Jets Take a Look at Josh Freeman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DoubleDecker87, Mar 16, 2015.

1. greasyt

greasyt Member

I'd rather have a crab juice

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Looking under every rock for a QB. Bodes well for Geno.

PulseJet likes this.
  4. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Perhaps not given Smith's rookie contract, but on every other count it would be the right move.

Look previous posts here referred to Freeman's stay at Tampa being mishandled. But it's worse than that. He sucked in his third year, seemed to have a renaisance in his forth only to be so bad in his fith he was released. Then he played for the Vikings and was given the chance to start, which he did one game before playing is way down to third string, and in his sixth season with the Giants he didn't even make it as far as camp.

But he's probably a better Qb than Smith for all that.

6. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

If this was the old regime I would not like the idea. But it would appear that bringing him into camp to compete and such has a small chance of giving reward but there is no chance of it hurting the Jets because they could just cut him if its not working out or not play him. So why not give him a shot? Its the equivalent of getting a scratch off lottery ticket. Very little chance of getting a prize even though its possible to win huge but if you dont get anything out of it your not really concerned because you barley paid anything for it and just toss it out. I know its not nice to look at people that way haha

NYJalltheway likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

All I see is excuses and Smith has excuses too. He's not better than Geno Smith. He's a JAG.

8. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Just because he's a Jet and we've all become aggravated with his play doesn't mean every QB on the open market is automatically better. I would take Geno over him any day. I'm excited to see him with the new staff and new weapons but I would also have no problem taking a flyer on Freeman to see him we can turn him around as well.

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

No it wouldn't in any way shape or form. Sure geno has dissapointed but there would be no logic behind cutting a quarterback and 2 year starter in geno smith and replacing him with josh freeman who is a more known and well documented failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Big Blocker

For all his problems Freeman has accomplished far more than Smith. For awhile there he looked quite good. 2013 seems to have been the year he lost his way after having a good year in 12 when they added Jackson.

I don't consider Smith even as good as a JAG.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Good to know the FO is desperate for a QB as they should be.

12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is really opposed to signing freeman but to say we should cut geno and replace him w freeman outright makes little to no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yes, you definitely take a flier on Freeman. He's already proven that he can perform at the NFL level. He was surrounded by a bad situation in Tampa. Big, strong, and good arm. I think for him it was always more about the mental aspect of the game that he struggled with.

almbleamal likes this.
  14. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

You sound like a petulant child who isn't getting his way. In the NFL, money is everything. Why would you ever cut a Qb on his rookie contract who hasn't even been given a chance to work in Gailey's system or compete? And cut him for Josh freaking Freeman? This isn't Drew Brees we're talking about.

Geno Smith is not a good Qb, but in the end he is well worth his contract.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  15. Big Blocker

You must have missed that I did refer to Smith's contract as the sole item in his favor.

Smith and Freeman have similar ypa and completion percentage numbers, but Freeman was MUCH better protecting the ball, and had a significantly higher Qb rating.

Smith in my view is a documented failure. He is not categorically different in that regard than Freeman.

16. BrowningNagle

documented failure DESCRIBES josh freeman

Smith has failed in 1 system, Freeman has gotten multiple chances and f'ed it up over and over.

If they want to sign Freeman for pennies and a training camp tryout... by all means... but he's not better than Smith as of this moment and it would be stupid to suggest the Jets can cut Smith now that they signed this training camp tryout

17. Big Blocker

No need to call me names. I already referred to Smith's contract.

I have no reason to think a mere change of OC's will improve Smith enough to make him a likely success as an NFL Qb. I saw him play every game the last two years. THe OC was not the problem. He was.

Red Menace likes this.
  18. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

This shows how dire / desperate Macc and Bowles see the QB situation as right now.

Freeman has talent, but also has a bunch of personal baggage and from how it sounded in Tampa and Minnesota, perhaps some substance abuse or mental health issues which he may or may not be in a better place with. The guy would fail to show up for meetings.

Even if he had the greatest private workout in NFL history, I would have a hard time trusting him on and off the field.

#38 al_toon_88, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    jxc and Big Blocker like this.
  19. Big Blocker

As a general matter we must acknowledge the following.

While Bowles is entitled to pick his OC, I think he did so in part because as new HC he feels he could use Gailey around as a kind of sounding board on general team management issues. That's a good idea. But let's not forget that Gailey has been out of football for awhile. I don't know of anybody trying to get him to coach for them during that period.

And I think while Ryan was problematic in managing the O last yaer as well as before that, the single biggest thing he did wrong last year was to let Smith start too far into the season, and in not supporting Vick more. Meanwhile there is nothing about the way Smith played that seemed like Marty was the one holding him back or not supporting him enough.

Let me put it this way - saying Smith will start playing much better because the OC has been changed is wishful thinking by Smith Fans.

20. BrowningNagle

See I think its big a stretch to say this shows how desperate they see the QB position.

between now and TC they are going to sign many JAGs, many documented failures, many "has-beens" and "never-was" types at virtually every position for a chance to fight for a roster spot in camp. Why is it when they do the same at QB, you are viewing it as an admission of a dire situation? It's just another body for training camp. When they sign one at DL will it show how desperate they see the DL situation? of course not