Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get caught up in what a player does in a locker room or outside one. The facts are Jackson never got into trouble off the field with police. And all this locker room stuff our just rumors.

2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Yeah because the Eagles team was so ruined by Jackson's career season last year that all they did was make the playoffs. If Jackson was such a locker room problem than that team should've imploded last year and that was clearly not the case. Once again, you're making an argument that has very little application in the case of Jackson. You act like he's TO or Chad Johnson and he's never been close to the distraction that they were.

3. JetsNation06

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

and how well did the Jets team do when Santonio Holmes had his melt down in 2011?

the issue at hand is the broad statement that all that matters is what happens on the field. that is simply false. specific examples of teams over coming a bad personality don't negate the argument that off-field issues can have a detriment to the team that carries over to the field.

you can choose to defend Jackson, but the fact that you are reveals an agenda that has caused you to miss the point of my position which has nothing to do with Jackson specifically.

5. JetsNation06

Wait...what? We are specifically talking about Jackson here so how can you say that your point has nothing to do with Jackson? If your point has nothing to do with Jackson then I have no idea what we're talking about lol

And you issued an equally broad statement that Jackson is a problem off the field and a detriment to the team. Again if that's the case then use some quantifiable examples to back it up. He's never been arrested during his pro career. He's stayed out of trouble. He also was a major reason why his team made the playoffs last year. Doesn't sound like a team divider to me. If you think he is, then that's your opinion. However I think you're basing your opinion largely on reputation and rumors rather than looking at the facts of the individual player that we're discussing. His production last year speaks for itself.

6. JetBlue

that is absolutely wrong.

of course I made a broad statement, but it didn't say anything about Jackson. it stated, and I will quote it, "it is about what effect a player's attitude can have on the team which would negate the claim that all that matters is what happens on the field." that applies to Jackson because it applies to every player in the league.

it would apply to Jackson the same as it would apply to any player -- that if he is a locker room problem, that can't be dismissed by the claim that all that matters is what happens on the field. no, what happens on the field is a repercussion of many things, including how the team comes together as team, which can be disrupted by a bad personality. Holmes put up good numbers in 2011 but was a huge problem that hurt the team. his impact went beyond just what happened on the field.

7. JetsNation06

And you're more wrong and avoiding my rebuttal. Again you keep dancing around Jackson and talking in generalities which is boring. Try to state exactly what Jackson did in your eyes that makes him such a team killer and locker room problem as you insinuate that he is. That's what this is about. It's not about any player, we're specifically talking about Jackson and his issues.

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

His release from the Eagles was all about money. The entire league knows Jackson is a bit of a head case, and also that he clearly is not a gang member. He isn't a locker room cancer, despite being kind of dumb. The Jets did not sign him for reasons of money as well. That truly is all there is to it. People can talk about a rift between he and Kelly all you want, but the only rift was between Jackson's checks and Howie Roseman's signing pen.

9. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Well in Chris Johnson News: Any updates on him and the titans situation?

10. JetBlue

I never said Jackson is a team killer. you didn't say all that matters is what Jackson does on the field, and that only applies to Jackson and other players you hold to different rules. mainly because that would be an illogical position.

a logical argument is a broad argument. therefore your claim, if logical, that all that matters about Jackson is what happens on the field, not in the locker room would have to apply to all players. if you are qualifying that statement and narrowing it to only apply to Jackson, and that you don't think the same applies to other players, than it is an illogical argument.

that isn't a generality, it is the repercussion of a broad nd logical argument.

so, are you saying your position only applies to Jackson that all that matters is what happens on the field, which is illogical, or are you making the logical position that all that matters with any player is what happens on the field. That would be incorrect, but it would be logically sound.

you have backed yourself into quite a corner. if handled broadly and logically I have shown your position to be wrong. to defend your position you have to claim it is a narrow argument and illogical.

11. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Holmes is to blame after 2011?

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It doesn't even have to be a destructive personality, just a guy working towards his own ends and goals to the exclusion of everything else.

When Mark Sanchez was really struggling after the midpoint in 2011 it was time for everybody to pull together and try to get him over the hump. If the QB fails the whole team is going to fail.

That's not the point at which you start worrying about give me the ball and we're doing everything wrong and it's everybody's fault but mine so I'm going to go my own way.

Part of being a good teammate is not pointing fingers. Another part is doing everything you can to help the people who are struggling. A third part is figuring out how to give the right public feedback.

It would have taken a load of pressure off that locker room down the stretch if Santonio Holmes had been out front saying that we know we have some issues (on the field), we're working on them and we're going to persevere. Even if he didn't believe that he'd have been contributing to the team getting over the hump. A lot of the dissension in the locker room stories would have been lessened or even averted if one of the guys supposedly involved in the conflicts had been out front facing them down.

I'm not saying that singing Kumbaya is a panacea for all drama issues in the locker room, particularly those rooted in skill deficits, but teams win football games and individuals crumble and Holmes was a very high profile individual down the stretch in 2011.

13. MaximusD163

Cap cuts are not always made just to get under the cap. Many are made to give a higher role over, especially when there are player redundancies. Having Maclin, Cooper, and Jackson is redundant, especially when LeSean McCoy is going to be receiving so many carries.

14. MaximusD163

Teams don't like saying publicly how much of the roster moves are about money because fans always get mad and call the front office cheap. Not being a good leader at $10+ million didn't help his case either... Value can be found in many ways, not just putting up numbers.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

16. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

Yeah that would suck to see the Giants get him. I don't see what is funny about that idea though

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

What's funny about it is the Giants need a RB in the worse way ,I can see them offering more money.There's really nothing funny about it lol

18. JetsNation06

Talk about sitting on the fence. Well you sure as hell could've fooled anyone on here who can comprehend English if you're now backtracking on the Jackson talk. So if you didn't say Jackson was a team killer than what exactly are you implying Jackson's faults are to any prospective team that he was going to join?

19. JetsNation06

Chris Johnson isn't going to be the difference between the Jets making or not making the playoffs. The Jets have too many holes to fill to overspend on CJ. Sproles would've addressed multiple needs and would've been a better pickup than CJ in the same price range.

20. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

They have Jennings now from Oakland. He's a workhorse. Took D. McFadden's job last year, not that it was that hard to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.