Jets' Really Blew 3rd round Of Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, May 19, 2006.

1. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Oh enough of the Gabe Watson nonsense. I am a fan of his college team and how he's bragged about on this site, is an absolute joke. He played a very medicore brand of football for an underachieving defense. The fact that he keeps being named as some missed pick is a joke.

2. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Agreed...:beer:

That extra 2nd rounder {Redskins} was a great move.:martin:

3. Arizona Jet Fan

Arizona Jet Fan New Member

Let the draft grades be given after games our played..............

4. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Honestly...If you watch the Ohio State Bowl game, you'll see Schlegel was all over the field making tackles. He is clearly a good player. A real nice 4th round pick. But Guard & DT are bigger needs & 2 highly rated players were still available in 3rd round. Thats all...:breakdance:

5. parafly

parafly New Member

Why am I thin skinned? No none is suggesting that the Jets FO should be trusted no matter what. All I'm saying is give them a chance, and reserve your judgement until at least a few games have been played. The Jets prior draft history should play no part in judging the job done this season. New management changes everything.

Obviously, Tangini thinks Schlegel is more than just a special teams player and backup. They believe he can be a legitimate starter in the NFL. Let's see his level of play on the field before labeling him a backup...

"We picked up smart tough guys" is not a pablum. It is a fact that the players we selected had the highest average wonderlic compared to every other team.

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

The rest of your post may of been good, but I couldn't read past this. The only 'draft boards' you saw were those of guys that were NOT in the interviews, did NOT spend time with their former coaches, that base their opinions based almost totally on statistics, and that are draft pundits and beat writers rather than NFL coaches and general managers. Beyond the first round, and I'd argue beyong the top 20 picks, theirs opinions mean next to NOTHING.

People bitched that we didn't trade down for Vilma, remember that? If Schlegel turns out to be great, will people still be bitching that we didn't get enough value with our 3rd round pick in 2006? No.

7. Fleming

Fleming New Member

Do we have a feature back capable of taking over for Curtis? I don't think Houston is the answer. Norwood is a big fast back who did well in the SEC and is starting caliber.

Gabe Watson played very well in the Senior Bowl and given the right coaching could prove to be a very good player.

Just don't see that kind of upside or ability in the two smart tough guys we drafted at the end of Day 1.

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Again, higher rated players by who? Message board draftniks, beat writers, and wanna be GM's pimping their hair on ESPN because they couldn't get the job they really wanted.

None of us have any freaking clue how the GM's, coaches, and scouts in the NFL had these guys rated.

While I wanted to address DT before the 7th round as well, OG was not a need for us at any point in this draft. We signed guys for depth, and have Moore and Kendall as starters. Did you really want to start 3 rookies on the OL?

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

none of them have played in an NFL game or even gone through training camp, you can't say they are bad picks now.

10. rajensen088

rajensen088 Banned

Schlegal was a team captain at Air Force and quit the team, wheres the team oriented character in that move? The 'we picked tough smart guys" mantra is just as short sighted as Bradway's falling in love with 'athletes'. The best barometer of success in the NFL has always been performance in games at the collegiate level. Not using actual game performance as the most important factor in evaluating draft picks means you are getting players who 'project' to be better NFL players than college players.

11. parafly

parafly New Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. All of this value crap is just that...CRAP. I will laugh when Schlegel turns into a solid starter in the NFL making plays all over the field. You people make it seem like we took him with our #29 pick...If Tangini thinks he will be a solid NFL starter, then how is the third round a "reach"??

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Fleming.

RB's can and do start and suceed as rookies. I don't want Curtis' replacement to be some high upside mid rounder. I want us to do what it takes to get Peterson next year, and start him from day 1.

Are you actually Gabe Fatson. What is it with you and this guy. 31 coaches and gm's felt the same way about as we did. As the know it alls were slating him and Gilles for the first round, actual football people were giggling and rolling their collective eyes at us. They simply knew something that we, Mr. Kiper, and everyone else, didn't.

13. Fleming

Fleming New Member

I think you're wrong. Buttle's point is very valid that these two were picked much higher than their grades would indicate.

Blesto and the other scouting services are consulted by the draft services when assigned grades to a first or seventh round prospect.

There are discrepancies and differences but Kiper and other don't just pull rankings out of their tails, there is a consensus that develops on most draftees especially late in the draft season. There are wider ranges for the mid round prospects but the 3rd round was probably at least 2 rounds too high for both players we took.

14. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Are you actually drunk and high when you post? Quit the team?!? He moved to a bigger school to play for a higher quality program. Any athlete with dreams to play professional ball would have to be mentally depraved not to do the same thing. Difference between Air Force and a real school? UDFA.

15. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Since you are having trouble reading the screen, I'll try caps...

WHO'S GRADES?!? Your's? Mine? Kiper's? Our grades mean NOTHING! It's not a valid point because we know maybe, if we're lucky, 25% as much as NFL coaches and gm's about these kids.

16. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Max Jean Gilles was asked to lose weight by the Eagle front office and his response was......."Why???" That response would not go over well with Tanngini...........

17. parafly

parafly New Member

What is your proof for that? Because Kiper said so?

How do you know that there weren't other teams eying these players up in the 4th round?

18. Tight

Tight Active Member

Dont worry ill be sure to send mangini an email stating that this guy named Fleming on the message board can get them a superbowl in 1 year. Look out for that call.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Dedric Ward, Kevin Williams, Scott Frost, David Loverne, Lavernous Coles, Kareem McKenzie, Chris Baker, BJ Askew, Derrick Strait, Sione Pouha.

Those are the last 10 players the Jets picked in the 3rd round before the new regime. That includes Parcells, Groh and Bradway. There are two quality starters in the bunch and both of them left in FA and we got the other back by trading a former No. 1. Value is based on production not your guess on what other people would likely do. Likely will get you fired.

I don't expect sh*t from our draft, I suspect we made a few errors like every other team. There were guys last year projected to go in the first and second round who weren't drafted. A draft is much like betting on a horse race, the smart money comes in late.

20. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No, he transferred. Transferring schools does not equate into quiting a team. You make being wrong an artform.