Jets reach out to Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Ellis was NOT terrible last year. Absolutely terrible statement.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Agree with this.. he can't handle the full load and be a stud anymore.. but he'd be a great veteran to have as part of the rotation to help the rookies and also provide some help on the field.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If you think Shaun Ellis is even below average, you clearly can't analyze the game.

4. mr.bogal

mr.bogal Member

I dont understand how Shaun Ellis and terrible can be put in the same sentence. I pretty sure there is not a person that understands football that would say Ellis is terrible. He is probably one of the most well rounded DE's to play the game in quite some time. If he wants to come back and can contribute something to the team, by all means the FO should make that happen. If they can find a reason to pay Mike Devito over 2mil this year there is no reason they cant do the same for Ellis.

5. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Shaun Ellis is not terrible. lol

6. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

First of all, I didn't insult you. I stated that "this is an ignorant post." That's not an insult, it's a fact.

You're suggesting Shaun Ellis was below average for a majority of the games last year. I know why you think this. It's because you don't realize that the reason he had " by far his least productive year" (it wasn't, but I'll let that slide) is because he was double-teamed on just about every snap of the ball.

Why is it everybody defends their bad opinions on this site with "I watch and re-watch games" or "I study film" or something to that effect? It's as if I'm supposed to be impressed by the fact you watched it multiple times and still got it wrong.

I watched most of the games just once. Shaun Ellis is a beast.

#46 JCotchrocket, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. mr.bogal

mr.bogal Member

I see someone does comedy on the weekends. lol You knew what I meant.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Shaun Ellis was terrible because Jets didn't win SB.

/thread

(Human stupidity knows no bounds, after all.)

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It's not a fact... it's an opinion. YOUR opinion... Pointing it out because in every message board everyone thinks their opinion is a fact, which isn't the case.

That said my OPINION on Ellis is he is too old to play every snap at the best of his abilities. He should do what Pryce did last year, come on the field in critical downs and provide some pressure on the opposing QB. As a situational pass rusher he can be very very helpful... let Wilkerson do the dirty work in the early downs.

However if he still thinks he's a starter (in terms of snaps he should play) than we should bring back Pryce at a small contract... he can still help us out for one more year.

#49 Mambo9, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Yeah lol just bustin balls

11. JCotchrocket

Don't lecture me. Fact: "Signing Shaun Ellis is like scraping the bowl" is an ignorant statement. I labeled it as such. It's ignorant because anybody with football knowledge who watched the man play last season AND ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A 3-4 END recognized 92's value to this team.

This is an opinion, and it's not an ignorant one. Shaun Ellis is too old to play every snap to the best of his abilities, which is exactly what the Jets asked of him last year. That's why we're seeing a lot of poorly-informed posts about how much "Shaun Ellis sucks."

Shaun Ellis "sucked" last year (ugh...), because it the first time in three seasons he didn't have Kris Jenkins next to him. KJ drew two to three blockers on every snap, making it virtually impossible for teams to double team Ellis. When KJ went down and Ellis became the best player on the defensive line, opposing offenses started doubling Ellis...

...and he STILL kicked some ass.

12. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Someone asked Cimini about Ellis:

@RichCimini Rich Cimini
    @austin_granata he'll be back. Can't practice until Thursday, so my guess is he signs Wednesday night.

13. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

My favorite Jet. Bring him back!

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You need to read and re-read some of the posts you criticize with such zeal. In the NFL, signing and not signing a player never comes down to absolutes. You can't throw money at every player with a salary cap. This is not baseball. That is particularly true this year when the salary cap went down from its previous level and there are so many moving parts and so many positions to fill in a short time.

I never said Ellis was terrible and I never said it "was scraping the bowl" to re sign him. What I said and stand by is that when the Jets are strapped by the cap to fill the remaining holes (and asking every veteran to restructure to find money), you don't overpay an aging DE by giving him $3 million a year on a multi-year deal. I'm all for bringing him back at a reasonable price. At this stage of his career, Ellis is no "beast." It's not even close. He is JAG. And Pouha was drawing doubles in Jenkin's absence and plugging the run as much as anybody. And Devito had a better year IMO.

Ellis had good years in 03 and 04 and 08. He was given a contract after 2004 that paid him like an elite DE but he was never elite after that season. He has been paid his money by the Jets. Bring him back at $1 million and make him part of the rotation. But to pay him $3 million plus and give him a multi-year deal is irresponsible under the circumstances. I don't see other teams running to sign this "beast." He knows the system. Let him wait a few more days and bring him in at the right salary and let's not reward past performance.

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Shaun Ellis would be a great addition to our DE rotation. I absolutely want him back on this team, and not just because he's one of my favorite Jets ever. He can and will still contribute, this time in a lesser role.

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

I agree that Ellis' decline has been greatly overexaggerated on this board. He's still a solid starter--not great but he'll get the job done, and be a great mentor to Wilkerson.

17. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

I'd honestly say, we need him back! Get'r'done Tanny.

18. JCotchrocket

You're right, I misquoted you. I apologize.

You should have quit while I had egg on my face. If you want to argue about Shaun Ellis' contribution in 2010, we can. If you want to suggest that (let me get this right) "he was never elite after [2004]," you're embarrassing yourself far worse than I ever could.

There isn't a lot of demand for 3-4 ends this year, due in no small part to the fact that quite a few 3-4 ends went high in the 2011 draft. Cullen Jenkins is now going to have to play in a 4-3, and he had to wait around for quite a while to get the Philly phone call.

I maintain that your Ellis criticism is ignorant if you think Shaun Ellis is "JAG." I promise not to misquote you anymore if you promise to study up on the 3-4 defense.

19. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Mambo's ignorance of his own ignorance is amusing.

20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

This thread got very interesting:

[​IMG]

JT- I couldn't say it any better.