Jets select QB Bryce Petty in round 4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 2, 2015.

1. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

The only thing Geno did two years ago was stick around for the embarrassment of not going round 1. No one talks about Eddie Lacy (who left) and the others who considered dipping after the first night and they never have. The spotlight was on Geno from the get-go. The only thing that matters now is how he plays but some of the ignorance around here prevents that.

#861 DoubleDecker87, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Different positions are looked at from different points of view. QB has to shoulder a lot and if he folded just because he wasn't picked in the first round that does say plenty about his mental make up. Granted it may have had something to do with only having one night hotel reservation and having the cost to change the plane ticket but for someone who was going to be signing a $5M contract money should not have been an issue.

I am unsure how what you perceive as ignorance has any effect on his play.

3. DoubleDecker87

Not sure if that bolded part is bad English or you just didn't understand but I''ll reply as if your asking why it prevents us focusing on strictly his play which is what I said...

And the answer to that is not really hard. The fact we are discussing what he did or did not do on his draft day 2 years ago rather than what he does on the football field is ignorant.. Not hard to understand.

4. The Waterboy

What he did draft day 2 years ago gave teams a glimpse of his mental makeup which is still relevant today and his poor decision making skills in game have been quite evident. In discussing a player you discuss the whole player, especially the QB position where the mental aspect of the game is extremely important. Bringing up something from 2 years ago to make a point about his current play is done all the time, not sure why it bothers you so much.
    I don't think Geno has the mental acuity to progress much beyond his current level. I base my thoughts on what I have seen him produce on the field and his past decision making. Ignoring the past, which gives a glimpse into the future is ignorant.

5. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Ummmm, you left out the more important factor vis-a-vis Luck.

His father was an NFL QB.

BIIIG Advantage..

6. DoubleDecker87

So what your saying is him sticking around through the embarrassment while others dipped should portray him as a better person than the ones who left? Because if we're bashing him for a report which had him considering leaving the draft that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

7. The Waterboy

Lacy rushed for over 1100 yard each of his first 2 seasons adding 257 and 427 yards receiving, I don't think his play is in question and as a running back his mindset is not near as important as Geno. If Geno was putting up top 10 numbers we wouldn't be having these discussions. Because he sucks on the field is one of the worst QB in the league other issues are brought up. That you don't realize a QB's mental fortitude is important says a lot.

#867 The Waterboy, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  8. DoubleDecker87

Nobody gives a damn where they were when they got drafted. Geno, Lacy, nor anyone else had any responsibility to stay another night during the draft. He should've left period after they put him on blast night 1 but he stayed which makes this argument even less meaningful. The only reason it's even being talked about is because we have nothing else to talk about and us jet fans love to hate on whatever we can.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Paging Charlie Kelly so he can respond to the three people that called him out for being completely wrong.

10. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yea blow me, so I was wrong

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

At least he's man enough to admit when he's wrong

12. The Waterboy

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/01/criticism-of-geno-smith-mounts-after-the-draft/
    It appears some did give a damn, some of those being people that do the drafting. The reason it is being talked about here is because he has not shown he can play good enough to lead the team.

13. DoubleDecker87

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. His behavior during draft day?

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you out of your fucking mind?

Maybe he did drink his own kool-aid before the draft, hyping himself up. We don't know. Maybe that's why he felt he was disrespected. Who knows?
    But - in the grand scheme of things - WHO FUCKING CARES? ARE YOU SAYING GENO SUCKS AND YOU COULD SEE HE WOULD FROM THAT DRAFT DISASTER? BOO FUCKING HOO??

2. I don't like Geno for one and only reason - he sucks on the field. I don't hate the kid as a person and I never will. All I care about is Geno Smith THE QUARTERBACK. Everything else? They should be all bygones by now.

Holy shit - I never expected to find people bitching about Geno's behavior during the fucking DRAFT DAY. Lay off - will ya? He's but a kid after all. He hasn't lived 30 years yet for crying out loud.

westiedog1 and DoubleDecker87 like this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I guess it's a moot point now. Gailey announced today that Geno is the starter.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Hopefully, it's a very good sign that Geno is looking a lot better. Of course, it could be that Fitz' injury isn't healing as quickly as was thought. Otherwise, I can't understand why he would make the announcement this early. I would have thought that he would have let Fitz and Geno battle it out in TC.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think the bold is a big reason why Chan made the announcement in the first place.