Jets hot for Aussie rugby star

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NotSatoshiNakamoto, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Nothing else to get fired up about at the moment I guess...

2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

This offseason continues to be BOSS!!!

3. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Now picture 2:19 in the end zone.

4. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

The way I'm seeing it at the moment, the least we'll get is a solid special teams player. He knows how to tackle, though without pads, but I'm sure he'll pick that up. He knows how to hold the line on defense in rugby, which could translate to holding your lane in kick and punt coverage with some work. Don't expect anything flashy hit-wise though, since shoulder barges are illegal in rugby, so he likely won't instinctively go for the big hit. That could be good though, as you can rely on him to wrap up his man.

Edit: If he sees the field, he could be a decent carrying back if we're in a pinch. He's used to contact, and could probably gains some yards after first contact.

#84 Cidusii, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

Tim Brewster is training the kid ( same guy who converted gates to a pro-bowl tight end ) and has him listed at 265 - Thats big enough to push some bodies.

Additionally - If he's used to playing rugby, and is that good at it to make the US team. He probably has some experience with moving large bodies.

6. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

Thats because he is heavier now.

7. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Hope he can block!

8. Ajitator

Ajitator Well-Known Member

I think thats the beauty of this signing. For next to nothing we get possibly one of the most athletically/physically gifted bodies in the NFL for next to nothing for 3 years. We can groom him to be whatever he wants and there are a lot of aspects of rugby that will translate.

"Taking a piece of clay like that, and I am going to tell you Hayden Smith is one beautiful piece of clay, just mold them into what you want him to be." - Brewster ( the trainer )

9. Tonetime320

Tonetime320 Member

Nothing like a badass guy with a charming accent haha. With him and possibly Braylon we might have something to look forward to.

10. tzinc

tzinc New Member

Back up TE was a need. And that need has been filled. SS was a need and that need has been filled. Back up QB was a need and that need has been filled... let's see how the draft plays out and then the late FA cuts. FS RT RB WR OLB/DE all need to be addressed.

11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Wow they must have really liked him signed him to a 3 year deal.

12. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

The more I think about this the more I like it. Signing dirt cheap contributors/depth is an important aspect of cap manipulation.

13. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

3 years 335,000 and 100,00 guaranteed is pretty much a guarantee that he will see time on the field. I just hope its a good showing and hes a natural and we score a good one.

14. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

Woody is trying to tap into the Australian Market now.... Is there nothing this guy won't do for publicity. It's almost pathetic at this point....

Sarcasm, before you all flip out ! ; )

I like this signing. It shows the the FO isn't going to back down after this disappointing season and is still willing to take chances.

15. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The guy has never played a down in the NFL and you're pronouncing the TE need filled?

Hey, this guy may just turn out to be the greatest thing since Ditka, but he will need at least a year in the league just to learn the game. The jets still need a good blocking TE for this year.

16. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I think they are getting worked up because he is a AUSSIE rugby star & they think he will be spitting out steel nails or something like that :sad:

17. patfanken

patfanken Banned

Reality Check - First let me say that I think this was a very nice signing. Even one I wish the Pats had made. However I think a lot of Jet fans are making way too much of it.

Over on Pats boards, you'll be happy to know that many Pats fans wish that we had made this kind of out of the box signing. They are comparing it to when the Pats signed Stephen Neal, who was an NCAA champion wrestler and never played college ball. He ended up being a 7 year starter at RG though injuries cut his career short.

This is where the warning comes in. It wasn't until Neal's FOURTH season that he got any significant snaps. And the transition from wrestling to OL would seem to be easier than Rugby to NFL TE. (and Neal played football in HS)

Again I think it was a smart signing, but to think that this kid might make the 53 man roster THIS season is a long shot indeed. Making the PS would be a huge accomplishment. After that who knows. In a couple of years, it could very well turn out to be a genius move. But THIS season? I don't think so.

18. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

19. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^^ all of a sudden your board is the voice of reason. Your days atop of the AFC east are numbered, closing fast. Brady is about 2-3 years from retiring and he is pretty much a stone statue now with ref support. I believe you guys will lose a lot this season.

20. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

I highly disagree that wrestling is an easier translation to football than Rugby is. Rugby includes all of the same elements that football has, wrestling is only providing the knowledge of leverage which is nice for a blocker but only one component. It is not so far fetched to expect some type of production out of Smith late this year into next season.

Jimmy Graham played only 1 season of football in college ( as I am a Miami fan I watched his transition) and was able to make an impact early on.

With Smiths size and natural athleticism he has a legitimate chance to be a blocking TE on this team, especially since we have a major lack of that to begin with.