Jets sign Wadsworth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Andre Wadsworth probably graded out as high as Julius Peppers or Mario Williams when he entered the draft, because his size and skill was incredible, he was one of those rare BIG DE's who can fly off the edge like a smallish edge rusher, that's why he was a TOP 3 Pick {if memory serves?}

This player was not a bust, as another poster pointed out {correctly, I might add}, his career was derailed by injuries .. it was one serious injury after another

Now I don't know what comes of this move, probably nothing at all, certainly it's a longshot with the amount of time he's been away from the game, but if this player is healthy, in condition and motivated, this move was worth a shot for the short money, which I'm sure is all we paid .. low risk, high reward

Think of it this way, even if he just locks on as a situational pass rusher or an effective rotational guy this will have been a good move for chump change, and if it doesn't workout it will cost us practically nothing to say "nice try"

#21 Jabba the Jet, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  2. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

u heard it here first...he's gonna start at some point during the season. i'm sure he didn't forget how to play. if he avoids injury, he starts on this team

3. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

nice. lets pick up every bust in nfl history :rofl:

4. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

will JEFF GEORGE be far behind? LOL I like the signing! WADSWORTH can play!

5. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

well, he wasn't signed to be a starter... thats for sure.

6. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

...Mangini came from a system (NE) that took shit and turned it into gold, unlike some of you, I have faith in Tangini that they know what they're doing...if one or two of these players turns out as a player, then it was clearly worth taking a shot...and as several posters have mentioned, the risk/reward is considerable low...remember they grabbed Hank Poteat off of waivers from NE and he contributed well last season, even out-playing some over-priced players....

7. JetsLookingforDWare

TF is Mangini doing? Doesn't he know we only accept superstars here?

8. MikeSLTJ23

he was not a bust at all...just wait...u'll be eating those words...he was gonna be a star, now he's got a 2nd chance to become one...i think he's gonna do it

9. Quack

Quack New Member

I've got a feeling about this.
    No, wait, it's more than a feeling, when we sign this old guy that used to play. More than a feeling. I begin dreaming, till' I see Wadsworth sacking away.

I see Wadsworth sacking away.

In all seriousness, unless he gets injured again, I think that this man will be anchoring the NY Jet's defense this year and possibly for years to come. He's probably got more of a hunger for the game than any rookie, backup, or heck, pretty much anyone. You heard it here first: Injury barred, this man will live up to his original potential.

10. DaBallhawk

dude i wasnt trying to bash mangini. i just thought it was funny thats all.

11. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

I agree. Not costing us anything to see if he's healthy. If he's half as good as he was, it'll be worth it. Oh, and he's 32.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2813810

12. DaBallhawk

:rofl:

he will turn 33 in october.
    he was out of football for 7 or 8 years.
    his right knee was already destroyed when he was ~25 years old.

this guy is going to be a STAR? oh please. he will be lucky to make this team.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

yup. another low risk/high reward type deal, but at his age and with his history i'm not getting my hopes up. not a bad move.

btw - does anyone know how many DE's have we signed now?

14. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

All these DE signings make me think that Mangini is thinking about keeping Robertson at NT. I think he would be so much better on the end, but what do I know.

15. MikeSLTJ23

good job of twisting my words...i said he has a 2nd chance to become one...33 means jack shit...he's been out of football for 7 or 8 yrs as u said, so what does 33 mean? he hasn't taken the same beating other players have.

his knee was destroyed? destroyed knees don't give players 2nd chances...he has a 2nd chance now to make the team and to make an impact...and yes, a chance to become a star at THIRTY THREE

i don't even know why you responded in this thread again...as soon as you called him a bust, you demonstrated your ignorance on the subject...try educating yourself before trying to establish an argument...at least this time you checked his age (although not much else)

i'll do the math for you though...

guy walks on to florida state b/c he has no offers
    guy becomes top defensive player in the draft
    guy is very productive when he's in
    guy has ridiculous injury string
    guy out of football
    guy tries to make it back into football despite having a lot of money

tell me...you're going to shut out a 33 yr old with that kind of work ethic and that kind of ability? i'm glad you have nothing to do with the franchise

16. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Wadsworth is our 19th Defensive End signed in the last 3 weeks. I think that we are pretty much set at DE for the next few months.

19DE's and 1DT. :) Happy Joy...

17. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Thanks FMiami, I edited that out

18. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Well than him and d rob should have lots to talk about.:up:

19. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

he was a huge bust. Repeated knee injuries played a part in his not succeeding, but he was definitely a bust. Wasted high draft pick (3rd overall?) and millions of dollars. Not to mention the roster spot.

Wads was definitely not worth the pick.

20. I hope you're kidding...