Jets free agents: who should we keep?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 4, 2012.

1. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Here's what i would d:

Nick Folk, CUT - dude sucks balls.

Kevin O’Connell I DON’T CARE

Mark Brunell, CUT - he has little to offer Sanchez anymore, time to move on.

Plaxico Burress, KEEP - a favorite of mine, great blocker and red zone threat. Him, Turner, and BRAYLON EDWARDS would be a nightmare for corners, especially when we run the ball

LaDainian Tomlinson, KEEP - VITAL leadership role, still has some speed which showed in the Miami game, great blocker, hands, and spell to Greene

Brodney Pool, CUT - dude sucks balls and Ahmad Bradshaw made him his bitch.

Donald Strickland, KEEP - very underrated corner in my opinion. great for Dime personnel

Aaron Maybin, KEEP - good SITUATIONAL passrusher, not a starter by any means.

Jamaal Westerman, KEEP - another rotational situational passrusher, decent starter, probably better served for a backup role, but a solid player, and a Rutgers boy nonetheless

Ellis Lankster, I DON’T CARE - good depth since he was resigned already

Matthew Mulligan, CUT - dude really sucks balls, how can you be a blocking tight-end and not be good at blocking? i'm 5'8" 145lbs, and couldn't do no worse as a blocking tight end than this jabroni

Patrick Turner, KEEP - big reciever, good blocker, good chemistry with Sanchez, nice 4th or 5th reciever to have, i like him.

Rob Turner KEEP - solid O-line depth, tough SOB

Sione Pouha KEEP -THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT IN MY OPINION, the Jets MUST re-sign Sione. He is a leader, and one of the most underrated Nose Tackles in the game. sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal, have him mentor Ellis and then cut ties.

2. JetsNation28

JetsNation28 New Member

Sione Pouha: A must keep, he is a beast in the middle plus his name is fun to say.

LaDainian Tolminson: I would like LT to come back but want to see McKnight play more though. We need leadership and who better then LT

Robert Turner: I don't know if he will come back but I would like it if he did. He is a pretty good at G/C and would provide some depth which the Jets just didn't have this season

Brodney Pool: Would rather have him be replaced by a more athletic safety. He is a big guy but is just not very athletic or has the ability to cover TEs. If he comes back whatever but would rather see him replaced but a more athletic ball hawk type like Dashon Goldson of the 49ers who will be a FA.

Donald Strickland: Played pretty well when he was on the field, bring him back I guess

Jim Leonhard: He is a system player and we know how important he is as the QB of the defense so I think he needs to come back. I think if the Jets get a bigger, stronger, quicker safety back there to play alongside him that might solve our safety issue

Kevin O'Connel: Whatever, at least he doesn't go on the radio

Bryan Thomas: Too old and too many injuries, we need to get younger

Mark Brunell: He needs the money but we need a real backup not a father figure

Plaxico Burress: Scores TDs in the redzone but is not a every down receiver. Would like him back but don't expect him to be back

Nick Folk: Enough of Folk, he misses way too much and can't even record a touchback.

Restricted FAs:

Marquice Cole: Solid special teams player, bring him back

Jamaal Westerman: Showed signs of good play when he did play and can get to the QB, played well enough to come back

Patrick Turner: Big target and is improving, would like to see him on the team next year

Aaron Maybin: Played like the player the Bills drafted him to be. He will be back I think and will continue to develop in the system

Exclusive Rights FAs:

Martin Tevaseau: Never really played but the coaches loved him so yeah

Ellis Lankster: Only saw him on special teams, replaceable

Matthew Mulligan: PLEASE leave, he is a walking Yellow Flag

Overall, the Jets need to get quicker and bigger on defense both in the Linebacker and Safety position. Keep Leonhard because he knows the defense and I just don't see him being highly touted by other teams.

Also, get a legit kicker please Neil Rackers or Jay Feeley would do.

3. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Patrick Turner has great hands, if you rewatch the bills game he caught a crucial 3rd and long in heavy traffic.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

He better have good hands since he almost runs as slow as Plaxico, and thats saying a lot.

5. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I want these guys back, LT, Pouha, Jim Leonard, and Arron Maybin. Maybe Plax, but certainly not Nick Folk.

6. TheSultanOfFootball

TheSultanOfFootball New Member

Sione Pouha: Our most expensive re-signing probably. This guy is a must to have at NT. Also a team captain. We need him back. No Kenrick Ellis bullshit as he has done nothing this year.

LaDainian Tolminson: I want him back for two reasons. 1) He is still capable of producing as a 3rd down back. 2) He is the ONLY leader we have on offense... the ONLY one. Without him we're screwed. Also I'm not a McKnight fan and he will not be the safety blanket LT is for Sanchez, at least not next year.

Robert Turner: I really like him as a C/G and I think we missed him greatly this season. If Callahan goes somewhere I expect he goes with him, otherwise I hope he stays.

Brodney Pool: Would like him back, if anything because of how shitty our situation is in the secondary.

Donald Strickland: Good for depth at DB. Vet min I suppose...

Jim Leonhard: Depends on the money he's asking. A leader but coming from 2 serious injuries. Having played his whole career under Rex I'd expect him to give the Jets a hometown discount. If he does welcome back, otherwise bye bye Jimmy. (we might not have the money to re-sign him to begin with).

Kevin O'Connel: Who cares. If he's our 3rd string QB so be it... but I'm not all that interested really.

Bryan Thomas: Old, serious injury, needed an upgrade to begin with. Bye Bye.

Mark Brunell: Time to retire and become a QB coach. Maybe our QB coach?

Plaxico Burress: Good season but not worth the 3 mill. Also not really a high character guy... bye bye.

Nick Folk: Too unreliable on easy kicks. Bye bye.

Restricted FAs:

Marquice Cole: ST ace. a must re-sign.

Jamaal Westerman: Not going to cost much and proved he belongs on this team. as a ST player in particular but also in some packages with the D.

Patrick Turner: Progressing nicely.

Aaron Maybin: Of course I want him back, didn't realize he was a RFA.

Exclusive Rights FAs:

Martin Tevaseau: Who cares. Coaches love him though so I guess that's a good sign.

Ellis Lankster: Who cares.

Matthew Mulligan: Die in a fire bitch.[/QUOTE]
    The only things I do NOT agree on with you is about keeping Brodney Pool and releasing Nick Folk. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing both Pool and Jimmy being released. Brodney Pool IMO SUCKS and jimmy with his injuries, I do not find worth paying him as much and feel like we can find a more viable starter (or resolve these position issues through the draft). Nick Folk has since improved as a kicker ever since becoming a Jet and I feel like every week, Westoff has him progress as a kicker and right now, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and keep him. Unless we're getting a kicker like Janikowski, I see no real reason of letting Folk go.

7. Tonetime320

Tonetime320 Member

I agree completely.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Every year, people want to cut Bryan Thomas and blow draft picks on pass rushers. While Thomas doesn't keep QBs up at night, he does just fine stuffing the run and making tackles.

I would make sure that the injury isn't going to be an issue next season before paying full price but our defense got worse when he was injured. He won't exactly break the bank and is worth every penny that we pay him. Thomas shows up, does his job, and isn't in the newspapers every week mouthing off like some of our captains.

Pouha, Thomas, and Turner should all be Jets next year.

I agree with most of the other decisions but would cut ties with Jim Leonard (gets hurt every year) and LT (we need to give McKnight the opportunity).

9. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I'd keep Pouha, LT, Turner and Maybin.MAYBE Strickland for the Vet Min. Everyone else can go.

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of hearing this absolute garbage. Jimmy is a baller, all this guy does is exactly what's expected of him every sunday week in week out. "He's too small, he can't cover TE's" didn't he push 6'6" 265lb Jason Witten out of bounds to put us in position to win the game against Dallas?

I agree about the money situation but that's it. You can't question his ability, and look who's been in the backfield with him... Ed Reed would struggle back there with Eric Smith, c'mon man.

11. Lost on Revis Island

Sione Pouha: I think we all know how important a NT is to the 3-4 defense. He is well above average in my opinion and deserves alot of credit for our run defense the past few years and i believe he is very valuble to david harris. SIGN

LaDainian Tolminson: I also like LT's leadership qualities and think he has enough in the tank to give us one more year. To me he flat out looked better than Greene against the phins (week 17). We have lost to many offensive leaders the past few years from Faneca, to Jones, to Richardson. SIGN

Robert Turner: Versitile and adds much needed depth. Not to mention he was very valueable to us as an eligible linemen in the jumbo sets. SIGN

Brodney Pool: I like him as a backup. The last couple years we have learned how valueable safey depth is. FRINGE (can go either way)

Donald Strickland: Knows the system but is replaceable. Depth at cornerback is also important for Rex's system. FRINGE

Jim Leonhard: Leonhard is a gamer and invalueable to our secondary. I dont think he should be the best safety on the field, he serves much better in the #2 role like he was when he played beside Reed and even Rhodes in '09. SIGN

Kevin O'Connel: LET WALK

Bryan Thomas: Injury risk, good against run, underrated against the pass, no pass rush. FRINGE

Mark Brunell: LET WALK

Plaxico Burress: Red zone threat! Maybe a full offseason program will do him well. Had trouble getting seperation between the 20's but was effective in the red zone. With the new holmes situation Plax gains a little more value. Our WR cannot keep changing every yr. SIGN

Nick Folk: What other options out there? Let me down, missing a number of what i felt were easy FG's. FRINGE

Restricted FAs:

Marquice Cole: Great special teamer. Seconday depth. SIGN

Jamaal Westerman: Has shown signs of improvements every year. Quality backup LB, good depth. SIGN

Patrick Turner: Hasnt shown me much. Good blocker. Replaceable. FRINGE

Aaron Maybin: He was our best pass rushing threat but he seemed very one dimensional with his speed rush. To many times i saw him run 5 yards past the QB and take himself out of the play. Most of his sacks were because of the coverage where he just hustled until he got to the QB. But im all for having guys who hustle their butts off. SIGN

Exclusive Rights FAs:

Martin Tevaseau: I noticed him when he got in games. Good DL depth. SIGN

Ellis Lankster: Already resigned

Matthew Mulligan: As good as gone. Would not even reach out to his agents. GARBAGE

12. Thesanchize81

Thesanchize81 New Member

Clean house, only Turner and Pouha. The rest of the FA can gfts.

13. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

KEEPERS : Pouha;Robert & Patrick Turner; Jim Leonard; Plax; Folk; Westerman; Maybin; Tevaseau is an up & coming NT/DE...great size & agility. If u watch him...he controls & clogs his area well. Pool...I bring him back, but he's the last player I would sign....4-5 Safety on team.

BOOT EM' : Mulligan; Strickland; Brunell; Cole; O'Connell; Lankster.

ROSTER CUTS : T.J. Conley-P; Garrett McIntyre-OLB; Eric Smith-Safety; Isiah Trufant-CB.

14. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Lets get this STRAIGHT>>>.STRICKLAND suks in pass coverage. Strickland was a effective player 2 years ago. Now he can't cover ur grandma !!!

15. joeklecko

joeklecko New Member

You're wrong. Strickland had a very good year with SD last year. He had an off year this year and I think he will bounce back next season. Some of you guys act like the Jets can just cut all their FAs and sign replacements. Cap space will be at a premium. They really can't afford to replace a bunch of guys then have them not know the system.

16. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

I don't get why some of you aren't sold on Turner, dude is huge and has fantastic hands and is a great run blocker. Im talking about the WR

17. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

Mayhem baby! Bring it. Not a starter yet, but future looking good. This is obviously a good fit for him.