Jets option at QB in 2015

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Dec 19, 2014.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming. Geno has terrible feel for the position. Only disgruntled ignorant fans and haters have ever called Romo a bum.

Big Blocker likes this.
  2. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't agree. Time will tell.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This board is on full-retard today.

James Hasty, FlaJet and 74 like this.
  4. hornblower

Is that a respectful disagreement?

LIJetsFan likes this.
  5. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

I'm very skeptical of college Qb stats (see: Geno Smith), but if scouts who actually watch tape see something in Hundley, he definitely might be someone we should look into.

6. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Hundley is a project but a guy who should be able to play in the NFL and a potential starter. In Geno we have a project but he's two years down the road with about 30 starts. Personally I don't want another project. If you draft him you get rid of Geno. I keep Geno and get a good free agent vet to start. A guy like Matt Hasselbeck who knows how to play the position. Geno's on his last year unless he dramatically improves.

7. 101GangGreen101

Take it as you will.

Anyways, this affirms the notion that a veteran QB should be a key FA acquisition along with filling a G position. Be on the lookout for a QB in the 2016 draft.

8. hornblower

I respectfully disagree. There are few FA QB's of note and Geno Smith is better than all of them. I would rather the Jets win so if it's Geno or someone else so be it.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Hasselbeck is like a 1000 years old. Even he doesn't want to start. Why would he want to come here and get his ass kicked when he can sign somewhere as a backup and mentor to a good young QB and collect his paycheck without getting his head bashed in.

What a waste of time Hasselbeck would be for this organization anyway. Sign him so they can go 6-10 and waste a year for no reason? So he can retire right after?

Not against a vet but you gotta get one that's younger, hungrier and better if you do.

No sense in getting rid of Geno Smith.. He will be here to battle it out with whoever. The thing I like about Hundley is that he played in a pro style system for quite some time and it wasn't all roses for him. Meaning he experienced the rough patches, ups and downs on the field that an NFL QB will experience. He could be a QB in the league.

Hundley also passes the Bill Parcells Criteria for drafting a QB. Multiple years started, at a high level/ top competition, recieved his degree.

#229 BrowningNagle, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  10. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I agree that he probably would rather hold a clipboard in Indy than get his ass kicked here. But he can still play or they wouldn't have signed him because unlike the Jets the Indy org is competent. Hundley is a project and not a slam dunk to be successful in the NFL. But the Parcells rule comment is a great observation.

11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The sense in getting rid of Smith despite his favorable contract situation would arise in the following scenario:

Jets need a hold the fort type experienced vet to be a competitive team until some other Qb comes from from the draft over the next couple of years, depending on availability. So they get that in FA.

Next up, despite the perception of a weak Qb presence in this year's coming draft, a suitable prospect falls to the Jets in the higher rounds, maybe down to 3rd or even 4th. Do the Jets not pull that trigger because they have Smith under contract? Hell no, they pull it and bring that player onto the roster.

At that point, the Jets likely head into camp with the vet Qb, the newly drafted Qb, Smith and Simms.

Says here in an open competition, watch Simms outplay Smith.

Voila, you cut Smith and put that trainwreck behind you.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, i get the argument this is a weak draft for Qb's. But that does not mean a suitable Qb may be available when the Jets pick, at which point they will take him.

13. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Simms get his chance. But when he's played he hasn't been stellar. I don't see it being logical to cut Geno even though for the most part the fans hate him.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I thought Bryce Petty looked pretty good, and as of right now doesnt seem to be a first rounder. If we dont get Mariota/Winston, I dont think Petty would be the worst alternative.

Geno will obviously be back. He finished strong and he's cost controlled. He'd be a fine backup. Sign a Hoyer/Locker/Bradford, and have them compete with Geno and whoever the rookie QB is.

A legitimate competition though. The best player plays. None of this faux competition.

15. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

@nfldraftscout: Here's why Mariota scares NFL folks—1st half vs FSU, 17 attempts thrown within 5 yards or behind LOS.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

I do think the Jets should take a QB at some point. We still have to await to see if Winston declares. Let's hope he does. I don't want Mariota being the only QB that has a first round grade available.

17. BrowningNagle

That is the scenario that could allow for Smith to be cut, yes. But I doubt that occurs. He would beat Simms out and Simms would be the one cut. Likely on the practice squad again.

18. BrowningNagle

that's another reason why he scares me. There were a lot of those same statistics associated with Geno Smith when he came out...just saying..

19. 101GangGreen101

That's been the scheme all yr. Constant screens, then Oregon sets you up to be vulnerable to deep shots. Doesn't work that way in the NFL. Ball placement skills and deep ball accuracy are questionable in Mariota's game.

20. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't draft a Qb this year unless Mariotta falls to them at 6. A vet (not Vick), Geno and Simms in 2015. Only one developmental guy at a time.