Jets Playoff Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jay Bizniss, Oct 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlightBoys

FlightBoys Member

It may be too early to be discussing this, but I really think we should be embracing the fact that we are in the playoff hunt after seven weeks, considering the majority of this board wrote the jets off before the season even started.
    The thing I don't want is for the Jets to let up the next two games after supposedly winning their super bowl yesterday ( heard a lot of older fans saying this was our SB yesterday at Metlife ), I want the Pats win instead to show that we can ball with any team in the NFL.

2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

haha, ya you look like an optimist...

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You kidding me?!?!?!?!

4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Never too early to discuss this, love the idea. Everybody should know who we should be rooting for each week (OBV the Jets +). The Bills win was huge, and I wish Detroit could have pulled it out againt Cincy (although I think they win the Central).

If the Jets go 1-1 before the bye and beat cincy in that game we are in decent shape for the back end. This week is a big game as our conference record blows.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

3 very important games. @Cincy, Ravens, Saints

If we win 2 out of 3 we might make the playoffs. We lose all 3, we are out.

Also never too early to discuss playoffs. It is not the board members playing the games. Fans are allowed to discuss and speculate the way they like. What are the message boards are for anyway. We aren't here to discuss the secrets of life etc.It is freaking football and if we aren't going to discuss scenarios what the hell are we doing here?

6. Matt4776

Matt4776 Active Member

You are what your record says you are. They are a 2-4 team. Buffalo is 3-4. Tampa is 0-6. The only team with a winning record we beat is NE, and don't get me wrong- we controlled the game, but it still was filled with controversy and a lucky penalty.

I want to see one CONVINCING (when there's 8 minutes left in the 4th, I want no doubt barring miracle that we lose the game) win. I'd rather that be against a good team (Cincy this week would be perfect), but I'll take it against anyone at this point.

7. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

It's Geno's play that put us in this position. Last year, same team, we weren't having this discussion. Remember where we came from. If it were Luck doing what Geno's doing it would be national news.

8. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I don't think the Saints game is really that important in the grand scheme of things.. Those two Dolphin games in December are going to be important though.. I think that Week 17 matchup against the Dolphins will be for the last Wild Card spot.. Dolphins will be hoping to spoil that one for us.. I could see that game flexing to Sunday Night.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I think we will split with Miami and lose to the Bills on the road. That's why it is important to win home games against Saints and Ravens. Protect the home field and we should be good.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We are a mediocre team. But it turns out the AFC is chock full of mediocre teams this season so maybe we have a chance?

However we are not consistent. Its getting hard to know which team is going to show up on Sunday. The team that beat the Pats and Falcons or the team that lost by two scores at home to an 0-4 team.

Most seasons I’d say the team that lost at home by two scores to an 0-4 team should not be talking about the playoffs. But with teams failing all over the AFC we have as good a shot as many.

If we can win one of our next two games I'd say we have a decent opportunity to lose in the first round of the playoffs to one of the few actually good teams.

11. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

way to rationalize, SOJF

12. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Whats making me nervous about the Jets playoff chances is the AFC West ,You figure Denver Or KC will win the division leaving the other to take a wild card spot.And in the AFC there will be so many teams hanging around by week 16 .We may need to win 11 games to get in

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So somebody is going to get hot and win about 5 in a row at some point. The odds are pretty good that team will be the favorite for the 6 seed.

The way it looks right now overall is:

1 Seed is KC or Denver with the other the likely 5 Seed.
    2 Seed is Indianapolis or Cincinnati with the other the likely 3 Seed.
    4 Seed is New England or the AFC East winner if New England falters down the stretch, not holding my breath on that one.
    6 Seed is wide open at this point.

I see about 8 teams that still could win it with a lot of luck with Baltimore, San Diego, Jets and Miami still in position to get it done with some luck.

Obviously Buffalo and Cleveland are deep longshots because of the QB injuries. Pittsburgh and Tennessee are long shots because so far things just haven't gone their way this year.

Any of the 8 teams that manages to string together 5 wins in a row moving forward is going to be the favorite to get the spot.

#53 Br4d, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

San Diego still has to play KC x2 and Denver x2, Cincinnati and @Wash.

Baltimore still has to play Cinci x2, @Det, NYJ, Pats, and @Chicago (Could be Cutler's first game back [just looked at their schedule and that game is in 4 weeks]).

And last but not least, if we beat Miami we should edge them out. Playoffs are NOT out of the question if we can take care of business and keep improving.

15. socaljetfan

socaljetfan Active Member

Jets make playoffs whenever rex ryan splits with patriots. We will be seed six. Lets go!

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i think the Ravens, Miami x2, and the Bills games are the most important left on the schedule.
    winning those 4 would give us a good shot at division and/or wildcard (as well as being damn enjoyable wins!)

beating Cincy would propel us up to serious contenders right now, but is not quite as important as the other games imo (as Cincy will take the North).

17. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

We build on beating the pats this week by beating the bengals,we can win the division never mind wild card,but its us who knows wtf to expect ,really can't understand how a team can be so poor and then put
    Up a great performance against the pats ,just dont make sense its week to week ,but we CAN win this division.

18. Mitch_Dumstein

One snap at a time.

Four efficient quarters against the Bungles, fly home with a W, then think about facing Brees and a Ryan defense

Shock the World!

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

19. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

It's crazy to think this team should be that team in Week 14. Too much can change, a lot of teams playing head to head that affects tiebreakers, some big players are going to get injured, etc. I'm just rooting for the Jets for another few weeks. Maybe in 2-3 weeks, we'll have a good idea who is really in contention.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Playoffs are definitely not out of the question.

The Jets are 3-5 against the Fins in the Rex Ryan era, an era in which they have generally had better teams than the fish.

I just look at all the variables in play and I see maybe a 20-25% chance the Jets make the playoffs this year. That's not bad for a rebuilding year but it's no cakewalk to the prize either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.