Jets sign C Connor McGovern

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 17, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

We are not done yet I look to see Douglas add more Fant like deals. He could step in at LT. It's not an over the top deal. If we add wr, edge, cb like this when the draft hits we will have leeway to take top of our board.its a good plan. This isn't a one year build all these signing make sense and give us time to build properly through the draft. Fill all holes in fa cheap but efficient and take the best we can get via draft. Fant could compete for either tackle or play a role like in Seattle depending how the draft goes. McGovern is a great pick up for a great price and fills a need for years.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think Douglas sees Fant as a good fit for our zone blocking scheme and less of a good fit in Seattle's. Don't forget that he's only been playing football for 4 years, and the first year was in college, where he played TE. He was going to be Seattle's starting LT in 2017 but then was injured and missed the season.

I think it depends upon what Douglas told Fant. If he told him the LT job was his, then it's Fant's spot to lose. If he only promised him the opportunity to compete for the starting LT spot, then that's a different matter. If it's the latter and Douglas takes an OT at #11, I think the plan will probably be to have them compete, with the winner getting the starting job and the loser getting the starting RT job.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'd love Yannick but I believe Jacksonville applied their franchise tag to him a couple of days ago I could be wrong.

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The rookie has alot more experience though. But personally I don't think Whirfs plays LT in the NFL. Not at first at least. Fant has about a handful of games, lifetime and graded out dead last. Not what we need on Darnolds blindside. Especially with Lewis beside him.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No they did I was just reading about it. They would probably agree to a sign and trade but at what cost? Would JD be able to trade a 2021 first rounder instead of next months first rounder ? I figure next years first rounder would of been an EDGE anyway.....

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets are high in Edoga at RT, so say we somehow get Andrew Thomas and they want Edoga playing at RT, that puts Fant back in that swing tackle role. That's what I've been saying.

Really hoping we grab a tackle to provide the level of competition needed.

7. J-Raw24

I would think the loser will compete with Edoga. Also I think McGovern may play center or a guard spot. It depends on the draft. There will most likely be a rotating line until we have clear cut starters. I think at the moment he is just filling holes. Anything can happen draft day. Smart to fill the holes and draft because how good players are than try to fill holes in the draft. I would expect we still take one OT and one IOL in the draft and have a competition across the board. Also as I stated I could see us do the same idea at other spots, like sign McKenzie Alexander cheap and draft a cb then have open competition for the spots. Same at edge and wr.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

No way I rather just pay Clowney huge $ or get Fowler on a great deal and save our 1st round pick.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Really good signing, have Jets fans come off the ledge now? He’s durable starting 31 of his last 32 games and best of all disciplined with over 2500 snaps in his career and only 9 penalties including 0 last year. Think he only game up 1 sack last year too. Also young and ascending.

Would love to still sign Van Roten & one of Beachum/Peters which would give us the flexibility of going with best available OL or WR in the draft.

10. J-Raw24

Neither one of those 2 have been consistent over any part of their career. Neither deserve the contract they will get. I don't want to give up the draft capital, but I also wouldn't pay either what they are projected to make.

Cromartie's_kid and chandler like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I disagree with this for a couple of reasons. One, unless the rookie comes in and just blows Fant away, the competition could last for several weeks and Fant and the rookie would be alternating snaps at both LT and RT. Edoga wouldn't have received that many snaps at RT. His best shot would be beating out Winters at RG or Lewis at LG (if Van Roten or Wisniewski) aren't signed, which I hope one or both will be.

Two, the success of an OL is based on chemistry, knowing what the players beside them are going to do, how they are going to respond/handle to certain situations, and then develop their timing so they work as a unit. A rotating line would be a disaster. There would be no sense of timing, chemistry, or precision working together.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

There price is plummeting every day they remain unsigned. I’d love to come away with either of them on a good deal. I think the one thing we know about JD already is he won’t overpay for anyone.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Is the panic over Douglas not doing anything over yet? Looks like he's got a plan and sticking to it. More importantly it looks like a GOOD plan - the exact opposite of the former GM's plan of not drafting or signing OL.

14. J-Raw24

Edoga will be in that rotation, the cs and douglas have already admitted to being high on him. I think there will be rotation. The weaker will get less snaps as the offseason goes on. It maybe Fant as swing tackle we won't know until preseason most likely

15. J-Raw24

I know. But I don't think it has dropped massively yet as we can't actually sign them until noon on the 18th. Maybe in a week it will be reasonable. As you stated though Douglas is doing a good job sticking to his guns.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, but it all depends upon what Douglas told Fant. If Douglas promised Fant that the starting LT job was his to lose, or even if he just promised an opportunity to compete for the starting LT job, Fant will be disgruntled, if he isn't given that opportunity and is just moved to swing tackle/hybrid TE like he was in Seattle.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The coaching staff may have been high on Edoga last year because of the dearth of talent on the OL last year. Mediocre-to-bad (Edoga) always looks better around totally-bad ( rest of MacCagnan OL).

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

My opinion only, but the jets are not paying Fant $10M a year to do anything except start.

IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well he’s better than both of those guys however if they were to sign Fowler for free it’s still an improvement ...

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

ascending is the operative word. DOn't sign players at their peak -- sucker's bet

i can see Beachum coming back for continuity plus a pro. Issue is he's been getting banged up which whether because of condition or age is an issue

Don't see Peters here. Osemele and Kalil were reminders about the risks of old linemen. having said that i wouldn't be shocked

NCJetsfan likes this.