Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I agree,plus if we add a wideout with speed could make this offense very good.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think Johnson would be a good acquisition for these reasons, but it's all going to come down to the contract. I really don't know what his value will be to other teams around the league, he's paid $8 million right now, so if he is released what do you think he could muster?

3. Geno007

I'm going to say 5-6mil.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

$5 million is his ceiling I bet based on his declining stats last year. RB is a position that can hit the wall quick, and it is hard to tell was his decline because of the team or because of him. I don't think teams are going to spend a lot to find out. that's just the shitty part of being a RB.

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Ben Tate got 3.5, Toby Gerhart got 3. 3 per year seems the RB standard now. I don't think CJ gets more than 4.

Chris St. John likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If those two guys got those contracts, CJ can absolutely get more than 4. People forget how talented he is and just how perfect of a fit he can be in a pass-oriented, quick-paced offense splitting time with a bruiser RB.

7. Geno007

I agree... All those backs he named are career backups. CJ is a proven talent that is a game breaker.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not nearly so high on Smith as you, and in fact view the Vick signing as a pure upgrade, albeit likely only in the short run.

But where I agree with you, and my big picture objection to the Vick signing, is that signing Vick does nothing to address the medium term, let alone the long term. I think we are more or less in agreement, despite the theoretical possibility that it could still occur, that it is unlikely even if Vick has an excellent season that he will be on the Jets next year. Whether that is due to his health or because he will go elsewhere, the main piont is he is unlikely to be the Jet Qb next season.

Hey we could be wrong. Maybe he likes playing for Rex. I know some say there were issues between him and Marty, but I have to assume those were resolved in his joining the team. Marty is about the best thing going imo in the whole CS to FO part of the team, and maybe Vick will want to stay with Marty after this year.

But despite that, I still think it unlikely Vick is Jet Qb in 15.

Sooooo yes. We may well have no better idea this time next year who the Jet Qb is going forward. Many here say if Smith more or less does not play this year, that means the Jets will make a big move to get someone else. But I wonder about that if the reason Smith does not play is simply that Vick has a great year.

Having said that, and acknowledging your concern, I intend to go forward hoping Vick does have a great year, and that the chips as far as Smith is concerned will fall where they may.

I am coming around to the idea that on balance the Vick signing was a good one. If they let him win the job, he will. I remain concerned whether he will last the whole season, but I really don't want to spend another season watching another Jet Qb play mediocre football, which is what I think we would see with Smith. Vick is not mediocre, and I will worry about 15 next off season.

A ray of sunshine.

#288 Big Blocker, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Exactly, both those guys I mentioned above (very underrated by the mainstream btw) are getting paid to be the number one guy by their new team. CJ would be in full time-share mode here.

10. Chris St. John

I'd be happy with CJ?K at 3 yr 12 mill, 5-6 gtd. If we did get him, we would arguably have the gotten the #1 WR, RB and QB in free agency.

11. NYJets17

NYJets17 Well-Known Member

Could have gotten the 2 best WR's :(

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The best WR was Jackson.

13. Chris St. John

On the field I would agree D Jax is a better WR than Decker. But IMO I think the combination of Decker's intelligence, his bigger frame, and an all around better teammate makes up for that plus a little extra.

14. Geno007

On the field is what counts most. If it didn't player like T.O.,Randy Moss wouldn't had lasted long.

15. Chris St. John

There's a reason why T.O. and Moss played for so many teams in their careers. Being a good teammate means you make other people around you better. I'm not talking on the field when a #1 WR draws an extra man in coverage. I'm talking about helping other players learn, watching tape with them, staying late with your QB to get an extra edge. Theres more to being a teammate than what shows up on stats at the end of the year.

I don't want to turn this into a D Jax vs Decker thread, but my opinion is that Decker is a better fit for our team. I've seen what Holmes did to our locker room the last few years, I just don't want another me-first WR.

16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Holmes was never half the talent that D Jax is. You have to factor that in when making any comparison. Yet there really is no comparison as one player is superior on the field to the other.

17. Chris St. John

I agree that D Jax is a better receiver than "in his prime" Holmes , not twice as much but indeed better. Unfortunately, I don't think that changes how their negative attitudes effect the locker room.

18. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I hear ya but I just don't think Jackson is nearly the locker room problem that people are making him out to be. He's not a media whore like TO and Chad Johnson were. I think it was more a philosophical and culture gap between him and the Eagles FO and coaching staff. I think he'll be pretty low maintenance as a Redskin, let me caveat that by saying at least in Year 1 and as long as they're competitive and not a doormat.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no you don't, because it isn't about which is the better player, it is about what effect a player's attitude can have on the team which would negate the claim that all that matters is what happens on the field.

a game is 60 minutes long. the players deal with each other and prepare for the games for 60 hours a week. a team can be ruined before it ever steps on the field if there is a destructive personality on the team.

Br4d and Chris St. John like this.
  20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

So, how destructive to the Eagles was Jackson last year? I seem to recall they made the playoffs.

Look, I understand that Kelly seems to not like Jackson, and he has his reasons. But most likely it had more to do with his contract than anything else. Kelly thinks he can get a rookie wideout who along with the rest of his receivers and with Foles will be effective. He may be right. But if he didn't feel that way, I doubt they would have cut Jackson, locker room problems or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.