Jets draft WR Devin Smith in 2nd round

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 1, 2015.

1. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I think he's a great compliment to Marshall, Decker, Kerley, and Amaro. Give him time to develop his route tree and in the meantime, send him deep! That should open up more of the underneath stuff. Plus, he can be what Saunders was supposed to be in the return game. Welcome to the Jets Devin Smiff!

fansince'66 and Turbocharged23 like this.
  2. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

We can't take Collins.

I think his agent has said he wouldn't sign with any team that drafted him outside of round 3.

He's gonna sit out a year and reenter the '16 draft, reportedly.

3. al_toon_88

Smith's player profile reminds me of another OSU wideout, Tedd Ginn.

I remember the knock on Ginn coming out was all he did was run a 9 route on top of his elite return skills.

After so many years in the league, he pretty much remained the same guy with the same skillset.

Let's hope Smith an develop into a more formidable, complete receiver than Ginn.

4. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I think the issue with Ted Ginn was that he was a top 10 pick, so a lot more was expected of him. Devin Smith was a 2nd rounder, so he won't have as much pressure to live up to.

We have three 7th round picks. I'd draft him then. Worth a risk to see if he changes his mind and signs. Would be a steal.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Ginn had special team ability....someone like Ty Montgomery is who Ginn would be. Ginn played soft/uncoordinated at Ohio St and in Miami but he's so good at special teams that he keeps on getting himself jobs. Devin Smith is someone much better at pinpoint balls in the air.

fansince'66 likes this.
  6. al_toon_88

In round 7 Absolutely. I meant don't take him (Collins) in round 4.

But In the late rounds is where you want to pull the trigger on high risk with monster upside. Then if he refuses to sign or gets arrested, so be it.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I don't believe it, a receiver a lot of us actually wanted.

Thank You Based Macc God.

All Gas No Shake and fansince'66 like this.
  8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I really wanted Beckham....It would have been fun to compete with the Giants to see who the best "Beckham" was at WR in NY.But more seriously I think he is gonna be an impact player right away .....

9. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The low reception numbers scare me. he was a rotational/situational player and not a guy that the gameplan was built around. He's not a complete receiver, he's a role player. Thats fine but a 37 overall for a role player? idk man. fast receivers come and go through the nfl all the time. The reason I don't like this pick is I don't see how you can pick him over Tyler Lockett. Cuz Lockett is 2" shorter? Lockett is faster and a complete player who had three times as many receptions last year. He's about a sure thing as it gets after Cooper in this draft. If you just want a mysterious deep threat why not take Conley later? But screw it, if they think he has a chance to be DJax then go for it. I hope he turns into DJax and not Devery Henderson.

10. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

I totally agree, I'm a huge fan of Lockett. Would likely put Kerley out of his job year 1. Hopefully Devin can be our Kenny Stills.

11. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Djax is a streeeeeeettttch

12. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Receptions and Speed aren't everything. I believe it was "Scotty McKnight" who the Jets drafted a couple years ago who was Mark Sanchez's friend. He apparently had a gazillion catches and set a record and he turned out to be a scrub. I believe the Oakland Raiders' WR draft history this past decade (with the exception of Amari Cooper) is proof enough of why speed does not necessarily equal success.

The Jets didn't need a complete WR, they needed a deep threat and they got it.

13. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

That's exactly who Devin Smith reminds me of. Kenny Stills.

14. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Just look at it this way...
    This is the receiver who will replace any WR on the field who needs a breather... and starts off as your #4 and/or 6th option on the field.

That's pretty fukin good if you ask me..

fansince'66 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm just hopeful he won't be another Stephen Hill..

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The only comparisons the can be made between these two are off the field in the box score. They are completely different players.

fansince'66 likes this.
  17. Cman68

Good... I'm reading that this kid is a straight line runner that needs to learn routes. Wasn't Hill that kind of guy but w/o the hands and ball tracking? :)

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Hill was nowhere near as fast and couldn't catch a cold. I wouldn't consider Smith a straight line runner necessarily, that's just his strength. Also a game changer on ST.

fansince'66 likes this.
  19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's also good that the Jets will have 4 receivers with different techniques on the field. Offensive coordinators always want to exploit mismatches on game day and you can't do that if you have 4 clones running around. If the Jets see an opportunity to get over the top on an opposing defense, they've now got a tool in the toolbox for that situation.

Royal Tee and fansince'66 like this.
  20. Cman68

Well, considering the driftwood Geno's been working with since he got here, this kid has to be an upgrade. Keeping fingers crossed.