Jets sign Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

It might be sitting there for 5 years, but it would be the same amount of money. The way it's structured now, you're still hampered the same amount of money ($39 million), but it's packed into three years and, if you still want the player in years 4 and 5, you are almost assuredly going to have to come up with more money (including guaranteed money) for those two years. Essentially, we just gave him a 3 year, mega contract ($16 mil/yr) with 80% guaranteed money. It's unheard of for a non-QB.

2. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Anyone think Rex is on suicide watch this morning? Idzik gets rid of his favorite (and most important toy) and screws Rex, and right after Rex is fired, they bring the man back to take out Sammy Watkins (his only wr)...

That must be brutal for Rex.

James Hasty and Falco21 like this.
  3. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

Gotta be honest here... I was 80% sure Revis was signing to the Jets once it became clear it was all about the $$... but I didn't think it would sting. It does. Good luck #24 and thanks for being an integral part in bringing Lombardi trophy back to Foxboro. I will continue to cheer against the Jets, but can't cheer against Revis. AFC East gets tighter by the day across the board...

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it wasn't clear to you from the start that he would sign where he could get the most money?? I understand Revis wasn't there very long but you Pats fans really didn't know much about him. Jets fans across the board knew whatever team offered him $0.25 more would be where he would sign

chris5533 likes this.
  5. EmbraceTheHate

EmbraceTheHate Active Member

No, I guess it wasn't. I had a strong sense that was the case, but it wasn't 100% clear to me despite his past behavior. I erroneously considered that if the Patriots were close in terms of $'s, he might stay due to a desire to be in position to compete for another ring.

In the end, Revis got what he wanted (the $), the Jets got what they wanted (the player), and the Patriots got what they wanted (the Super Bowl). Not a ton to be completely upset about, but it obviously hurts losing him. I do have faith the $ that was attempting to be allocated to Revis will be spent wisely, across a number of potential extensions/upgrades.

6. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Any word on what the Pats were offering him vs what he signed for ?

7. Tunamelt

Tunamelt Member

His "past behavior" is perfectly reasonable. He's trying to maximize the value of his career, that's all. This is what pro athletes do.

Revis has been decried as a "mercenary" on this board, but he's really just doing what pros do in every pro sport. Go where the most money is.

8. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

I think I saw somewhere in the $35 million range, but it's probably still to early to know the exact details

9. no psls

no psls Banned

What makes you so stupid , Mo?

10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'm all for the signing. The guy is a Jet. But backloading Revis is not the way to go unless you want to pay him 16 mil per season. But it's worth it. And if they'd have played games with him he'd have signed with Rex.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Revis never wanted to leave the Jets. That's been recorded, reported and a fact. And I think he wanted to return last year and was hurt the Jets/Idzik didn't come calling so he took a short term contract to rehabilitate his image. Just happened to be with the Pats.

Revis wants to get paid, but I think it is obvious his preference was to get paid AND play for the Jets. To make him out as some mercenary who didn't care where he played is dishonest.

Kris 15, Poeman and milcus like this.
  12. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

This is so true. There were reports last year that Revis' people reached out to Idzik themselves since he was too incompetent to get Revis back, and he still turned him down. Many dismissed that as non-sense, but it seems to be 100% true based on what has happened. The dude never wanted to leave, and should have never been traded. However, he is back, and I am absolutely stocked to see the best Jet ever return to the field as a Jet...

13. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

100 percent... Case en point what a clown idzik was, these guys come n and do everything he wouldn't do.. I'll never understand how he got that job.. He'll go down as one f the Worst gm in all sports.

14. chris5533

The trade was the right move... Revis had been impossible and was demanding huge money again coming off a major injury.. You a 100 percent right on not resigning him when he was clamoing to come back.. After being cut the jets could have locked him up for cheaper.. Idzik was pure incompetence so he passed... Remember we signed dimitri Patterson. Lol

15. chris5533

What I read is the pats were 5 mill off... Some frustration that they wouldn't bend and let him go. But I'm not sure how accurate. There fans and writers are scrambling and worried about losing revis and browner.. Allot of hostility on there board. If correct to let him walk for 5 mill difference is insane

16. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

If they lose Revis over $5mil spread over a few years and Browner over whatever he is going to get that is going to be pretty hilarious.

17. chris5533

I just read another report that said there gurantee money was in the mid 30s... Jets got him for 39 guaranteed.. It seems like that may be right, pats fan are frustrated as there philosophy is put a value on a guy and don't go over.. They feel with whatwith did on the field he was worth going over.. There even worried about mccourty and Chung, basically saying they had such break out years because of revis and browner.. Now there whole secondary is fucked.

deerow84 likes this.
  18. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I like these headlines. [​IMG]

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yay we won the front pages war! Woody must be beside himself

Br4d and tiger8mush like this.