Jets are picking 4th and 10th in the 2022 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Wilson to Wilson!

dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm very pro-Wilson. I'm not sure he'll be there at #10 though. I think he'll probably be the first receiver off the board unfortunately.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Ozymandias

Where do you see him going to? The teams ahead of us having bigger issues than receiver.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Say what? Try telling the Bengals about unrealistic expectations. In 2019 they were 2-14. Two years later (2021) they are division champs in a very competitive division. I do not think it is "totally out of line" to want Douglas to do better than his 2020 draft. IMO THIS is the offseason that Douglas needs to show his worth. Nobody is talking about firing him, just putting him on notice that his 6 wins over two plus seasons is unacceptable. The honeymoon is over.

5. REVISion

Not sure tbh. I just think at least one team will get Chase/Jefferson fever and take a WR in the top 10 and I think Wilson is most likely to be the first guy gone.

I think the move is for us to trade down from #4 into the teens if possible. Probably pretty likely we could pick London somewhere in the teens and get an extra 1st rounder from the trade down.

tomdeb likes this.
  6. REVISion

Correct. It doesn't take that long to rebuild in the NFL.

The only rebuilds that take a while are ones where the teams don't admit to themselves soon enough that the QB and/or coach they've selected aren't good enough. They give them an extra year or two because of the sunk cost fallacy so it looks like the rebuild is taking a while when it's really just a failed rebuild they can't admit has failed yet.

It takes 2-3 years at the most to turn a team around in the NFL. The entire league is designed to maximize parity. You can half turn a team around by chance in the NFL.

Look at the Rams with McVay. THAT is a truly good coach and he improved the team immensely immediately (despite having a mediocre QB no less). Saleh's not that guy and JD hired him so he's ultimately JD's fault.

7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'll say this for the jets--Nobody can ever accuse them of not giving undrafted WRs a chance at their first NFL reception. :)

BacktoQueens, Jonathan_Vilma and cval like this.
  8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with your first sentence, and a team needs that mindset from the start. When you prepare your team and your fans that we will be mediocre at best next year, you will be lucky to achieve that. Call it unrealistic if you'd like, I want a GM or a coach like Parcells who on day one was talking about winning championships (plural).

REVISion likes this.
  9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Well we all want a coach that turns out to be one of the best that lived.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ouchy likes this.
  10. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If it were up to me, I'd use one or more of those first round picks to trade back and grab as many of those Alabama and Georgia players slotted to go mid-to-late first round as I could ... Nakobe Dean, Jordan Davis, Travon Walker, Christian Harris.

Could you imagine how dominant Quinnen Williams could be with Jordan Davis lined up next to him? He'd be in the backfield every play.

Noam likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bad comparison. Take a look at the Bengals roster at: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/2019_roster.htm

Our roster didn't even begin to compare with theirs. As I said before the expectations are unrealistic. You, like others, have truly forgotten how bereft of talent our team was when JD took over, and that was after FA and the draft, so there was nothing he could do his first year. He was also stuck with Gase last year, so that year (2020) should be pretty much thrown out, and the counter starts with 2021.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its almost 7 pages and I haven't been able to respond to this thread. Its like the twilight zone. Trading down? Get a #1 WR?

The things I wanted most last year everyone wants this year. Except last year was the smart year to do it. Better WRs, a much more valuable trade piece, and the perfect time in our rebuild. Its kind of hard to trade down now when we need the studs. Our ass backwards rebuild continues. Don't be late to the party again. On our current course we need to go o-line, edge, and defense in general. If its all about developing Zach, a decent TE will do more than another WR. They're a developing QBs security blanket and a productive outlet in a pinch, usually requiring low volume throws. Its exactly what he needs.

I haven't seen all the prospects but this is what makes sense to me:

(Going with BPA)
    4: O-line / edge
    10: O-line / edge
    35: Corner / Safety
    38: TE / LB
    69: TE/LB/O-line/Corner/Saftey

tomdeb likes this.
  13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

This is my humble opinion:
    1) At 4 trade down and stockpile more high picks and create a bank account of them.
    2) If no trade down is available, I say screw it and take Tyler Lindbalm. If he is as good as advertised, I am taking him no question
    3) At 10 I am all in on Burk's. The guy is a monster wideout, someone that we dont have on this roster. He is 6'3" 225, has unreal playmaking ability, and can go up and get the damn ball. We have plenty of these smallish type wideout's, what we dont have is that D.K. Metcalf style.

BrooklynJetsFan and barfolomew like this.
  14. Ozymandias

Garrett Wilson will for sure be the top receiver taken now after Jameson Williams is confirmed to have torn his ACL.

15. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Where do we think Williams goes now? 2nd round?

16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

this!

rebuilds shouldn’t take five years anymore…the Bengals have been a poorly run organization…on par with us in that regard. And yet three years in, their HC won the division. But they hit on the QB and it was pretty clear right away…unlike our situation, where we’re not quite sure if Wilson will be the guy. I get plenty of people love him but to me it’s more hope than anything else…he was pretty damn awful for most of the season. There have been flashes, but we can’t be sure.

missing in Mims hurt because here we are needing receiver still. We don’t know what to expect from Becton…or Lawson. People thinking it’s a given that both Becton and Lawson will come back and shine are again relying on hope more than anything.

Borat, barfolomew, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like your picks at 4 and 10. After that, we got to find guys who can tackle. I think one of the jets biggest needs either in FA or draft is getting 2 LBs and a safety or two who can stop the run. Teams ran against the jets in 2021 like they did when we had Darron Lee as ILB. I agree with NC that CB is not that great of priority anymore, but, boy, do we need some tackling LBs and safeties.

ouchy and Jets79 like this.
  18. Ozymandias

No I think he'll still go in the first. Still a great talent, maybe mid to later in the round though.

19. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Honestly, We should go all defense and surround Wilson with more offensive free agents until he proves he can hang. If he had a Burrow type rookie year or something similar, I'd overdraft offensive weapons. But there's no way Wilson helps young offensive weapons develop – while he is still developing.

Build a young, fast defense with depth. The QB situation will sort itself. We have good weapons already in Moore, Davis, Berrios/Crowder. You can sign another FA wideout and a big money TE, and that's your offensive skill positions. We still have Becton, Fant and Moses at tackle. and few decent guards. We can draft a few depth OL and sign another G or T, and really Wilson should have zero problems year 2 showing he can do work.

The defense is the problem folks. We have nothing, and Zach isn't winning games with his arm next year.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Funny what happens when you pick up two blue chip draft prospects at QB and WR.
    The wins are the least of his troubles in a rebuild, I mean what do you actually want? 6 wins 7 or even 8 every single one of those wins just hinders a true rebuild. Take it on the chin and hope that 22 will produce as mucj draft talent as 21 has, also it has to be said again and again that surely Gase was involved in the 2020 draft process and then it is of absolutely no surprise at all that out of JDs two drafts that one is the worst one by a country mile.
    Yes, he has to knock this draft out of the park and above all else Wilson has to improve markedly next season and then we can move onto the 7,8 or 9 win progress season but I would still prefer to leap from 4 wins to play off contenders in one sweep even if that meant one more low win season, as long as there was obvious signs of improvement and that we were actually in contention in the games.

NCJetsfan likes this.