Jets select QB Bryce Petty in round 4

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 2, 2015.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong...I think this Bryce kid is pretty neat.

But I also realize that when I haven't gotten laid in a while...fat chicks start looking better.

DMarsh6, jetsons, IDFjet and 7 others like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Personally I don't want him to start till he is good enough to succeed and not become yet one more premature casualty at the hands of the merciless NY media and impatient Jet fans. I trust this HCS will not have their heads up their ass when it comes to QB development. If he blows the rooftop out of training camp I would be ecstatic, if not we wait.

But will tell you this, IMO when Petty becomes the QB we all hope he can be, and lead the Jets to a SB at some point, the 2015 draft including all the other talent with Leonard, Smith and the like might go down in the history of the Franchise as the best since the inception of the team.

Something tells me this kid is very special, he is tough, smart, patient and a winning leader. Sooner or later he will capture NY by storm, and when he does, the AFC will see a shift in power long overdue.

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

A Master's degree actually isn't that difficult to acquire, it's more of a matter of "time" than "intelligence". At the end of 4 years you can graduate your university with a Bachelor's but you are granted the opportunity to stay for a 5th year and get your Master's, regardless of your GPA or success or what have you. Since Bryce stayed at Baylor for so long due to red shirting and backing up, he had ample opportunity to get the degree.

With that said, it's still an impressive achievement and Petty is well known to be a very smart individual, I was just commenting that having a Master's degree doesn't translate to football in many ways. Greg McElroy and Ryan Fitzpatrick are both absolute geniuses. Intelligence isn't really indicative of your ability to grasp NFL passing concepts or defenses, Jameis Winston isn't regarded as very smart but he's a football savant.

Having a good brain will probably help Petty absorb information quickly and adapt, but the correlation isn't 1 to 1.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

It doesn't mean anything about football, true.

But complete morons don't usually get Masters so it appears he's not a true moron.

So in a choice as to whether my QB has a Masters or not, I'd rather he have a Masters.

But again, speaks nothing to his true intelligence or football IQ.

_

Big Cat likes this.
  5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

fwiw he got a high Wonderlic score also, 31, that's pretty high. It's an indicator that he has a better chance to succeed.

Give him a chance to go up the learning curve at his pace. Don't force feed him they way we saw with Marky and Geno.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

With the coverage Petty has been getting so far, I'm so convinced he'll be our starter come 2016.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO! Believe me, you can't die from lackanookie.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US, 79% are males. How much of that is sexual frustration? probably a good portion.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha I have a Masters and the kids I got it with are the last ppl on earth I want QBing the Jets

10. JStokes

As do I, but it was a lot different back then.

But seriously, if you had to choose between QBs from spread offenses who are nearly identical in ability, would you rather have the QB with enough booksmarts to earn a Masters or the QB with lesser booksmarts?

It's not a football related thing, but these spread offense QBs are going to have to do a lot of learning on and off the field.

Give me the guy smart enough or motivated enough to get the Masters over the guy drawing pictures and writing awful poetry.

_

11. NCJetsfan

That depends largely upon the degree program/discipline one in which one is seeking to get a Master's degree and the school. Also, what were his grades like in his Master's program? Did he graduate with honors? Cum Laude? Magna cum Laude? Summa cum Laude? or just Thank the Lordy?

12. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Doesn't RGIII have his Master's?

13. JStokes

He might.

_

14. JStokes

He was studying for it but doesn't appear he got it.

_

15. BaylorFerg

BaylorFerg New Member

Petty was a 3 time Academic All-Big 12 honoree and made the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll eight times.

#795 BaylorFerg, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Royal Tee and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the info. I figured that was the case after hearing him speak.

17. JStokes

All I've wanted for the past few years is a smart QB. A QB with high football IQ.

That Petty is apparently a pretty booksmart kid does not upset me at all.

Speaks nothing of his football IQ but at least he going to be able to tell time when he crosses over into another time zone.

_

18. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Where the fuck did you go to college that this was the case?!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. JStokes

Yeah my MBA was fucking hard. Much harder than law school.

However I have heard of the 5 year program but I think that's a relatively recent thing.

_

20. NCJetsfan

Yeah, and besides, my Master's Program was a two-year degree program, not one year.