Jets sign Wadsworth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That's well known. I have no idea why he was signed but he was a #3 overall pick out of school and probably would have been great if he didn't have career ending injuries.

2. Jetscrazy87

Jetscrazy87 Member

the reason we signed him is for depth, being a first round draft pick who showed a lot of talent in the few games he did play in before he got injured. But he claims hes ready to come back and be an impact player, so he was a cheap signing and the worst that could happen is he gets released cus he cant play up to the level hes set for himself or he can be an effect player and provide for our defense.

3. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

This is the old garage sale drive by for the Jets. Sometimes you can find that incredibly valuable something by rummaging through all the crap, and only pay $4 for it. If he works out, great. If not, he's cut during camp with no cap implications. But the guy had talent and never felt right leaving the game. Got himself into shape and, who knows? It's a low risk gamble

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

He apparently had an incredible workout for the FO to prove that he was in good physical conditioning, plus he's low risk/high potential reward. The question is, why wouldn't you do this?

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No different then signing UDFAs. If we works out fine, if not it basically costs you meal money (which in his case may be a lot)

#145 Don, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Some people here act like we signed him to a 5 year 20 million dollar contract...

It will have VERY little effect on the cap either way..

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

how long have you been living in a cave?

hes a low risk high reward player signed to the league minimum...so why the hell not?

8. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

NICE RESEARCH MAN!!
    You could check back in the 5 other threads about him that all would have told you the same thing. Wadsworth was a top 5 pick and had a solid rookie year until he blew out his knee. He then did it 3 more times and has been rehabbing ever since. Apparantly he had a crazy good workout with the jets and ran something like a 4.5 or 4.6. Hes unbelievably athletic so why not? We gave him a minimum contract and if he doesnt look good we cut him...no harm no foul.

9. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Because if he's even close to what he used to be he'd be Adalius Thomas like at a fraction of the cost. That's why.

10. DBWarren23

DBWarren23 Active Member

Wadsworth was one of the best pash rushers OF ALL TIME! when he was in college. Injuries set him back, but he has been working very hard recently to get back in the NFL. He impressed a few teams in workouts, and the Jets picked him up for cheap. If he has a good camp, and makes the team, he will be a valuable situational pass rusher. If he sucks in camp, or gets hurt again, we cut him and lose nothing.

You can't criticize this move.

11. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Absolutely! I'm hoping that a Thomas/Wadsworth OLB combo would wreck havoc in the oppositions' backfield.

I'm beginning to think that if Wadsworth is anywhere near what he was (before the injuries ravaged him) that he would be that "X" factor that just throws everything into overdrive.

We'll know the truth soon enough.

12. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

I remember Wadsworth when he was at FSU; in fact, I heard about him when he was in high school in Miami.

He came to Florida State as a 210 pound player and through creatine and hard work, he turned into a 285 pound monster. His knee injuries were the biggest reason why he did not do anything. I think that he was as chronic with his knees as Eric Swann, and that's really bad.

Maybe a little time off to rest those knees may help him a great deal. As a collegiate, he was as quick and dominant as anyone; he reminded me of Tony Casillas from Oklahoma. He's a solid, low risk, high reward, wait and see player.

13. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

I don't see what the problem is... people act like we signed him to a long term cap busting deal. If he is in great shape and is hungry for a comeback, like they are saying he is, then why not see what he has in camp? There is no risk at all. Why are people even ripping on this move?

14. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Wadsworth will make the team and get some playing time... chalk it up.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

16 sacks. Write it down..... :lol:

16. norm428

norm428 New Member

Hey Chad came back and played 16 games for the first time and won come back player of the year. Ya never know. It would be a great story if Wads even made the roster. I smell a movie in the making!

17. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

Come back player of the year .... (I can dream can't I).

18. Icon139

Icon139 New Member

If the jets were smart they would sign Keyshawn. Yep I said that. Full circle baby.

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

There are at least 3 threads about this...FULL CIRCLE BABY!

20. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

...or a book, at least a book.