Jets open to trading Cotchery (rumor)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pavlus53, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

We don't need to pass more. We need to pass less and be more efficient when we pass. Last year Sanchez averaged 34 pass attempts per game (in 15 games - not counting the week 17 game vs. the Bills). Sanchez needs to average at least 7 yards per attempt in 2011.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

lol, when asked, Tanny gave his form answer.
    'We'll always explore any option to make the team better, but i won't comment on any specific player'.

That's slam dunk obvious to you?

3. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Yep!!!!!

I'd be stunned if he's a Jet on opening day.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

If you know Tanny it is... he also didn't mention Cotch when talking about the passing game and on another occasion he said there would be changes to the WR group and specifically mentioned the possibility of a veteran...

5. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Lol, forgive me, man. I'm new here.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

early in the press conference, when Tanny was addressing how talented the receiving core is, he went out of his way to mention every legitimate receiving threat (including Ladanian Tomlinson) except for Cotch.

Also, his body language was very revealing when he was asked about potential trades and then directly about Cotch.

#526 slimjasi, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. ........

........ Trolls

Kerley wouldn't move to #2, Turner would. That's why if Cotch is gone, you very well may see a backup plan brought in...someone who won't cost 4 million against the cap next season.

Either way, the FO doesn't seem concerned with an increased likelihood of injury...not when they're fully guaranteeing Plax's salary. All of our players have been training in the same exact way as Plax for the last few months, and they're all going to have camp to get ready.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Yeah i am familiar with Tanny, and he keeps everything close to the vest.

Making an argument based on tone or inflection in Tanny's voice during a media interview is just being lazy.

The only arguments that hold water is in regards to his health.
    None of us know this information.
    Additionally the 4mil cap hit next year is a tremendous factor, again if they do not feel he can contribute like he has in past. But again, that comes down to the injuries. If they move him, it will come down to this, and i'd be ok with it.

If just to free up cap for next year, it would not be a wise move. he would be a starter this year health permitting, and he is a key guy in moving the chains.
    The major impact of Plax will be in the red zone (where we need help big time).

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

haha its cool.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

But they also don't expect Plaxico to be in "football shape" until October. Which is perfect timing for the Dolpins, Pats, etc. games.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets in the pre-season. He certainly needs as much of it as he can get.

11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

The underlined portion I agree with.

The bold section not so much.

While I do agree that Plax in his prime was better than Cotch in his prime, I disagree he was miles better. In TD catches yes, but theres a lot to weigh in on this as far as the QB's and system they have both been in. But in production not really, if you look past Cotch's seasons where he was injured.

12. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Poor Cotch'.

13. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

If you don't think Burress was a markedly better WR than Cotch before his prison sentence then you are verifiably insane.

Also, you can't ignore TD catches or injuries. - TD catches are a major indicator of impact at the WR position and being injury prone is a big negative for any player because, whether we like it or not, injuries are an inescapable part of the game.

14. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

While you have valid points about TD catches and injury being a huge factor please take what I'm saying into consideration as well.

My point is if you look at seasons Cotch was healthy for the most part, look at who his QB was, look at the type of system he was in, and understand he's been in a dink and dunk system basicly his whole career. Where we got close to the goal line and run the ball.

Plax on the other hand was the focal point for TD's and receptions his whole career in NY and still a huge part in PIT, and yet their production numbers (if you look at seasons where Cotch is healthy) aren't that different.

With that said, I think it's fair to say the guy can obviously get open or his production wouldn't be so high on a run 1st team. So is it more of a case that the system failed him (Herm & Mangini's) or that he's less capable to catch redzone balls..?

#534 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Please, stop trying to make sense. You've failed multiple times.

Cotchery is not a factor in the redzone. Blaming our running game for his lack of TDs in the redzone is such a weak argument.

16. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Cotch is gone. On Rucco and Lundberg he's like "I like trades" lol.

17. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Dont understand why this is a given...Was there a falling out with Cotch and management?

18. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Cotchery has a $4 million cap number for 2012. The Jets will be up against the cap next year so trading him now is the best bet in order to get some value.

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

You think they are looking at the list of 2012 UFA WR core and salivating at the prospects of signing a Marques Colston or a Dwayne Bowe or Reggie Wayne or Garcon or Larry Fitzgerald or etc?...The epic list goes on

20. Jetfan76

Jetfan76 Well-Known Member

Cotch is as good as gone!