Jets Roster for 2016/2017 Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Will, May 1, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Stacy and Bohanon won't make the roster. I don't see why McDougle should be on the squad either unless he's playing special teams. Enunwa should be able to fulfill Bohanon's role

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

we ain't getting Petty on the practice squad. If the Jets want to keep Petty and reach a deal with Fitzpatrick they are going to have to keep 4 QBs. Someone who considered Petty in last year's draft would easily extend an offer if we try to cut him, there are lots of teams without developmental QBs out there that will see Petty as their guy for that role.

almbleamal likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

I agree completely on Stacy. Bohanon though has a shot simply because this team has no TEs. Like him or not he plays the role of the additional blocker. That role could go to a TE/ H-back type but they all suck worse than Bohanon. The spot is his unless Sudfeld or Amaro can show they can stay healthy and can block in that h-back spot.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I sure hope you're right about Stacy and Bohannon. I think each would represent a wasted roster spot.

How exactly will Enunwas fill Bohannon's role? Enunwa's a good blocker when blocking DBs and maybe LBs, but not OL. I think the Jets would be much better served using one of the extra OL, DL or LBs as a blocking FB. If you're referring to Bohannon catching a pass out of the backfield, then Powell, Forte, Enunwa or hopefully Amaro could fulfill that role.

5. NCJetsfan

You really think so? Last year I would definitely have agreed with you, but since he has been inaccurate and struggling so far this offseason, I'm not sure any other team would have any interest in him, even as a developmental QB. He has the same issues as last year. He played in a spread offense and has trouble reading Ds and going through his progressions. His accuracy seems worse than last year.

6. BrowningNagle

I doubt general managers are keeping up to date on OTA reports from idiot reporters like Cimini. They'll see that the same player they scouted just last year is available and view him the same how they viewed him 12 months ago

7. NCJetsfan

No, they wouldn't listen to or trust reports from Cimini, but the fact that the Jets traded up to get him last year then released him this year, after only one year, would, imo, speak volumes about Petty, and those volumes wouldn't be good. Gailey is the perfect coach for Petty and Gailey's system probably the perfect system for Petty. If the Jets were giving up on him that quickly or reducing him to a PS player, then I would have to think that wouldn't look good for Petty. Some team might still sign him simply because he's a QB with a strong arm, but I'm starting to think he would actually pass through waivers and go unsigned.

8. BrowningNagle

or they'd see the Jets decision as a typical Jets QB decision. They have loaded up on fringe QBs and because they are impatient or dont want to keep 4 QBs on their roster they have released Petty. Petty who we liked just last year in the draft is available. We have an extra spot, lets grab him.

gone forever.

he's not getting on the practice squad here I'm telling ya. I dont even think the Jets will try. Petty or Hackenberg will get "injured" by the end of preseason and have to spend the season on the IR. If one of them impresses its possible they sign Fitzpatrick and release Smith but I think that's unlikely. Its also possible if there are no phantom injuries that they DO keep 4 QBs.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

gotta say, i largely agree with Jetswire projections.

I'd take Petty over Geno Smith, and another safety (Bailey, Middleton, Martin) over Bohanon.
    Maybe another LB (Reilly, Martin, Jones) over Morris, depending on who is offering most on specials.
    overall, it looks pretty accurate to me though.

In terms of the 7 WR's, i don't have much issue as i believe Devin Smith will start out on the PUP, which will actually free up another spot short term.
    That could be used to keep 4 QB's initially.

10. BrowningNagle

good point on Devin Smith on the PUP. also if Sheldon gets gets suspended by the league for his shenanigans that would open up another spot temporarily for a 4th QB. By week 4 who knows, maybe it will be clear what the options are at the QB position.
    I also like the idea of keeping another safety

BacktoQueens and egelband like this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

I honestly don't think Bohannon does anything good or average for that fact. Enunwa's a pretty strong guy even though he weighs probably about 15 pounds less then Bohannon. When Bohannon is on the field, you know he's doing 1 thing and 1 thing only. With Enunwa, you add an element of surprise. I think the guy could probably do a better overall job at blocking then Bohannon, but as you mentioned I would much rather find that Rob Turner like 6th lineman off the bench like we did in 2010.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The problem is Bohanon is a shit blocker and might be good for 10 catches for 5 yards a clip all season long. We need to decide if we're going to use a fullback for blocking purposes we need to go and get another one.

13. NCJetsfan

We see this very differently, and will probably never agree, but I understand your thinking, and it does make sense. That said, imo any GM who lumps Mac, Gailey and Bowles in with previous Jets' GMs, OCs and HCs is a moron and deserves to be fired.

Petty might not make our PS, but I think you're totally wrong about Petty or Hack winding up on IR. If that were to happen, it would be a totally wasted year for them, because they couldn't practice with the team. That would be pointless. Might as well just let him sign elsewhere.

I see no way that they release Smith either. He's the only one of the 3 current Jets QBs with any starting/playing experience, and with the improvement he has supposedly shown so far, there's no way the Jets would release him and have no QB ready to play if something should happen to Fitz.

I think they would keep 4 QBs before they would release either Petty or Smith, unless Petty really continues to struggle and looks lost in TC and preseason.

#113 NCJetsfan, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    egelband and LIJetsFan like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

If Richardson isn't suspended, I think he'd make an excellent FB. I think Erin Henderson probably would as well. In addition, if they keep Jarvis Harrison or Dakota Dozier on the roster, or even Ben Ijalana, why not let them function as the FB?

egelband likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

That's a real good way to get your star defensive lineman or backup offensive lineman hurt. Not to mention it leaves no flexibility if you want to use a fullback anywhere on the field but on the goal line. Oh the backup offensive lineman is in, they're running it and if they don't we don't even need to cover him because of how slow he is.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Seriously? You're showing your ignorance. Teams have been doing that since the Bears used Refrigerator Perry and doing it effectively. The Jets used Rob Turner in that role very effectively, and I think another lineman. I think Richardson may have even done that a few times his rookie season. As far as I know, none of those players have gotten hurt blocking. IMO Richardson or another DL or LB would be less likely to be hurt blocking someone else than getting blocked themselves where lineman or backs chop block them. Why should an OL be a big risk to get injured blocking? One can't coach scared. With roster limitations, coaches have to get creative and have flexible players.

You also talk as if the Jets would have to be limited and predictable, and couldn't use misdirection and run to the opposite side from where the "FB" was blocking, or even fake the run and throw the ball. With Gailey's creativity, he could certainly find ways to make it work and keep opposing teams off balance. They also can use Enunwa and maybe Sudfeld or Amaro and mix things up to keep opposing teams off balance. He probably won't make the team, but Howsare has been working at both FB and LB. Taiwan Jones is supposedly a big hitter. I doubt he's much slower (if any) than Bohannon, and if he makes the team as a backup, he could wind up being a devastating blocker.

Besides, it's not like Bohannon is fast, a great receiver or runner. He sucks and is a wasted roster spot. The Jets don't need a roster spot for a FB.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I stopped reading past the part where you called me ignorant, coming from the guy who admittedly only watches a couple games (if that) a year. Carry on.

Jets69 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

[​IMG]
    (to the ignore list you go)

NYJetsO12 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Lol, it's amazing what an expert this dude is and he doesn't even watch football.

Hahahaaaa.

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Who cares if you stopped reading or didn't read it at all? Not me. If you had kept reading, you might have learned something.

I'm only able to watch what is shown in my area. If every Jets game was televised, I'd watch every game. Just because I don't see some games doesn't mean I'm unaware or ignorant of what the Jets and other teams do. I realize that you're just being your jerky self however. That much was apparent in your first post. 101gangreen said the same thing, and you said nothing to him. You were a jerk long before I started posting here, and will be that way probably the rest of your life. Carry on.