Jets' Really Blew 3rd round Of Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, May 19, 2006.

1. ekaarons

ekaarons Member

what makes you think that gilles and watson would have been the right choices for the jets.both players were question marks and dropped down dramaticly in the draft.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

But you do not know this. You do not know where the other 31 teams had these guys rated. Someone else could have had them rated high as well. There have been many many cases of teams taking players ahead of where the "experts" had them rated. At the end of the day the important thing is how the players do on the field and if they contributed to the team winning games and eventually the SB. To say the best thing would be these players to flop is assinine. The point is to win games, not get good draft grades based on some idiots on a message board or some guy working for ESPN. Grading out well in the draft and getting good so-called "value" is meaningless unless you win. I could care less if the FO reached for players as long as it produces wins. Whether a draft was good or not is determined by the production of the players on the field, not whether or not a team got good value based on Kipers or whoever else's draft grades .

3. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I'll let the COACH decide that, but thanks anyway.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Your argument is logical until you spew about Watson and Giles that's where you lose me. Why would you pick Giles or Watson at pick 76 when they went at 99 and 107 respectively? It sounds like you're really pissed because you had the board rated differently than the Jets did? Apparently the Jets got it right by not using pick 76 on Giles or Watson because no one else used a pick even in the mid 90's on either guy. Your whole argument is based on an assumption that the two guys we picked would have been passed over exactly like the two guys you picked were.

Now I respect the fact that you question the team’s judgment, why wouldn’t you? However when you're playing a hand of poker with 32 other players who are presumable the best in the world at what they do, you can’t afford to bet based on what amateur prognosticators believe is going to happen. In a 32 team hand of poker you can’t just assume that the other 31 teams have their board rated differently than you do. Your beef isn’t really with the value of the picks because in truth your just guessing these guys would have gone later based on bits and pieces you have read.

Now from a pure value argument like Buttle makes if the Jets in fact reached and could have gotten either of these players earlier than from a value drafting view point they probably over paid. However since none of us really know where these guys were going the value or lack of it is pure speculation. I prefer to judge the draft on the results in the field rather than the speculation before crucifying the GM and Coach for overpaying for the groceries.

#64 winstonbiggs, May 20, 2006
    Last edited: May 20, 2006
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

What I still don't get is that there are people saying Schlegel and Smith would have been there at 5th or 6th.

a la fenwyr, let me state this too:

According to WHOSE GRADE? Nobody knows how the draft board of the 31 other teams look like - and it is just impossible to say such and such would have lasted till round x or whatnot. I still do not understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp. YOU GUYS KNOW CLOSE TO NOTHING, SO GET OVER IT.

6. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

lets wait unrtil their careers are over to see if or who is correct. SCHLEGEL et al just might have been the better picks for our team! TIME ALONE WILL TELL!

7. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

I agree 100% ...... however, I was a Darksider with Herm driving the bus.
    I'll give this FO the benefit of the doubt until I see ineptitude.
    I'll also allow for some growing pains.
    Let's judge them in two years of drafting, free agency and coaching.
    I have hope. I WANT hope anyway :beer:

8. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Are you kidding ?:breakdance: Jets' have no probowlers at guard position. You over estimate the Jets' players.

9. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Watson & Gilles play positions that the Jets' are weak at (NT & OG). I just feel that Jets' would have been better served by addressing those positions in the 3rd round & these 2 players were the best 2 players left at there positions at this time in the draft.....To keep it simple.

If you can understand dominance....Jets' need strength at these positions. If you can't understand it..... & see it....then :breakdance: , what can I say ?

10. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Considering this was mangini's first draft, you can't ask for perfection, being perfect is having been practiced several times.

This draft was a sgood as you can get for a rookie HC first draft. He will learn and have much better drafts.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Jets are clearly weak at both Guard and NT but they are also weak at LB and Strong safety. They may feel that they have enough to patch at NT and Guard this year but not at SS and LB? They liked the LB and SS they drafted better than Giles and Watson. They also picked up a potential NT and guard in FA and in the draft.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This whole thread is about you being in love with two players and the Jets not drafting them, isn't it?

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

what I find mind boggling about this thread is the two guys that you use as an example of blolwing the third round.. Leading up to the draft everyone spoke about Mangini type of players and what that meant.. From everything I know to be a Mangini player, these two guys you mention, Gilles and Watson, are the complete opposite..

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

But that need is not bigger than guard.We have more depth at S and lb, than NT and G.Robertson is the only player on the roster that can start at the position and he might not be suitable for that position.Guard is necessary because Kendell is getting older and Brandon Moore isnt a sure thing.

15. njjet

njjet Member

We had a very good draft. Stop second guessing the organization. Just be happy. The thing that we must look at is the off season strength and conditioning program. It deteriorated under Herm. It seems that Eric has put some teeth back in the program.:jets:

16. Kellen6Clemens

Watch Eric Smith become a great player, and Schegel turn into a very solid player. Then everyone will be saying "How did everyone pass on these guys in the first 2 rounds?"

You can't say they blew it, because we haven't seen either of them play a single down in the NFL. If neither of these guys are able to do a thing in the NFL during the next few seasons, then you can say this; but for now, no one knows.

Sure, some of the "experts" say they were reaches, but what do they know? They had Tom Brady going in the mid to late rounds... and look at him now.

You can't judge the players yet.. make this thread in two years if neither Eric Smith or Anthony Schlegel do anything, but wait till then (if it happens)

17. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Those experts get paid for a reason, yes sometimes they get it wrong and players slip but most of the time they are right.

18. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

okay, all the haters seem to be saying that schlegel and smith would have been around in the 5th or 6th rounds. that 31 other teams would have passed on them in the 4th and possibly the 5th.

read some reports up here in boston. a story in the boston globe and pats website seem to suggest that the pats could have taken schlegel (early 4, possibly moved up to 3rd) had the jets not taken him. he's not only a jets type player, he's a pats type player too. given this and if he does become a good player, i don't think you can argue that we didn't use our picks wisely. tangini had a good reason to pick him in the third, i'm guessing that was why.

the smith pick was compensatory. you can't trade those. it's almost a 4th round pick, so i don't think going 32 picks higher than a 5th round pick is that much of a reach.

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Until we actually see what Jets-type players under this regime look like, I think you have to word that the other way around.

20. Bear66

Bear66 New Member

Schlegal got an opportunity to play at a consistant top 10 college program and you question his team character. Ohio State is a team first program. He was the guy knocking heads around so AJ Hawk could make so noise. The real reason behind taking him so high was that Bryan Cox wanted him that badly. Few guys played as hard and tough as Cox, maybe Teddy Bruschi, also another guy that was coached by Mangini. He's got a plan

I'm not sold on Smith, but if Schlegal turns out to be the real deal, then the 3rd round (like the 1 & 2 rounds) will prove to be a cornerstone for the franchise. Right now, talk is cheap as well is conjecture. That's see where these guys are playing 3 years from now.

The Belichek/Piolli Model which TanGini based their draft on has proven to be a solid one since they took over in New England . Imagine...for just a second...if Bill stayed on to be the HC of the NYJ. I figure...you can't erase the past, just learn from it. Finally we have a Front Office that is lockstep with the Coaching Staff. One goal and a roadmap set in place to get there.