Jets looking at Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Geno007, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

2. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

If anything he is pushing poor rexy out the door. Rex's bread and butter is defense and the linebackers are slow and the secondary is god awful. Idzik has done nothing to solidify these 2 areas thus far. Rex is definitely still dead man walking and he will be fired if the team is awful next year and doesnt catch the same breaks they caught this year. Idzik better hit on some of his high draft picks or its adios Rex sooner then later.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'm seeing some crazy posts like this getting casually thrown around and I seriously can't believe my eyes...

Do you really think Geno Smith is the starting QB of this team week 1? Better yet, do you really think they are getting targets for HIM, ie. building around him???

Have you watched the game of football closely before? Smith couldn't hold Vicks jock, and if Idzik is building this team around Smith like you claim then he's gonna be out of a job in a few short years.

Sorry to single you out because you aren't the only one, but holy shit. I've haven't been following the board as much lately but I figured the Geno smith talk would be mute now that this team has a legitimate starting nfl QB in Vick (albeit a weaker one). People really think he's no. 2? To Geno smith???

4. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea, they do. I've given up even trying. They think Geno is a franchise qb. A lot of people here in for a rude awakening. Geno will be fortunate if he's still in the NFL in three years.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

While I was in the dump Sanchez crowd the at least there was an argument that could be made. A very weak one that some people took too far, I digress...

But this kid Geno smith didn't really do anything but get in the way for a whole season. It's a no brainier that Vick is the QB in my opinion.

The kid may or may not have a future if he sits and learns, idk. perhaps im not as down on him as you are, but shit that's saying something if I can't even imagine him starting over Vick. I would be STUNNED if he's behind center week 1, and I would have to question the "competition" process

6. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

I hated Geno last season but the thing he has going for him most is that his stats with and without Kerley are so drastically different. With Kerley he was competent so the argument for actually having viable targets and he's a good QB is not a bad argument.

I think he's a bad decision maker and watching him run 20 yards backwards for a sack and all his horrible fumbles got me really down on him but Im not going to argue with people who think he deserves a chance. As a rookie he was given no help in the passing game and thats not on Geno.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I love your new name dude.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The thing is, he's really a project player. He should have been warming the bench, working on improving his basic footwork and techniques. Instead he got thrown into the fire with no help. He's a developmental pick. Maybe he will pan out, it'll be great if he does. I'm just saying the odds are against it. That's the reality how I see it. Gets a bit frustrating when everyone else thinks it's a given he should be our starting qb.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

To me it's not about whether he or Vick should be, my prediction is that Geno will win the competition in both our eyes and the coaching staff's eyes. Could be wrong though.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Johnson is going to sign with a team that promises him a shot at being the featured back. Why would Johnson sign with the Jets when he knows that he will be part of a RBBC here? Johnson would be a great signing as a change of pace back and a 3rd down back, but he is not a featured back and hasn't been for 3 years now. With him, its either 20 carries for 22 yards or he takes one or two of those carries for long runs, which makes him a 100 yard back for that game. However, you don't win games that way. You win with backs that gain 4-5 yards at a time. Johnson on the Jets getting 5-8 carries a game and 3 receptions is right, but may not be what he wants.

As for Idzik being cheap, that is a ridiculous statement. Its not his money. You don't spend it just because the Jets have it. And there is nothing wrong with putting a price on a player and not going over that price just because another team will. The big players in free agency don't win championships. They end up in cap hell with mediocre records. It is the teams that build through the draft that win titles.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Since when are you a QB guru??? Why aren't you working for an NFL team if you know so much about QB mechanics?

I have an idea - if you know so much about QBs, tell us which QBs about to get drafted will have the best careers. Rank the top 5 in order, best to worst with reasons. Let's see how you do 5 years from now.

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

Here's something you and I agree with. Good post.

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm a holy man and after my prophecies of super success for Russell Wilson and Nick Foles came true the NFL ruled it would be unfair for one team to use my powers for their advantage. But anyway, my bad for doubting your messiah. Namaste.

14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

CJ ..... Is coming off a torn meniscus and is by many accounts, a jerk. Nope.

15. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

[quote="we have TWELVE picks in what is considered the deepest draft of the last 20 years. That is more exciting than FA.[/quote]

Absolutely agree with Junc's point. Quite a few people have forgotten, what I fondly refer to as the"Chaz Schillen season", where we were signing a new piece of trash every week. And had hopes pinned on Arron Maybin, who was last seen on the PRACTICE squad of a CFL team, becoming a complete player. I for one am excited the Jets are keeping all of the picks picks and hopefully will go about drafting guys that will actually do something. I'll say this though, the Jets better take players in round 1-4 that are considered "complete" players. If we blow our 2nd round pick again I'm going to flip the hell out.

'08
    Keller (could have totally avoided the last week oh DJax insanity)
    '09
    no pick
    '10
    no pick, er I mean Vlad Ducasse
    '11
    no pick
    '12
    Hill
    '13
    Geno

The sad thing about this is that Keller, and his vanishing act, is that he's probably going down as the best player from this sad stretch. The jury is still out on Smith, but last year I saw Sanchez 2.0. And as much as I don't like Vick as a person, I'd rather see him start the year with Geno sitting and getting his head screwed on straight. Which is something we never did, and couldn't do, with Sanchez because they wouldn't go get a backup worth a damn. Mark Brunell, David Garrard and finally Matt Simms, don't even count as qualified backups.

#255 hastygreen, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  16. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

What makes your word god? Some of you people that come on here really need to realize this is a message board and ur opinion is not god.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yes, I think the Jets coaching staff is looking to start Geno Smith week 1 barring any set-backs in his progression. They want to see if he's the long-term answer. Now, I believe he's not the answer at this juncture but the Jets are willing to find out. At this stage of these 2 players' careers, Geno is only going to go up and Vick has no-where else to go but down at this stage.

If Geno struggles, they will obviously put Vick in.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You should know, I don't think Geno is a franchise QB.

I would rather crash and burn with Geno then to waste our time with Vick this season in my opinion. At least then we get a new QB in next year's draft.

#258 101GangGreen101, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I don't care if he is a jerk ,if you played for a perrinal loser like the Titans you might be a jerk to.I'm sure if he played for Rex his attitude might change

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

You can only hope Johnson realizes the sham Idzik is trying to pull and fire him first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.