Jets @ Colts Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets n Boys, Jan 18, 2010.

1. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Colts trolls are here...

Indy must be running low on crystal meth

2. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Coach K at 7:33: "I can tell either your Peyton Manning fathead has become a temporary sperm bank for you or youve never seen the Jets play this year."

Coach K at 8:56: "I made fun of Manning when? are you sure you dont have me confused with a voice in your head?"

At what point do you: A) Become honest?; B) Spill some of that great football knowledge you're apparently sandbagging?

Since I just make obvious points and submit nothing of substance, please regale us with your wondrous insight on why the Jets are going to beat the Colts, or why they have any chance whatsoever.

3. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Ollie: "Colts trolls are here... Indy must be running low on crystal meth"

More football genius!

4. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

[​IMG]

If I give you some will you pick up your sister?

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I was making fun of you, not Peyton Manning. god damn you really are dumb.

well see I did this thing called make a point. except I did it in a few sentences.

I originally said in post 119

the only prediction I have for anything is just like I've said every week, its common sense for us to be the underdog, but when you play defense like us, show commitment to a respectable ground game, and limit turnovers. you can beat anyone on the other side of the football field.

if we win, its by no more than 7. if we lose by no more than 10. I know we can win as long as we do what I mentioned above, but we are underdogs for a reason. I do however think Indy fans have been spoiled this season and just expect everything to go their way. If they get a win from us it wont be easy I guarantee it.

what more is there to read into that?

6. peytonmanning18

peytonmanning18 New Member

Apparently the nation's supply of Kool-Aid ended up in New York. Obviously you guys have reason to be confident but I have never seen an opposing teams board be as overconfident against the Colts as yours.

7. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

My main point is that comparing the Ravens to the Jets does no good, or mostly the same amount of good, for your argument, as comparing the Chargers to the Colts does for my argument.

There's not really statistical analysis to be made here. Since you asked for numbers I gave them to you. The Colts beat a Ravens team that really did not play very well at all and beat itself quite a bit. You'll probably retaliate by saying the Jets beat the Chargers by the Chargers beating themselves, and in some facets you're right.

However, the Jets did hold the Chargers, who do have more weapons offensively than you (Care to dispute? I don't think Collie quite stacks up to Malcolm Floyd yet, but that's a different argument I suppose), to seven points in the first three and a half quarters, giving up 7 more, by Ryan's own admission, on purpose to kill the clock.

This is going to be a battle. What ticks me off is none of you have said this game will be close. It probably will. The Colts absolutely have an advantage... they're simply the better team on offense. The Chargers were also the better team last week, and look what happened. The Jets handled them. And they'll handle you too, at least well enough to keep it a nail biter till the end.

You've made points about your fast defense. Your fast defense won't help against this kind of team. Perhaps Greene won't break any plus 20's on you, but him and Greene should consistenly get 5 or 6 when our number one offensive line blasts your, to quote Coach Ryan "asses off the ball."

8. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

Remember Buddy Cinderella still wound up the prince..

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The confidence comes from the fact that the Jets just don't let teams score a lot of points through the air. You have to be able to run the ball effectively, and make that commitment throughout the game, to score much against this defense.

On offense we all recognize that the Jets will not score a lot of points in all likelihood, however that puts us in the kind of low scoring game that defensive teams tend to win over offensive teams.

All of that said there is no question the Colts are a better team than the Chargers and the real question is whether or not the Colt run defense can shut the Jets down. Open question there.

BTW, I'd be lying if I didn't say that Peyton Manning's star-crossed performances in the playoffs were not part of the viewpoint either. The Colts have lost games because Peyton didn't turn huge passing days into points and they've lost games because Peyton threw picks under pressure. As great as he is he has not been the same quality QB in the playoffs as he has been in the regular season, which makes sense given that the quality of the opposition rises dramatically in the playoffs.

#149 Br4d, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  10. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

As a Jets fan I sympathize; I'm terrified of this game. The Colts haven't lost THE ENTIRE SEASON when playing at full strength for 60 minutes. I'm just happy to be here, and I guess you never know what could happen.

I do think our style of play makes this game likely a 7 point game or less, and looking at the Colts season as a whole they don't really blow teams out so much as ensure a victory and move on.

11. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

My point about the Colts beating the Ravens versus what the Jets did in Indy was a comparison of the regular season games, not the games this weekend.

Collie had a full third more catches than Floyd, while Floyd had a higher YPC. I'd personally go with the guy who was targeted more, since I know he's moving the chains.

Listen, I'm not here to personally tick you off. I'm not saying any of this because I want to get under your skin; I don't know you or anyone else here. It's a prediction thread, and this is what I think. The Jets, by any measure, have had a really great season, and I don't take anything away from that.

But when I watched what I considered a woefully inept offense get blanked in the first half yesterday, and the team squeak by when the hosts provided ample opportunity, I'm less than intimidated.

Ryan can bloviate all he wants, but the Jets are one-dimensional, and if the Colts get up by a couple scores early, the running game will not save them.

How confident are you in Sanchez and the Jets if the score is 14-3 or 20-7 at the half?

#151 BelieveInBlue, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  12. Br4d

The Jets are not one dimensional - they are two dimensional: great defense, especially against the pass, great running game.

The Colts are more one dimensional than the Jets (as the Chargers were): great passing offense.

It'll be interesting to see which teams rigidity causes more problems. The Colts, BTW, were trying to put the Jets away early in week 16 so they could rest their starters. Nobody gives the Jets credit for avoiding that situation. The choice the Colts wanted to make was - rest starters after halftime and win game anyway. The choice they were given instead was rest starters and lose - and they took it.

13. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Not confident at all. But how confident are you it will come to that on this defense? If the score is a score or less at half time, we got ourselves a ball game.

14. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Time for bed sweetie!!!!

[​IMG]

15. damnboy19

damnboy19 New Member

My heart is saying 20-17 win for the jets but my mind says 28-7 colts.
    1. Peyton manning eats Rex Ryans defenses for lunch (even when Chris mcalister and reed were in their primes)
    2. The colts defense is just too fast. For veterans they can dissect it but it gives young qb's a very hard time a la Flacco.

16. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

First, you don't need to be argumentative for argument's sake. You know full well what I meant about being one-dimensional.

I guess you posted before I added the last line, but I can promise you I'd rather have a one-dimensional pass offense versus a one-dimensional run offense if my team was down one or two scores late in the game.

I give the Jets all the credit they want for how they played until the starters came out of the game. Granted, the only reason they were still in the game was because of an uncharacteristic STs mistake that resulted in a kickoff return TD, but credit nonetheless.

Thing is, we'd seen the Colts come from way behind several times, and from some amount of deficit in half their wins, and Manning directed a quick, clean TD drive in the first possession after the half. Owning a lead with 20 minutes left has every Colts fan confident victory would have been ours had the starters played the game out.

Ultimately, I don't think prior games that often foretell of what is to come. It's a barometer, sure, but not fool-proof.

What I do look at is the body of work from the season, and how well the teams played the week prior.

I feel good about where we are.

17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone here is overconfident. Quite the contrary. I think we all expect a tough, grind it out game. But, what irks us are people who think this game is a no contest win for the Colts and that there is no feasible way the Jets win. Which idiot said that? I forget. But, for some reason, this GREAT defense still gets no respect. I'm not guaranteeing the Jets will win, but with a defense this good, the game will never get out of hand.

I do think the Jets will have to score about 24 points to win...the Colts offense is scarier than the Chargers bc Peyton is slightly better than Rivers (slightly...Rivers is phenomenal and he made some amazing throws against the Jets! Some of those throws to VJax and Gates were simply incredible.)

I just think I've never seen a less feared amazing defense. But you can be rest assured, Peyton is not looking forward to playing the Jets again. Period.

18. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Agreed.

(plus extra characters, lets I upset the mod Gods)

19. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Are you old enough to be on the computer, especially this late?

I think I hear your momma calling.

20. Br4d

Well point 1 is clearly false given that Peyton had a terrible game against the Ravens in the playoffs in 2006 (when McAlister and Reed were still in their prime) he went 15 for 30 with 2 picks for a 37.9 QB rating in that game and the Colts won because they shut down the Ravens rushing attack.

All it takes is for him to do that on Sunday and the Jets win going away.

Point 2 may be accurate but whether or not that means anything again is based on whether or not the Colts can shut down the Jets run game on Sunday.