Jets free agents: who should we keep?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

If they let everyone else go I would not care, but they must sign Pouha and Turner

2. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

matt mulligan DIE IN A FIRE - buahwhahahah - call it a baked potato -

3. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Agreed on all points with the OP.

At first I was thinking LT is history, but leadership has never had more value than it does now. He still looked like a productive player this year too. Bring LT back.

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%

5. casman02

casman02 New Member

This is how I see it:

Unrestricted:

Bryan Thomas - No. The injury was a killer. I expect the Jets to draft someone in the first 2 rounds here to replace him.
    Sione Pouha - Resign. Great locker room guy, excellent against the run and had a terrific season.
    Jim Leonhard - Like OP said it depends on what he is asking. I would like an upgrade at at least one safety, but Jimmy knows the system and hopefully can help the new guy with it.
    LaDainian Tomlinson - Depends on roster size. I am not a big fan of carrying 4 RBs, but if Powell shows nothing and we have room for him then I would like to keep him.
    Robert Turner - Resign. Depth is an issue at this position. If he recovers he should be a solid back up. I could see him being a goner if the Jets think Vlad is worth diddly poop, so he will probably return
    Kevin O'Connell - No. No need 4th QB. We will likely bring in a new 2nd stringer and McElroy will be the 3.
    Mark Brunell - No. Too old to play and there is nothing more he can "teach" Sanchez. I see them bringing in a new #2.
    Plaxico Burress - Depends on what they do with Holmes. I think many have stated it would be tough to cut Holmes due to financial reasons, but if the Jets decide to, I want as little movement as possible in the WR corps. The Jets should draft a receiver in the 1st 2 rounds.
    Nick Folk - No. I don't think this warrants an explanation
    Brodney Pool - No. Lost his starting job to Eric Smith and was not too good when he was in there for Leonhard. I see him gone.
    Donald Strickland - Depends. He is the 4th corner and did ok, but is replaceable.

Restricted:

Marquice Cole - Resign. Excellent ST guy.
    Jamaal Westerman - Resign. Decent situational pass rusher.
    Patrick Turner - Resign. Did pretty good as the 4th WR. Has chemistry with Sanchez and is a solid blocker.
    Aaron Maybin - Resign. Good in certain situations. His play this year warrants an extension.

Exclusive Rights:

Matthew Mulligan - NO. No explanation needed
    Ellis Lankster - Depends on what happens with Strickland. If Strick is gone, I would bring back Lankster as a 5th CB and ST guy. Otherwise he is replaceable.
    Martin Tevaseu - No. I like him as a player, but if Ellis progresses like he should (and does not get deported) he won't have a role on the team. DL is one place we have good depth I feel.

6. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I like Thomas, but the problem with looking at any of the LB's is that the Jets need to have more overall speed from them. Pace had a very good year, imo, and I believe is under contract, so it makes more sense to keep him than Thomas. And Harris is going nowhere, despite lacking in coverage skills. Scott? Hard to say at this point. He did not have the great year he had the year before, but I don't think he's declined all that much, and cutting him I think has cap hit issues.

That leaves Thomas as the odd man out, particularly since he's a free agent.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Why can't I find "Shoot Hunter in the head" from the posting above? That is one of the most critical issue you should solve.

9. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Pouha is the only guy that may get offered a big contract from another team. With that being said, he's old and has never been productive outside of Rex's system. He shouldn't cost that much for a 2 or 3 year deal.

10. casman02

casman02 New Member

Because he is under contract. This thread is about people whose contract with the Jets are up.

11. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We've never draft a LB I doubt we will see it this year ... it's disappointing but I hope your right

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Sione Pouha: Definitely at least give him another year or 2. He's earned it and Ellis isn't yet ready for starting duties.

LaDainian Tolminson:Absolutely I'd love to see him for 1 more year. He's still got it, and I'd like to see him break more records, plus he's a great mentor for McKnight and Greene, plus a team leader on offense.

Robert Turner: Anything to add depth to the line, I'm down with, unless we sign an established vet and keep Hunter as a backup, but I feel Turner is better than Hunter. We def missed him this year.

Brodney Pool: I have mixed feelings. Sometimes the guy looks amazing, but sometimes he looks terrible. He got straight run over by Bradshaw without even slowing him down. I think we should give him a cheap deal as a backup. Hopefully we'll cut Smith, because Pool is better, and sign / draft a safety.

Donald Strickland: If we can get him a cheap deal than sure. He did help, but he's nothing special. Kyle Wilson is better now I feel, so he's not critical anymore. A good backup though.

Jim Leonhard: Absolutely sign this man. We've seen how our secondary falls apart without him. If we can replace Smith with a good veteran, we'll be set, although it may not be necessary considering we were still 5th in the league against the pass.

Kevin O'Connel: Meh.

Bryan Thomas: Old, serious injury, needed an upgrade to begin with. Bye Bye.

Mark Brunell: Meh,

Plaxico Burress: I expected way more out of him, but it's clear he's not the player he once was and can't get separation to save his life. He can make big catches in a crowd, but its not reliable and he's been responsible for several catches being called back for personal fouls or offensive PI, and at least 2 interceptions. He was lucky he didn't get a face mask in the Dolphins game. Too much of a hassle to resign, unless it's a cheap 1 year deal again. I'd rather draft a receiver, however, and maybe sign an aged veteran for some leadership. It could also be he's just rusty, but he still had the 'thuggish' menality with all the fouls.

Nick Folk: I can't stand the guy. Please for the love of all that is good, ditch this man. He literally has 1 job to worry about and can't even do that right. He started the season decently, but sucked in the later portion, plus his onsides kick the other day wasn't even remotely close. Not worthy to play for Westhoff.

Marquice Cole: Keep him, but don't overpay him.

Jamaal Westerman: He seems to be improving, I'd say give him a shot.

Patrick Turner: He had a touchdown last week with minimal game time. He's a nice backup and outplayed Holmes' entire game in one drive against the phins

Aaron Maybin: Absolutely sign him. No question about it.

Martin Tevaseau: Meh, I didn't really see much out of him.

Ellis Lankster: nothing special.

Matthew Mulligan: Bye bye.

13. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

If we can't find an upgrade to Brodney Pool, God help us.

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I know he is under the contract. Hence the "Shoot Hunter in the head."

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with the OP. Although I'd put Pool in the orange. He's dependent on if something better is available.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I am pretty sure I heard Tannenbaum say Brunell would be back...that's what we have to deal with as fans.

17. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

that's crazy

18. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Pretty good list, Don't care for Pool, I think we can do better there and we re-signed Lankster yesterday.

19. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

i agree for the most part. i don't really care for poole or lt coming back. i understand lt is a leader but his production is just so down there. and his leadership didn't stop the team from melting down.

i'm also curious to see bilal powell in action.

20. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

he saw action in the Denver game, and he sucked. He fumbled the ball on the goal line that Matt Slauson recovered for a touchdown. the few runs he had this year were very unimpressive and uninspiring. he doesn't look very fast.