Jets to sign Trumaine Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 13, 2018.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

bowles is on record that he never told revis to play off of receivers ... revis had discretion to play press or off

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

And if they let Johnson sign elsewhere, the remaining top CBs under 30 are:

EJ Gaines, who was very good last year, but also undersized with an injury history
    Rashaan Melvin, who I was intrigued by, but also only had one big season, which was last year
    TJ Carrie, who looks like a slot CB
    Mo Claiborne, who they still should resign

Don't see many other starting-caliber CBs available. It's tough, but I see why they signed him.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

When your team sucks and you have a gaping need, you have to overpay.... just how it works.
    Now if they can resign Clairborne (or maybe bring in the HoneyBadger) the backfield could be fun to watch (hoping the young safeties take a step forward in year 2)

BacktoQueens likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we landed the top CB on the market, a guy who this forum pretty much 100% wanted so can people be happy now?

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not overpaid
    [​IMG]

realistically he should have gotten more then norman. his market value was probably around 15-16 mil. 14.5 is a solid price

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Rich Cimini‏Verified account @RichCimini 5m5 minutes ago
    Trumaine Johnson's pending deal with the #Jets, per source: Five years, $72.5M ($14.5M APY). Includes $34M fully guaranteed. Close to the Revis deal in 2015 (5 years, $70M, with $39M fully guaranteed,

Costs less than Revis and will SURELY play better than he did, so I hope people are happy! Great signing!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Coaching DB's is a strength for Bowles, and I like what he was able to do with our rookie Safeties.
    DB's play a big role in our D as well, so at least we are matching strength with strength.

our DB coach Dennard was Johnson's coach with the Rams also, so he knows him well.
    I think this is a good scheme fit and a big upgrade, even if an overpay.

JetFanInPA likes this.
  8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I mean like all NFL contracts, only the guaranteed money really matters.

Even if you want to to argue that he is not good as the money owed, which could be valid, how much dead money is involved if he's cut after year 3? I would wager not very much.

9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

BR4D ,,I have to side with you here. This was definitely a need but he got much more than he is worth. Just because he was the best or one of the best CB s in this crop of free agents does not mean he was with $15 million---sorry to disagree with some of you fellows ,we did over pay ,,,but again it was a need

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would argue that this is an overpay. What Brad is saying is that it's a massive overpay that the team should be embarrassed by. That's just a foolish notion.

CBG likes this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If he plays at #1 CB level, it'll be worth it

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

How does Leo Williams feel about the deal?

Did it just solidify his position on what terms he is willing to accept and whether he might not demand a premium (like Mo Wilkerson did) to not hit the open market and let some other bad team drive his price way up?

The Jets keep doing the same thing over and over again. You can't pay a decent player like a superstar and not have it affect EVERY other player on the team in some way. You can't do that and not have it come back to bite you in the ass even years later in negotiations with your own players and free agents from other teams.

The Jets become "those guys that we can always get a big deal from" and if the big deal is not forthcoming the player takes his services to the highest bidder on the market.

This is not theoretical at this point. We saw the Jets pay David Harris top dollar a few years after they brought in Calvin Pace on a big deal. Neither player was a Pro Bowl caliber player but they both got paid like it for years. Harris most likely because Pace set the bar for him.

We saw Mo Wilkerson hold out for the top contract for a 3-4 DE for YEARS because he was the best defensive player on the team and everybody knows the best defensive player on the team is paid at the top of the spectrum (courtesy of Darrelle Revis holdouts and accommodations.)

The Jets spend good money for their players. They're not cheap at all. The problem is that they don't get good value for their dollar on the good money they spend on players.

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  13. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

another perspective on johnson's play ...

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Mo,,,,I think this is a lot of money for this guy,,I think he is okay but not worth what they paid. Im not sure they should be embarrassed but honestly I know its a need and Im on the fence with it . Im glad they addressed it but would not have blamed them for passing. I hope the scheme helps,,,,,,in retrospect I compare this guy to a Lito Sheppard back in the day ,,,,he was not Revis or Cromartie or ASMUGHA spelling lol but just an average guy that depending on scheme looked ok or bad,,,just my opinion

15. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Hes the top rated FA CD. He gets high marks everywhere. I expect hes easily going to be our best CB. Youre underrating him, sorry, dont agree

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He's tailor made for Bowles' defense, this shows it. Now whether or not we use him correctly is a different story...

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. Br4d

I'm not under-rating him. I think he's a solid CB. For that he should maybe have gotten $10M a year as the premium on being a free agent. That would have put him just north of Aqib Talib and Richard Sherman, both of who are too old to get a long-term deal at high figures right now but are also better CB's than Trumaine Johnson.

18. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Youre not signing the top CB in FA, with all the cap space all teams have for bargain basement money. He's better than a 10 mil CB.. Look at what Butler got, 12 mil. Its free agency, not a ranking system

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

He was ranked something like the 58th best CB this year. Evidently someone can name over 30 CBs who are better.

I didn't want him, but we needed to spend some money and had the hole, so I'm not gonna complain. I'd rather have signed Kyle Fuller, but he signed a Transition Tag so more than likely Chicago would have matched or we'd have had to pay even more for him. There were also several other younger CBs who would have undoubtedly been a good bit cheaper, but they may have been zone CBs or off man-type CBs. Since we're rebuilding, I'd rather have drafted a CB, especially since it's a pretty good and deep draft for CBs, but they may have other priorities.

20. Br4d

Yes, however good teams don't buy top of the market in free agency unless the guy is the last piece of the puzzle.

If your argument is that we're a bad team and therefore should do what bad teams do by signing top of the market free agents to top dollar contracts, well I don't know what to say about that.

There's no amount of checkbook that covers for bad drafting. The answer is to draft better and sign the few good players that you already had to good deals before they hit their walk year and you have to pay them like free agents.

If the top CB in FA was the top CB in the NFL then you might have an argument for paying him that way.

The CB in FA most years is maybe the 10th best CB overall. This year he's maybe the 16th or 17th #1 CB. We're paying him like he's #1.

ColoradoContrails likes this.