Jets Assistant GM Hogan out

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BleedJetsGreen1981, Jan 31, 2024.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

People speculate he's the leaker because of the timing of his dismissal. It is pretty coincidental

It doesn't matter to me if he is the leaker, isn't, if he liked Zach Wilson or not, I want them ALL fired so this is one step closer to that

mezzavo and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Hey just following up to reiterate Rex hogan is a career loser.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

According to Cimini Hogan was ousted weeks ago but he was strongly in favor of drafting Zach. So good riddance. Go and draft crummy players for some other team.

Cimini:
    Updated: The Jets and assistant GM Rex Hogan have mutually parted ways, a source confirmed. The departure occurred a few weeks ago, per sources. It didn't happen Wednesday, which should put to rest the speculation swirling on social media. Hogan was Joe Douglas' right-hand man, running the draft meetings since 2020. Hogan helped with the monster 2022 draft, but he also advocated for Zach Wilson in 2021 — which didn't turn out well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

This much dysfunction doesn't "sit" with one person. While I'm sure this fool stunk up the joint, there's a lot of other "rotten" fish that need to go. Let's all sit back, enjoy this ouster, and wait for the rest. Either now or 10 months from now this is inevitable. And I can't wait. The ONLY painful piece to this, that we can't fix, is Wood-rough will STILL be the owner and the ultimate clown in the car.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How naive I was!!! I thought the circus was finally gone from the Jets when Rex, Idzik, McCagnan,and Gase were fired, but I forgot the ringmaster Woody. As long as that assclown owns the team, it's always going to be a macabre circus.

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

When the guy making the final call on decisions is a complete buffoon and total idiot who knows less about football than this board does, things won’t get better.

As long as Woody is doing the hiring, he will continue to hire and support bad GMs and bad coaches. We are fighting an uphill battle, because the ONLY way this gets any better is if Woody by some miracle or accident hires a great GM who actually knows what he is doing and gets to run the whole show. That is an accident. That won’t happen on purpose…Woody has gong through too many GMs and HCs and they have all been pretty bad…we had a nice short run with Tanny and Rex but that soured. It wasn’t sustained. and it was the wrong approach for the game regardless with the defense mentality and by its own nature couldn’t be sustainable. But Woody can’t see that.

So whether he hires Korn Ferry or turns to the likes of washed up GMs like Charley fucking Casserly or whatever other method he can think of, we already KNOW how it will turn out. 99% chance it will suck.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

He has a chance to reverse that if he's more careful about who he works for.

8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, it's all his fault. This will fix the team.

I should have stopped being a fan the moment we hired Gase. That was just a monumentally stupid thing. Probably one of the worst hires in NFL history.

I hope Woody's ugly bitch wife leaves him.

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Well, we are on the same page on that. But given that Woody is not cleaning all house, to me the more of these guys are replaced the better. It may not yield in good results, but having Rex here certainly didn't help avoid bad ones for not one but two failing regimes. I am not upset at all he is gone. Are you?

Ralebird likes this.
  10. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Indeed.

SOJAZ likes this.
  11. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

You really have come to the dark side. Once the realization sets in the Woody has been the root of all of this, REALLY sets in, your transformation is complete.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, while agree that is not enough this has zero to do with the assistant over ruling the bosses decision. In fact, much to the contrary, Hogan sold the shit out of Wilson with data and JD accepted that. In any major organization that could happen. So firing his ass was absolutely the proper thing to do. He has been more miss than hit going back to the prior GM. Having said that, JD is ultimately on the hook but for a different reason, his staff selection leaves a lot to be desired. I see nothing wrong with him trusting the people responsible for the rankings, if of course you know how to select great evaluators and coaches, which apparently he didn’t do.

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

ouchy and Ralebird like this.
  14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD comes from scouting background - so I am 100% sure he evaluated the shit out of his 1st ever pick in Becton and #2 overall in Zach. Most likely all 1st and second rounders he personally evaluated to a very significant extent. So, definitely he is to blame for that. The buck stops with JD regardless.

But the point I was making is that Rex had a senior level position for two failing regimes. Even though he wasn't the top guy, he didn't help either regime succeed. Also if you look at later rounds where a GM is less likely to be involved personally and watch every minute of tape, we didn't really do well on offense. Rex has been fired on merit, and as @ColoradoContrails mentioned likely should not have been hired in the first place by JD.

#54 Borat, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  15. Ralebird

I think it's too soon to tell but a year or two from now, maybe ten, we may have some writer write the big expose of all the ineptitude created during the Woody Era. A couple of recent items appear to be hanging the "Scapegoat" chain around Hogan's neck to match the "Sauce" and "Woody" ones we have all seen too much of, but that doesn't mean we might not someday come to discover that Hogan was against almost every big move made by Douglas.

Imagine if Hogan was the voice of sanity in the organization.

#55 Ralebird, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Since1969 likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Cimini, who broke the news, is now reporting "Hogan, who developed scouting connections at BYU while working years ago as the director of football operations at the University of Utah, was known to be a strong advocate for Wilson during the draft process." https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39444764/new-york-jets-front-office-shakeup-puts-everyone-notice

You never know, but I suspect that even JD is not dumb enough to fire someone who as it turned out was giving him good advice. If anything he needs a guy like that now to listen to in order to keep his own job. Whatever the case may be, it's all on JD now. He is a former scout for nearly all of his career. Time to deliver results, there is no one else to blame.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. Ralebird

It appears that Douglas, who has been dumb enough to hire incompetents and keep incompetents, may also be dumb enough to fire the wrong guys. I suppose time will tell. Or more time will tell more. Is Woody listening to anyone other than the sycophants?

18. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Douglas knows he's out of a job in a 11 months time (maybe sooner if we start having another season like the last two in 2024), so it's a reasonable gamble to change course with who is advising him on personnel, considering he's been getting pretty poor results in that category, outside of that one draft.