Jets sign G Laken Tomlinson...3 Years $40 mil. $27 mil Guaranteed

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 14, 2022.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Somebody please knock on wood.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!! SMH at how the delusional, clueless poster thinks he knows more than the Jets.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I like the signing, Fant, AVT, CM, Tomlinson, Becton. That sounds like a good oline heading into the season, with a good draft this team will be in playoff contention.

I know Jets have to fill defensive holes as well and your statement applies to all the positions of need we have, when they are drafted we can have them for 5 years.

You know that my concern is not JD, it’s the CS, simply too young, and Ulbrich just doesn’t do it for me.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just go back to sleep permanently. We don't need "fans" (NOT!!!) like you rooting for the team.

5. Red Menace

Lawson and Becton missed the whole year last year, injuries can happen to any player.

With this signing Jets have acknowledged that RG was a problem and addressed it, they also probably are looking to be in contention for playoffs this year with a solid draft hence why they signed him.

This signing reminds me of the Faneca signing when jets needed a LG, it helped to transform the oline and no one expected them to play for chance to get to SB.

I’m not saying they are going to the SB, please don’t take my statement in that way, but the team has to be built according to their blueprint, JD and Saleh believe team wins in trenches and these signings are working towards that blueprint.

#65 Red Menace, Mar 14, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    ColoradoContrails, FJF, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Slauson was drafted. That's the way you are supposed to do things.

I think you are thinking of the Faneca signing and at that time the Jets saw themselves as contenders despite a flop season the year before.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Red Menace

Thank you for the correction, as I’m reading it I’m saying it’s not him, yes Faneca.

Becton, AVT were both drafted, nothing wrong with this signing, with a strong draft this team is contending for playoffs this year.

My concern is CS.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Or Faneca...

9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I would. They are old as fuck or dead now!

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

As it turns out, the first day of FA on this board is a lot like the board after a game. Going to extremes over everything.

We make no moves in the first 2 hours - "WTF, we are screwing the pooch!"

We sign one guard, "Were playoff contenders".

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Has anyone actually said anything more than it’s a good/great signing because he’s a top player at one of our biggest positions of need?

Noam, FJF, Nyjets4eva and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I like the signing. He knows the system and it’s a position of need. Paid a premium but that’s fine if the production is there.

ColoradoContrails and Nyjets4eva like this.
  13. Red Menace

I believe the Jets should be playoff contender this year with a good draft, if not, then they need to think about making changes to CS.

Hoping team is in playoff contention is not being extreme, it should be an expectation, teams exist for one reason only, win!

ouchy likes this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Jamir’s not like the Jets are signing aging players. Thrown in this years draft they jets could still build youth and depth at OL by drafting 2 OLs. It would be a good blend of youth and veterans at OL and exactly what the Jets need as long as they are solid contributors. I am happy.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Upgrade the literal WORST position on the roster with a Pro Bowl player? How can anyone complain? Great move, Joe D!

16. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Lets go. Solid, solid signing. Your roster isn't going to be 53 drafted players.

This is the kind of signing that lets you take the late round guard and learn from a top professional so in 3 years when that contract is up he steps in.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It looks like first two years are fully guaranteed with 3d year team option, so we have him for at least two years, possibly three. I would not characterize this move as "bandaid" signing. Band-Aid is usually a one year or less signing of an OK player, whom you will be replacing next off-season with a much better option. Perhaps like Shaq Lawson was last year, or how Avery Williamson was for Pitt when we traded him there.

2-3 years is a significant chunk of time, and we are getting a Pro Bowl player, who hasn't missed a snap. This is a major signing by JD.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and ouchy like this.
  18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Think a lot of folks are forgetting that Becton is a massive injury question mark. Has played in less than half of the games since he was drafted. That might be bad luck (or Van Roten) but it is still an issue.

On Tomlinson, absolutely love the move. He has been playing very well and is from the same scheme

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

rumor is we are trying to bring back LDT as depth. I assume he's going to chase money/starting job but if he can't find one we could bring him back as depth. if we do, then GVR likely gets cut.

20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

So does he make it through the third quarter of game 1 for us? No... what am I saying... probably not.

He'll either get rolled up from behind, hit by a bolt of blue lightning, taken out in training camp somehow. Mosley, Lawson, Joyner... seems like 1 or two others. We've had rough luck of late with free agent blowouts.