Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Maybe but the Jets will have trouble signing big names next year.

The salary cap for 2012 will likely be in the 123-126 range plus a couple million for veteran exemptions and such. I would guess 130 maximum for the cap. At this point the Jets are sitting at 87.7 million towards 2012's cap and that doesn't include the free agent who will have to be signed:

Bryan Thomas (UFA)
    Sione Pouha (UFA)
    Jim Leonhard (UFA)
    LaDainian Tomlinson (UFA)
    Dwight Lowery (UFA)
    Marquice Cole (RFA)
    Ropati Pitoitua (RFA)
    Jamaal Westerman (RFA)

As well as about 10 other guys that the Jets hold the rights to.

2. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

I wonder if Cotchery asked for the trade.

His production fell off big last season, as he was basically relegated to being a #3 WR.

Year Yards TDs
    2004 60 0
    2005 251 0
    2006 961 6
    2007 1130 2
    2008 858 5
    2009 821 3
    2010 433 2

In 2009 the Jets did a lot of running, in 2010, they had Holmes after Game 4. Cotch might be looking at the situation like he knows he's getting cut next season and if plax performs he will not have an opportunity this year to prove what he can do for free agency in 2012-2013. If he stays he basically risks the chance that he goes into free agency with numbers like 400 yards receiving on the year for two years in a row...

Maybe Cotchery wants to go somewhere that he can at least be a #2. He's got the talent for it.

#542 Organized Chaos, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Bryan Thomas (UFA) gone
    Sione Pouha (UFA) keep
    Jim Leonhard (UFA) keep
    LaDainian Tomlinson (UFA) gone
    Dwight Lowery (UFA) keep
    Marquice Cole (RFA) gone
    Ropati Pitoitua (RFA) keep
    Jamaal Westerman (RFA) keep

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I disagree. I know Rex has this "run first" mentality, which I agree with to an extent. Run first, but pass every other down is what I favor. (And yes, I'm being overly dramatic. No I don't expect to be a 70+% passing team.)

I think this offense lives on the arm of Mark Sanchez. It's time for him to join the ranks of the winners like Manning and Brady. You do that in the air.
    -------------

I know a lot of people keep mentioning Kerley, but what about Scott McKnight? Isn't he the kid that was friends with Sanchez? Didn't they have an immediate rapport in the Jets West camp? Perhaps the staff just feels there are too many receivers for one spot at this point, and Cotchery is the most expensive #3 (technically 4, given Keller will likely be viewed as option 3 this year).

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to cut ties with Cotchery. He's a likeable enough guy, but there just isn't enough room for him and we need the cap room.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Instead of a pick, I'd rather do a player for player deal.

6. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

McKnight shouldn't have even been drafted and would have been lucky if he were picked up as a UFA and made a squad. He is Sanchez's friend which helps his chemistry in the team but he lacks the most important thing. Talent.

7. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Hahaha, okay. I know nothing about him. I don't watch college football. I just remember hearing how well he was doing with Sanchez in Mark's camp a few months ago.

Scotty is banging Hayden Panettieire (sp?) though, so he's definitely doing something right.

8. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

The 87.3 also doesn't include Holmes and Cromartie and the rookies.

9. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

McKnight lacks talent? The last time I checked, he broken a bunch of receiving records at Colorado.

I don't have a problem with Mark Sanchez having input with some of our picks. He's the one that has to throw to these guys.

He's got legit speed - runs in the 4.4s.

I've learned to completely disregard your opinions when it comes to college ball.

#549 Mr Electric, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

McKnight could become our white Wes Welker!

11. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It’s not about throwing more, it’s about efficiency. Take a look at these numbers below:

Tom Brady (everyone knows how much I hate Brady but he is an efficient passer of the ball – due to a good system :wink:). These do not count week 17 where he did not play the whole game.

When he throws 30 passes or less – 8 out of 15 games. Patriots are 8-0
    When he throws 31-36 passes – 4 out of 15 games. Patriots are 4-0
    When he throws 37 + passes – 3 out of 15 games. Patriots are 1-2

Mark Sanchez

When he throws 30 passes or less – 7 out of 15 games. Jets are 6-1
    When he throws 31-36 passes – 1 out of 15 games. Jets are 0-1
    When he throws 37 + passes – 7 out of 15 games. Jets are 4-3 (two of the 4 wins came in games against the Browns and Lions when we needed last minute plays to win.)

We need to focus on being more efficient with our throws and focus less on throwing the ball more. The GROUND AND POUND strategy has worked. Combine that with a more efficient passing game and we WILL go farther this year than we have since 1968.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The Steelers did it right with Big Ben.

He didn't go over 30 passes a game until their 3rd or 4th season.

Its the biggest issue I've had with Schotty's coaching of Sanchez.

13. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

14. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I think Cotchery and the Jets both probably think it's time for him to move on. He's been a good player but they will need the 4 million in cap room next year, an extra pick would be great and Cotchery wants playing time so he can get another contract.

I also think it's important that Jets give Kerley and Mcknight(s) a chance to develop in the offense. The good qb's and systems turn any decent WR into very good players. Look at Brady and Manning. Every year Manning turns some WR we've never heard of into a 75 catch, 1000 yard 8 td player. If you keep the QB protected and you have a good system, the skill players will develop.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You always want more efficiency. If the plays you run are efficient, you're probably winning.

I still want to see a 60-40 split, pass over run. Score big, score often. Run the ball late to kill the clock.

16. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

And you know because...?

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

uh and Wes is..... Purple?

:wink:

18. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Player for player wouldn't make much sense. We are trying to save cap space, unless we trade for a bench warmer.

19. ........

........ Trolls

For our #2 spot? I doubt it. They're probably trying to figure out how to retain Leonhard and Pouha.

20. ........

........ Trolls

That's absurd. He lacks ideal athleticism, not talent. He has glue hands and owns several University of Colorado receiving records.

Brought this up in another thread, but if they knew they were overhauling the roster so much at WR, it makes sense that they'd draft someone Sanchez was comfortable with and would constantly work with during the lockout.