Jets first in line for Lamar Jackson if he becomes available - SNY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 9, 2023.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Bills blew their chance when they had KC on the ropes with 13 seconds left. They are now on the downswing. The Bengals game was not really close.

SOJAZ, twown and bicketybam like this.
  2. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

The bills will have a top qb in the league for the next 10 years. That is not a downswing lol

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

As did the Packers and the Saints and even Seattle. It looks like the BIlls missed their window.

Brook! and bicketybam like this.
  4. Bills over Jets

LOL ok.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Well thought out response.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Packers drafted Rodgers in 2005, first started him in 2008, and won the Super Bowl in Feb 2011. The Saints traded for Brees in 2006 and won the Super Bowl in Feb 2010. The Bills are likely to "struggle" for a couple years (but still probably win the division), and then they'll ascend to Super Bowl contention again.

7. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I vote no for Lamar. He's too expensive and too risky.

SOJAZ, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Josh is going into his 5th year and has a big contract. There are at least two teams in the AFC with just as good or better QBs. Though I like the Bills coach he is no Andy Reed. The Bills were the Superbowl favorite going into this season and lost badly to a better Bengals team. They would have beaten the Bengals if they won that KC game the year before. It does not get any easier and more than likely the Bills will not be as as good as they were the past two seasons.

They will contend and make the playoffs but unless they catch lightning in the bottle their near-term Superbowl hopes have decreased. We will see.

Brook! likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

Unless you're the Patriots with Brady and Belichick or the Chiefs with Mahomes and Reid, winning the Super Bowl is always catching lightning in a bottle no matter how good you are.

ouchy likes this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

But But? The Bills are further away from the Superbowl starting the 2023 season than they were starting the 2022 season. Are they good enough to make a run sure they are but the road has gotten tougher.

11. HomeoftheJets

That's true, but they'll still be very good in 2023, and in a couple years from now, they should be back on the upswing and get back to where they were in 2022.

12. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Unsure how accurate this is or if it even means anything but the Lamar Jackson situation is absolutely one we should keep an eye on.

If those contract negotiations break down he would jump to the top of my list of available QBs this offseason.

13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

His last 2 years haven't been great plus he's missed time in both of them. Considering the draft capital it would cost to get him and the salary he would command, I thinks it a very risky proposition.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I'd still take Carr over him for that very reason but he would jump Rodgers as my 2nd favorite option.

All of these guys are risky propositions for one reason or another, otherwise they wouldn't be available. If I'm giving up draft picks, might as well swing for the fences on a 26 year old who's already won an MVP.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Instead of overpaying for someone else's elite QB, I wish the Jets would invest that kind of money and effort into identifying their own elite prospect and then pouring everything they can into developing that guy. They'd come out ahead in the long run, but somehow they never take this approach. It's maddening.

16. Bills over Jets

I’m sorry but these are some of the dumbest points I’ve seen on here. “Josh is going into his 5th year and has a big contract.” As does all top 5 quarterbacks, what does this even mean? “There are at least two other afc teams with as good or better qbs” yes, welcome to the afc. It will be extremely difficult every year for burrow, Allen and mahomes because 2 of those guys are going to have to beat two of those 3 to get to the Super Bowl. It’s equally as difficult for burrow and mahomes yet for some reason Youve only eliminated Allen from contention. “They would have beaten the bengals if they beat the chiefs the year before.” I’m sorry….. WHAT? Lol. That makes absolutely no sense. The bills lost von Miller, Allen played with a torn ucl all year, lost Micah Hyde, tre white, and were not better than that loaded bengals team.

“more than likely the bills will not be as good as the past two years” what’s your basis for making that claim? The bills currently have one of the worst offensive lines in football, have no second option on offense after diggs, have no running game, no pass rush, and yet they won like 13 games. I would be willing to bet they fix a few of those issues this off-season, and I would be willing to bet Josh doesn’t tear his ucl nerve on his throwing arm next year, and Von Miller, Micah Hyde and tre white all aren’t out for most of the year.

It’s pretty absurd to opine (based on nothing factual) that the bills will never be as good as they’ve been and it’s all downhill from here.

17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree with that philosophy, I just wouldn’t let it deter me from getting a guy like Lamar if he becomes available.

Sadly the Jets MO is to draft a guy in the first round and just say, “good luck!”. Except with Zach, can’t really say they didn’t try with Zach. Just not sure he was ready to start from the jump.

18. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How did they "really try"? They threw him out there Day 1, expecting him to play in an offense that they didn't account for his strengths, and behind a mediocre OL which at times was borderline poor. His first season he didn't really have any reliable weapons around him, and then Saleh & Co allowed the whole "Mike F'n White" circus to happen.

I'm not saying he didn't/doesn't have his faults, but the Jets did not handle his development well so far.

20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Not saying it was perfect for Zach but they definitely invested premium draft assets in positions that, in theory, were designed to help him.

AVT, Elijah, GW, Breece, Ruckert, & Mitchell.

These guys have or have not panned out so far to varying degrees but you definitely can’t say they didn’t try to surround him with talent that immediately impacted him and his development.

Also, CD, Tevin Coleman, Keelan Cole, Conklin, Uzomah, Tomlinson, Brown have been the bulk of our big ticket FA acquisitions over the last 2 years. Again, these guys have or have not panned out to varying degrees but again, can’t say they didn’t try to surround him with an adequate supporting cast during his first 2 years.

Zach just wasn’t ready to start from day 1, so in that aspect they absolutely failed him but I don’t think this FO followed the same mindset as their predecessors when it came to drafting and developing a young QB.

SOJAZ likes this.