Jets trading for Haason Reddick

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 29, 2024.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that the Jets offered Huff somewhere between $7-$10 million per season. If that's accurate, then it was an insult to Huff for his level of production, and it signaled to him that they only saw him as a part-time player. Even if that figure is not accurate, it's clearly obvious that the offer wasn't good enough because Huff didn't sign, and opted to test the FA market. He wouldn't have done that if he was happy here, felt respected/appreciated and thought he had a fair shot at starting here and failed. I think it wasn't long after the Jets made the offer that Huff said that he was not going to offer a hometown discount and that he wanted the opportunity to start, but I may be mistaken about that. At any rate, regardless of timing, Huff said that he wanted to start, believed he could be a good starter, and wasn't going to offer the Jets a discount. I never saw Huff say that he loved it here and would really like to stay. That makes it pretty clear to me how things went down. If the Jets were serious about wanting to keep Huff, they would have put the transition tag on Huff, then they could have opted to match whatever offer they received, and if not, received compensation.

So this is just my opinion. I never claimed it to be fact, it's just what I think is possible and perhaps likely.

#201 NCJetsfan, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If we are viewing losing Huff separately - that's an F. Trade for Reddick is a B. Overall - D? Maybe C-?

Basically we went from opportunity cost of having Huff long term to Reddick for 1 year and losing a 3d, possibly second. What would you grade that? I am willing to go as high as C-. But if we end up giving 2nd, it's a D for sure at best.

#202 Borat, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Okay you are just comparing the two still. Go throw in every other move this offseason for your overall grade. The two moves are separate.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

They are related though. Let me rephrase. How do you grade handling the edge spot? From what we had and could have done to what was actually done. Grade handling Edge this offseason.

5. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah he fucked it up. There was no reason to not pay Huff. I'm in agreement. Reddick is still a very good player so I'm not going to knock that because I'm pissed off they lost Huff. That's silly.

ouchy and Borat like this.
  6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I mostly agree. However, last year after Rodgers trade I have observed failures of both strategic and tactical nature. Picking McD for example. Ignoring OL. It's like JD fell asleep at the wheel. He does seem to be awake now though.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think three of us are exactly on the same page. In fact, this move alone moved an F grade of handling edge to about C level. Which is a big jump. At least I am not as concerned anymore about 2024 pass rush as I was a day ago. My overall feeling on this trade is that is does to a large extend mitigate the loss of Huff, but short term and for nearly the same price (15 mil). That mitigation needed to happen, and JD did what he had to do after failing to replace Huff in free agency. I don't like the provision where it may become 2nd. That would be a very high price to pay for a 1 year rental. And I do think this will be a 1 year rental, but you never know. Reddick will be 30 this season, and 31 the month 2025 season starts. I certainly would not be signing him to anything more than a 1 year extension if any at all. Best would be to see how he does this season. Also, these who are counting on a comp pick, this is far from a guarantee. It will depend on what Reddick will sign for when he leaves us and whom we will sign.

So, just on the merit of a trade itself given where we were before the trade I am happy with the trade (giving it a B) unless somehow it becomes a second rounder. In that case we got fucked. It looks based on how Saleh is using Edge that it is more likely to be 3d. But still I would have just tagged and then matched Huff, which would have given us elite young pass rusher for 3 years instead of 1 year rental and losing a 3d. This is purely my guess, but I think given whom the Jets targeted and the bits from press conference I can estimate the line of the JD/Saleh thinking here. Basically they still view Huff as a 3d down guy - not much more than a pure pass rusher who is not good defending run, not a three down player. And we already have a 1st round pick invested in a guy like that in McD, when JD fucked up the pick swap. So, unless we could have gotten Huff for cheap, they wanted someone who can provide a pass rush, but a good run defender in their estimation too. This is where Barrett and Clowney came in, Saleh's reference to some baseball closer on the press conference, low offer, etc... And finally getting Reddick, who is a solid run defender too.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Pretty good analysis of the situation by JetsXFactor's Nania: https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/03/30/ny-jets-edge-swap-haason-reddick-bryce-huff/

Conclusion is this: "But now that the Jets have added Reddick, the loss of Huff has been washed out, meaning the defense is poised to be just as good as it was last year (if not better). Yet, acquiring Reddick did not stop the Jets from substantially improving the offense. So, in the end, the Jets are going into the draft with an enormously improved offense and a net-zero defense, compared to the pre-free agency expectations of an enormously improved offense and a slight net-negative defense. That’s a major win. And all it took was a third-round pick that won’t make his NFL debut for another two years."

IMO, a good move, as long as it is a 3d rounder in the end, which all indications so far suggest it will be. Now a good OT and WR in the draft could cap off a very good off-season for JD.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's fine, and nobody disagrees with that. We're just saying it isn't the way to build a sustained contender.

We support these short term moves and then wonder why we have to do total rebuilds every 3-4 years like clockwork.

HomeoftheJets, ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

People said the same thing about the AVT trade draft capital. All these mid round picks add up, they're a major reason we had to go wild in FA to rebuild the OL in the first place.

Reddick is good, but edge is like #7 on the list of position groups we need reinforcements at.

HomeoftheJets, Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I’m not looking to pick a fight but i think i was pretty clear that i could speculate to the opposite position. There is no evidence either way — thus speculation; we can’t prove either position

Seems funny to bring up parsimony given that they’re paying Reddick serious money one way or the other as they would have for the other players they considered

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Words are indeed cheap.

abyzmul likes this.
  13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We could have tagged him and matched any deal. We didn't... That's pretty substantial evidence right there. At the very least we can conclude the Jets didn't want him at the price he got.

14. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

We couldn't have tagged him as has been explained a lot in orevious posts. It would not have been a smart move on our part, that said we should have signed him to an extension/new deal last year.

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

We don’t know yet if we lost huff for nothing. If two of our FAs sign before June 1st, we’ll likely get a 4th round pick for him next year.

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

if you remember, they used the entire time when the made the selection. It seems logical to conclude that they weren't necessarly sold on Mc and were trying to work the phones only there were NO takers; thus, the selection.

Borat likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Very plausible. The pick swap really fucked us up.

18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, it was not explained. It's true, some people said it, but they were wrong. The NFL rules are very clear. We could have easily tagged him if we wanted to, and transition tag was 19 mil. Then we match Philly's offer of 2 year, 34 mil guaranteed, 3d year team option, on the 1st day of free agency. It was not hard to do if we valued him at that price. The only explanation that makes sense is that we didn't value him in this range.

Again, I am satisfied with Reddick trade. Prior to that trade we had a gap that had to be filled, and that trade does temporarily mitigate Huff's loss, but I do want to state the facts that we have evidence that is was a conscious decision by JD to go that route, for better or worse.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

And if Philly didn't make an offer? We didn't want to be on the hook for 19 million, I understand that completely for a situational pass rusher.
    That 19 mill is all this year cap too, we couldn't afford it if we wanted to.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with that take. JD could have and imo should have done the restructure with Mosely that gave us a bunch of cap space, prior to FA. He could have done another restructure or two as well, or extended Reed and reduced his cap hit. If JD had done the deal with Mosely earlier, then he still would have had the money to go shopping in FA, and tag Huff. I think they knew the kind of offers that he was going to get in FA and had no intention of matching it.

Borat likes this.