Jets draft WR Devin Smith in 2nd round

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, May 1, 2015.

1. McBayne

McBayne New Member

I'm a fan. Sure, he strikes me as a home run hitter and I don't know what expectations should be in terms of #s. Are we getting burner that can draw coverage Decker/Marshall? It appears so and I like it.

When some WRs are drafted it can be an investment in the QB' I like to think this an investment in our WRs

2. jetropolitan

jetropolitan New Member

For all the negative nancys here this is what PFF said before the draft

"
    The knock on Smith, and something we definitely found watching the tape, was that he was used so much as a downfield threat that we didn’t get a chance to see much of him on shorter routes. It’s hard to fault Ohio State for using him that way, though, because he’s one of the few wide receivers in this draft class who possesses the speed to simply blow the top off of a defense with pure speed alone.

It’s tough to see him making it out of the second round, because at a minimum he looks likely to be a deep threat in the NFL from Day 1, but if someone takes him in that second, develops his route tree a little more and makes him a better all-around player, we’ll be talking about him as one of the steals of the draft in years to come.

Signature Stat: His 754 yards on passes traveling 20 or more yards in the air lead all of the FBS in 2014."

(I can't post the link because of my post count, but for the article just google "pro football focus top WR sleepers".

I realize that this hardly means Smith is a sure thing, but I love the pick and think he can contribute from day one. He will add another dimension to our offense and will draw coverage off our other receivers who are not exactly burners.

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I have no problem with this pick.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

That is the big if, I've never been a fan of Urban Meyer WR's as he gets guys that fit his system but I'm not entirely sure that Meyer was the one who recruited him to OSU. My guess is not which isn't a bad thing. I like the potential and as most players it will come down to coaching, as it is now he'll be a good #4 behind Kerley and probably eventually be a #2. I think only the most impatient fans will expect him to be a #1. He strikes me as a #2 tops in terms of topping out which is always good if you have a #1.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Meh....not the best pick not the worst.Hopefully he proves to be better then the last peice of shit WR we drafted in round 2 Stephen Hill

6. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Np with the pick.

But 33 grabs in a full season (?) ain't a lot.

I hope he can be a good player for us.

The last speed freak (from Georgia Tech) with like 25 grabs for 20+ YPC we took didn't work out so well.

74 likes this.
  7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You people who come on here tonight and act as if you know if Smith or any other pick will be a good or bad pick are so full of shit. You know far less than the people making the picks and even for those people the draft is a crap shoot. So when you say some other receiver is clearly better than Smith, you just don't know what you're talking about. And when you compare Smith to another position player on the board you sound foolish. We'll find out in three or four years whether this was a good pick or not. Expressing an opinion is fine, but proclaiming your opinion to be fact makes you an ass. Take a look at past drafts and tell me if any of you knew one player would be better than another.

nycarl and Jetaho like this.
  8. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

but this one can actually catch, and doesn't have to be leaned on like Hill.

his technical prowess as far as making grabs is far beyond Hills body catching style.

fansince'66 likes this.
  9. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Yeah. On the bright side at least macc didn't trade up for him like t-Baum stupidly did for Hill.

It's all a crapshoot. Who knows, he could turn out to be a very good player.

10. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Might as well just shut down the board with your attitude.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm just curious to know where the BPA theory went because if that were the case then Devin Smith doesn't get drafted there.Doesn't matter much atleast we have a new deep threat

deerow84 likes this.
  12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Devin wasn't my highest rated receiver on the board at this point personally, but if you are going for character guys then he probably was the best pick at that point.
    That said, you know who Devin Smith reminds me of in terms of his play style currently? Wesley Walker. Not saying he'll be that of course, but watching his tape in college that's who he reminds me of and this kid really has the potential (key word potential) to be the best deep threat the Jets have had since Wesley.

He's got to up his game to the NFL level and receivers usually take a season or two to get their footing in the NFL, save a brave few, but he does give the Jets something they really don't have, someone to take the top off the defenses.

13. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

he won't have to play a lot this year relax. we have very good starters in place with decker and marshall kerley in the slot. and to the comparison someone made about hill..totally different player and also hill was not ready to play but was forced into the lineup without learning. Devin smith has that luxury

14. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

something you need to take into account with deep threats is pass interference calls

i was reading something on torrey smith about how he had over 150 yards in pass interference yards, which was by far the highest in the NFL. that's extremely important for deep threats and it doesn't come up in the stat sheet

Brook!, NCJetsfan and 1968jetsfan like this.
  15. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how teams have their boards set up. there were some guys who dropped from the first but a lot of those had character issues. If a team grades high on motor, effort, and character then a guy with character issues or a guy who takes plays off is going to drop on a teams board.
    Me? I'm willing to overlook character somewhat, but from having listed to Mac and Bowles talk it sounds a lot like they place a lot of emphasis on character and that's going to drop guys with character or effort issues down on their boards.

16. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

Thanks for this. I'm sick and tired of the overwhelming negativity of some posters on this board.

jetropolitan and hiker like this.
  17. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I've learned in my years on sports message boards that it doesn't matter what team or what sport, fans will always complain about certain draft picks. When they're right, they'll rub it in everyone's faces... of course never mentioning all of the times they were wrong. I've never seen a draft where people weren't pissed off about some pick. Many times, the picks that are hated the most end up being the best ones.

I don't claim to know anything about any of these players, so I just see who they draft, read what people have to say about the player and then wait until we actually see them really play in the Pros.

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know much about the guy, just watched a bunch of film on him (not highlights, film) and generally thought he was pretty good. Great hands (Stephen Hill comparisons don't make sense on that alone), good speed, I'd say average route running and poor blocking. Not convinced he was the BPA at that spot but, ultimately, I do think it was a good pick.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely thought that we needed to add speed at the WR and/or RB positions. Smith was one of the guys I said I would be very happy with, so I'm not unhappy that we took him in the 2nd round. That said, I don't see how he could have been the BPA at their pick in the 2nd round. I don't think he was even the best WR prospect available at that point. I can understand not even considering DGB, but I think a case could be made that Jaelen Strong and/or Tyler Lockett are better. Strong really doesn't have the deep speed, but Lockett does and he plays STs, and I'm not sure if Smith does. I just find that interesting for a GM who proclaimed that he would go BPA. I am happy however that a WR was taken rather than a defensive player. I would rather have had a LT prospect, just because I think it important to find Brick's replacement now, but maybe the Jets didn't like any of them (none are that good) or hope to nab Collins in a lower round.

I like the thought of a trade down in the 3rd, but like many others think it may have been a waste, even though I like Mauldin and that we got a young OLB prospect. We could have had Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson or David Johnson instead, and that may have been a better use of the 3rd pick, but I'm not gonna gripe. I did that enough about the 1st round pick. I just hope that Mauldin's heart and desire are enough to make him a quality asset at OLB. Maybe the Jets will get Ajayi, Collins or Clemmings later.

20. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I watch quite a bit of college ball and I am cautiously optimistic about this pick. Smith is a burner with amazing natural athletic talent that can't be taught. His route running is a little raw, but route running can be coached, having speed and hands cannot. Its been a while since we've had a pure speed guy that can blaze deep on a skinny post and clear it out underneath for Marshall, Decker, Amaro, and Kerley to make some plays.

Brook! and Walt White like this.