Jets Released Brett Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Apr 28, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Baltimore-Miami game made it for me, I think. I got to watch him crack under pressure against an elite defense for a division rival instead of the Jets. Yes, Chad and the Phins beat the Jets, but the Jets helped that along by skidding and mismanaging almost everything after the Titans game.

I knock the Jets CS/FO for not more realistically addressing the QB situation to the point where it took trading for Brett Favre to cause a release of Chad. They needed to move on sooner than that anyway.

I hope Chad pulls that slow fade/awesome training camp crap in Miami for a few years, but I doubt Parcells and Sparano allow it to happen there.

2. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Totally. Pennington is like clockwork at this point. He's consistently mediocre.
    Remember Glass joe?

It was great to see Favre in a Jet uniform, but it was sketchy because he was so old. It smelled of desperation. Then the CS and the D forcing him to throw it every down, sure as shit didn't help.

I hope Sanchez is the real deal, because watching KC for an entire season is going to be nothing short of brutal.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I could see him playing for the Vikes (which is what he wanted all along), but to retire a Packer makes sense.

5. takrew

takrew New Member

Retire as a Packer and take a job in their front office.... smile and sign autographs for the rest of your life.....

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Hopefully he'll be facing something similar this year. Twice.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think most people understand what I mean by sabotage, he ruined our season.

Obviously many prefer losing to winning, you werne't happy when Herm and Chad were here and we were winning so why would I think otherwise?

BP has been great at running teams(see NYJ 2000), Miami got better w/o Chad but they didn't get 11 win better. They would have won about 6-7 games had we not gift wrapped Chad for them.

He had Ted Ginn and devon Bess to throw to, his supposed great RBs ran 16 times for 36 yds(2.25 YPC). He didn't play well but it's hard to when you have absolutely no help.

Coaches will always try to be positive about their talent. KC started a 1st year starter at QB, rookie FB, a 2nd year WR was their best WR, a rookie TE, a rookie LT, 2nd year DE, 2nd year DT, rookie DT, 2 rookie corners. They started 6 rookies on O and D, 4 2nd year players and 5 3rd year playersa nd that team was in just about every game.

The man played in a creampuff div and conf the 2nd half of his career and never won anything, he choked away the NFC Title game 2 years ago, the man threw 6 INTs in a playoff game once. Who cares about meaningless records? He doesn't belong anywhere near the discussion for best of all time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Don't forget the Philly playoff game he also threw away with an OT INT. Maybe the worst decision and pass I've ever seen, given the circumstances.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

I'm sure he was responsible for the packers giving up 4th and 26th too ... The game shoulda never been in OT.

Favre = Superbowl Champion, 3 Time League MVP
    Pennington = Playoff Appearances, 2nd place in MVP voting once (received a whopping 4 votes)

10. nyjunc

Favre was once great back in the 90s but all I know is last year w/ the a div title on the line Chad came in and beat Brett AGAIN to win a div title. Not quite as humiliating as the whooping he nad his team put on Brett's team in 2002 but humiliating none the less.

11. Italian Seafood

Bottom line, anyone who knocks Pennington for "choking" or "melting down" in the playoffs has no business defending Favre in any way. It just makes you look foolish.

When Green Bay won the Super Bowl they had Mike Holmgren as coach and a defense led by Reggie White. They also beat an expansion team, Carolina, at home to reach the Super Bowl and a team, New England, whose coach had one foot out the door and everyone knew it. A lot of QBs could have won with that team.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't know, I can imagine Clemens getting the 'Brees Effect'. I'm not writing him off completely, he will be fighting for his NFL life this season, has been in the offense for a number of years, I don't think he's going to just fade away.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

and once again chad got fucked in the face in the playoffs. he's a choker.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I hope so. That way when he leaves we should be able to get something for him.

15. Italian Seafood

I do. I could easily see that happening.

16. nyjunc

Chad had one bad playoff game for us and that was his forst road playoff game where, much like w/ Miami, he had no help from his teammates. Coles had dropped a TD, Chrebet dropped a big ball, Coles had a huge penalty. Chad wasn't good but neother were his teammates much like w/ Miami where he had Ted Ginn and devon Bess to throw to, his supposed great RBs ran 16 times for 36 yds(2.25 YPC).

17. nyjunc

Holmgren reached a SB w/o Favre, did Favre ever reach one w/o Holmgren?:smile:

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Oh I was plenty happy when they won, I just didn't put posters on my wall when they did, because the reality of it was always there: These guys will never bring us a championship.

You mean to tell me that Herm needed to rebuild the entire team at once? That was all he could muster with a team he started to rebuild in his own vision? Sorry man, it just doesn't jive.

Its funny because even though you mention all of Favre's failures, he's still 10x the QB Chad will ever be, but you defend Chad like he was your brother, and Favre you brush aside like he's the afterbirth of a large mammal.

If you want to worship mediocrity, that's fine, but don't expect people to agree with you and then proceed to accuse them of wanting their favorite team to lose. Taking the road less travelled doesn't make you the master of the expedition.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Please. Favre has been to 2 superbowls and 4 NFC championships.

Pennington had a golden opportunity to take the Jets to an AFC championship once with one of the best D's, Special teams units and running games in the league. He choked like he always does in the playoffs.

0 superbowls, 0 afc championships.

what has he won, 2 playoff games?

20. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

1 bad playoff game? Yes blame everyone but Chad for him being exploited by the Raiders. He was not he only player to blame, but he surely offerred up his fair share of failure.