Jets Playoff Chances

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Nov 23, 2011.

?

Do the Jets Make the Playoffs?

1. Yes

199 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

215 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. cobrien

cobrien Member

Thanks I just wanted to be sure, sort of a pinch check! Hopefully they'll run the board and we get in, thanks again :)

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Right on. Ergo the odds of the Jets getting in have gone up considerably. If the odds of the Jets running the table and getting in where 10-1, because they had only a fifty fifty chance of making it ahead of the other teams, then the odds have just decreased by half because if we run the table the chances are 100% we are in. So the odds are now 5-1 or half of what they were.

3. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

Yeah and add Leonhard out...

That was my point but, some people find comfort in the literal on paper odds regardless of opponents or players.

Mathematically for that point, the jets could be missing the entire OL, Revis and Holmes and someone could come here talking about the calculations and how great they are...

Like I said, beating Philly and the Giants back to back is a HUGE task.

Hopefully Miami is ready to roll over.

Call me a darksider but, my stomach is and will be uneasy regardless of the calculations and hasn't changed - the only thing that changed is the fact that I didn't have to completley hurl from losing to a team like KC.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

You act like Philly and the Giants(5-8 & 7-6) are GB and NO. Philly won for only the 2nd time in 6 weeks and the Giants won for the first time in 5 weeks. Will they be easy games? no but we are not facing great teams these next 2 weeks. We should be able to beat both of them. We may not and I still think we'll make it as long as we go 10-6 w/ one of the losses vs. Philly or the Giants.

For now let's just get our first ever win vs. Philly.

5. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

The Giants won't need to beat the Jets. They need to win their other two games (Wash,Dallas).

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The bright side is we have gotten to watch three consecutive weeks of wins after those awful losses to NE and Denver. I would also add the important consideration that, putting aside the difficult quality of opponent issue, the Jets have looked progressively better in those three games, and very much so against KC.

I understand your point about looking at the next three games as a whole, but Ryan is right. Take em one at a time. I have a bunch of Giant fans here at work, and I refuse to talk about the Christmas game with them, other than to acknowledge it's out there. Truth is they don't want to talk about it, either. They have to beat DC first.

And the Jets have to beat Philly. That about covers it, really.

7. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

i hope the whole team is completely fixated on the Eagles and the the eagles only.
    having that focus is more important than anything right now, looking ahead at this time of the year is a big no-no.
    This is going to be this years version of last year's Steelers game, we're gonna get those buzzards, i feel it.

8. BookEndTackles 72&79

Hate to break it to you but 10-6 is not getting it done in a tiebreaker scenario with Tennessee. A 10-6 tiebreaker vs. Cincy the Jets win based on strength of victory but even that is not totally assured as it depends on alot of outcomes not worth getting into right now. TEN would own a 10-6 tiebreaker based on common games (BUF, JAX, BAL, DEN). TEN would 4-1 vs. the Jets 3-2.

9. nyjunc

Let's assume Ten wins out and is 10-6 and we win 2 of 3 w/ a loss vs. phi or NYG and are at 10-6.

1. no head to head
    2. conf record(Ten 8-4, NYJ 7-5)

they's win before we get to common opponents but it's a stretch to expect Ten to win their final 3 even though it's a favorable sched. Hou may be playing for a bye and Jax will not be easy.

10. PatsFan2003

PatsFan2003 Member

I think the odds in favor of the Jets just went up with the firing of Sprano. That has got to dishearten the Miami players.

But the Philly game should be tough (depending on which Philly team shows up) and the Giants game should be tough because they are fighting for a playoff spot as well.

Still if the competition for that final playoff spot continues to falter I think the Jets willl get in.

And it might be against the Patriots no less. Not sure I like playing the Jets again if only because it's hard to win against a team 3 times in a season but it is what it is.

Being in Foxboro will help and there won't be a surprise like last year.

11. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

If the Jets get in, I presume the Pats will win out, and the Texans will drop at least one game. I see the seeding being:

1 - BAL
    2 - NEW
    3 - HOU
    4 - DEN
    5 - PITT
    6 - NYJ

Both wildcards win in first round, setting up NYJ @ BAL and PITT @ NEW

Same final 4 as last year only flip flopped.

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

im leaning towards no... and i agree with everything you said. it will come down to scoring points. i think philly/nyg will score 17-21 on us. im not sure we will put up 24+ points 2 weeks in a row, against teams still in the playoff hunt. i also dont like how our D matches up with phillys O:

- we have issues with QBs extending plays, vick and young both capable
    - we have had issues with runs on the edge... tosses/sweeps, philly has alot of that in there offense
    - we have issues with our LB/S covering in space, philly will put us in alot of those situations

not saying we lose 55-0, but it wont be easy, nor will the giants game. nor will miami for that matter - who will be playing for a new coach, with a likely fired up team looking to get a fresh start by ending our playoff hopes. id feel ALOT better if we only needed to win 2 of those

#192 jerseyjay14, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  13. nyjunc

Only the Giants are in the playoff hunt and they have allowed 38 PPG the last 3 weeks.

14. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i believe philly is still alive in the division, no?

your ppg stat i find silly, considering they played greenbay, new orleans, and dallas in those 3 games

15. lamont_jordan_rules

... good post ...

... that will be pretty amazing to have the same final 4 again ...

... what a rollercoaster ride this season has been! ...

l_j_r

16. avrus

avrus New Member

Some stats that I think are relevant.

Jets historically are 0-8 against the Eagles.

Jets are ranked 6th in total defense, but the Eagles are ranked 11th. This team is not a pushover defensively.

Eagles are currently 4th in the league on YPG, Jets are 25th.

In those YPG, Eagles are 3rd in the league on rushing YPG against a Jets defense that is ranked 14th. This is the number that should give you the most pause. Jets defense needs to show up huge, and our offensive unit is facing a fairly strong Eagles pass defense. Fortunately for us the Eagles are ranked 18th in rushing defense so we have the opportunity to effectively move the ball on the ground.

The Giants game is more of a Giants passing versus our pass defense and Jets rushing versus a 22nd ranked Giants rush defense.

TL;DR - Eagles game is about stopping their rush and rushing ourselves.

Giants game is about stopping their pass while rushing.

17. nyjunc

I don't care who they played, that # is ridiculous. They were humiliated in NO and allowed last minute drives to lose the GB game and if not for a blocked FG set up OT at Dallas(and Dallas' O isn't exactly the Packers or Saints).

I guess Philly is technically alive but they'd need to win out, and have the Ginats lose out and Dallas lose to TB and beat the Giants then they could win the div at 8-8. That isn't happening.

Yds per game is nice but how much do they score?

18. CurbYourEnthusiasm

CurbYourEnthusiasm Well-Known Member

I actually checked this morning and was surprised to see the Jets in the top 7 in points per game on offense considering where our rushing and pass totals are in yards per game.

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I dunno..... spider sense is tingling about this game.

hopefully it's because I haven't had lunch yet.

20. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Or after you have had lunch, if you had Mexican