Jets Trade For Cromartie (2011 Conditional)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JAMESDEARTH, Mar 4, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Good Call

I think you are right, he was 42 and then changed to 31.

Is there a website with players number info, past and present?

Hank Poteat too

#481 MadBacker Prime, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

^ Petro used to have that info here, but the link is gone.

3. MadBacker Prime

That'd be a good site to put together-

Some all knowing NFL site-

Who's coming with me?

4. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

5. MadBacker Prime

6. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Anyone know if we're giving up a 2nd or a 3rd round pick for Cro, now?

7. milo

milo Well-Known Member

I don't know the exact conditions but since he's playing out of his mind I'm assuming it's a 2nd, barring he gets put on IR in the next week.

They usually have something to do with playing time along with some fairly easy to hit performance numbers.

8. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

2nd may require us to re-sign him. Dunno.

9. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If he keeps playing the way he does I think he'll be back unless he wants Revis $$$. I said it before, the 2011 offseason is when we'll see how much playing for Rex REALLY means when money's on the line. If everybody wants to be back they're all gonna have to make concessions.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

read the first page.

11. milo

milo Well-Known Member

There's no way he's not back next year, unless the CBA just totally skull-fucks everything.

He's the one, out of Braylon, Holmes, and him, that I'm least worried about. I'd say Big Wood's out the door before Cro is.

Rex is a corner aficionado, and he's already got one project to work on in Kyle, he's not gonna take on two when he knows he's got a proven commodity.

12. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

He's going to be hugely expensive after this season. I think you're underestimating the cap problems the Jets have next season.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

Do you care to elaborate? The NYJetsCap.com site has the current salaries at about $110 MM. The current cap is about $135 MM. Assuming the cap stays the same, we'd have $25 MM to spend on guys like Harris, Cromartie, Edwards, Holmes ...

14. milo

milo Well-Known Member

Define hugely expensive...

If you mean Aso/Revis money, then you're right. Not gonna happen. But he's not getting that, from us or anyone else.

But if you mean a reasonable contract (ie 5 years for 45), then it's doable.

Nobody knows how the CBA's gonna change things, but the overall cap number will be higher. Best guess is 7-8% over 2009.

Ghost is going to free up about 400,000. Woody will free up roughly 3.2 million (mark it down now. He's not a Jet next year).

The rest I'm willing to leave up to Tanny, who's a fucking magician.

15. Tballlz63

Tballlz63 Active Member

we would also save $4,600,000 if we cut jenkins next season according to nyjetscap.com, so he's gonna be gone. That money will go to harris/cro.

16. rex-N-effects

rex-N-effects New Member

The problem is nobody knows what the cap will be next year so there is uncertainty right now. for all we know it could get a huge bump and we can sign everyone abck we want or it could take a huge hit and we lose every FA we have or near the same allowing us to keep a couple of guys (probably edwards and harris) letting holmes and cro walk. theyw ill sign huge deals elswhere and we'll get 2 extra 3rd round picks in the following draft

17. WhiteShoeWillis

Good point. I don't see any way we pay Jenkins that money.

Considering no one knows what the cap is going to be, saying something like "I think you're underestimating the cap problems the Jets have next season. " doesn't seem like a very good idea. Especially without backing it up with some kind of reasoning.

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Revis+Cro for a few more seasons. Hopefully, Jets can find a way to make it happen. Cro might have just joined but considering how he revived his career so dramatically this season, I'm hoping there's some loyalty to the organization. Then again, it's easy to say stuff like this about someone else's money.

#498 ajax, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  19. 624

624 Banned

I don't think the terms were ever released...but even after him playing so well people are still saying 3rd.

Could it be a high tackle number or something irrelevant to a corner like that?

Rex seemed confident he'd be this good, and they also seemed confident it'd be a 3rd round pick.

20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Actually there is no current cap. Last year the cap was 128. The Jets are at 111 with only 36 guys under contract for next year. Maybe you get rid of Jenkins, Vernon and Woody and get to 103. If the cap does climb to 135 then you have 32 to sign 20 guys, but Cromartie and Harris will cost 7-9 million each. You might be able to create some space if you extend Pace or Sanchez but it's going to be tight.

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but when you put together a great team in part by grabbing three good players (Edwards, Cromartie, Holmes) for cheap because they're so close to free agency, you're going to end up losing some guys.

EDIT: Also a lot of folks are saying the team is confident that it's going to be a third. Any source for that? I've never seen someone with the team say that.

#500 ManlyGenius, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010