Jets announce Bowles and Maccagnan will be back.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 1, 2017.

1. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

I would say Bowels is on the hot seat this year, and if the team doesn't have a winning record to end 2017 he will probably be a goner.

Can't get rid of the GM yet though. They need to give him more than a few years and see if he can turn the roster around because it's a mess in a few areas.

We can't be cycling through GMs every 2-3 years.

2. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

That's a great pic man. Little guy is sitting there "I see you bitch *points at eyes and back at you*"

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What is the likelihood this team can go from 5 to 9 wins next year?

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It's NC Lurking during the 2017 football season, he won't leave the jets. I may not go crazy and follow them if their bad, but I won't stop being a fan.

I can understand some fans not investing as much time or energy on the team but if the Browns can keep their fans with how bad they have been, Jets fans should not be too quick to leave them for good.

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

So in summary, the OP was full of it stating that "Jets announce ..."

There are a couple of opinion pieces and speculations from various joints. But Jets didn't really announce anything.

6. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

The problem with the Jets fan base is that it's mostly fickle/ Like most hub cities there are multiple teams in every sport. One team stinks you go see the other one and vice versa. The Jets haven't had the star power or sustained success to build an out of region fan base either.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Its a day later and the thought of Bowels and company on the sidelines again next year sickens me ! might as well call a timeout on this thread right here and now and just fast forward to next November !

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

Not Likely. Next year should be a true rebuild year. It's what this year was supposed to be but we went 10-6 last year so there was pressure to stay in "win-now" mode even though we don't have a roster geared to do so. Clean house...get rid of all the locker room cancers, and focus on 2018. It'll be frustrating next year, but I think we have a solid group of young guys who have shown alot of potential.

Surprised so many people are sooo anti-Bowles right now. Obviously it's impossible to be sold on him as a coach, but think of what it would have looked like if we bounced him a year after finishing 10-6? No serious HC/GM candidate would come to a team where their job security is shaky off the bat and we have no QB. There shouldn't be a specific W/L record Bowles should have next year to keep his job because it's just not realistic to expect playoffs. If we show improvement and these stupid locker room riffs stop, that should be enough.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

While I think Bowles is one of the worst Head Coaches I've ever seen I've come to the realization that since next year will be a bust with no playoff as the team re-stocks via the 2017 FA and draft, the 2018 F and draft why bring in a top coach for a bad team? Let toilet Bowles coach this sorry ass team next year then fire his ass after next season. The 2018 head coach will have a better and younger team to mold.

10. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

*alarm clock hits 6:00am*

"..Then put your little hand in mine...."

*smashes clock with hammer*

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Agree with everything here except the first two sentences. I think it's very likely if they can figure out the QB problem. Yes, the defense had some lapses this year but I still think it's a defense good enough to win with. There are pieces of the offense that have shown strength like Powell and Enunwa. Pieces that have shown promise like J. Marshall, Peake, and Anderson. With Decker and Smith returning, the receiver corps could be solid with the right QB. B. Marshall needs to go. He seems to be a destabilizing presence. Even the offensive line played well in yesterday's game, so there's some promise there. I think there's enough talent on this team to win, it just needs to be tweaked and provided with the right leadership.

12. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

On the bright side, given the number of open head coach seats this year the Jets would have been scrambling to find a quality guy. So maybe you see if Bowles can mature into the position.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  13. jsyankees12

jsyankees12 Member

There's some promising young talent on this team for sure, but I think most of the vets are gunna be gone. On the defensive side of the ball Revis, Gilchrist, Sheldy and maybe even Harris are most likely gone and on offense I'd bet Mangold, Clady and Marshall are gunna be sent packing...not to mention the question mark at QB. That's a lot of turnover on both sides of the ball. Some of the young pieces have shown promise, but guys like Pryor and Mauldin seriously regressed this year. Best case scenario is all the guys that have shown promise develop, but in reality it could be a mixed bag. We don't have enough talent to warrant throwing alot of money at a guy like Romo. Maybe we get Tyrod and then who knows. I'm optimistic in the rebuild process, not so much in our odds for being a winning team next season

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I cannot believe that each day another player is quoted on record that the locker room was fucked up,,,,,,go read Quinceys Enuwas remarks,,,,,,,,,you mean to tell me besides the fact that Bowels in game sucks that the locker room is a train wreck and some guys say since the KC game which was week freaking 3 and people want this ass clown Bowels back ? I don't expect Bowels to come out and say all is hunky dory and there were zero problems but a good coach keeps them in house and more importantly TAKES CARE OF ANY PROBLEMS and ends any such problems and makes sure guys don't go public with them ! I Can you imagine any of these public comments if we had a real coach ?
    Great bring back Bowels , yeah thats the ticket

15. westiedog1

I don't think Romo will cost that much. He's in the same position as Fitz was last year, not many options for him if he wants to play. He's made his big bucks already. I figure they can work out a contract that's cap friendly and performance based.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The head coach cannot manage the locker room when the vets are fighting the way the Jets vets were fighting this year. He can't manage the locker room when his best players and the core of the team's talent are all falling down on the job or injured.

The closest thing that the Jets had to a locker room leader this year was Leo Williams in his second year and there's no way he could keep things under control when all the egos, personalities and shrinking violets who just want to do their own thing were pulling the other way.

It's embarrassing for the Jets that their highest paid player was invisible both on the field and in the locker room this year. When you stink on the field you can't lead by example and you damn well better have a Plan B to make you part of the backbone of the team.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Unlikely. And the staff is now in position where they need to do everything in their power to do so. So I can see us signing some more stopgap aging veterans or keeping the bums we have on the roster in the Revis and Marshall's of the team in place of getting younger.

2017 is going to be a gigantic waste of a season with little development of younger players and Mac/Bowles clawing their way to a 7-9 record with much of the same we saw this year.

Just another exercise in futility. We're keeping the staff around for the sake of keeping a regime intact, not because they deserve to be here.

Red Menace and JetBlue like this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I've read and heard things that Jerry Jones thinks of Romo like a son. If that's the case, there's no way he trades Romo to a disastrous situation like ours, even if it's not the best football business decision.

The Broncos is a dream scenario for a Tony Romo type of player. It's too perfect to not work out for both sides.

PickSix likes this.
  19. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  20. westiedog1

I'm not concerned. Having listened to analysts discussing the Jet situation all season, the one thing that seems to be a common thread no matter who is coaching is when a team is losing, the the locker room can get disfunctional. Conversely, when a team is winning, the locker room is solid and unified. Therefore, if the Jets concentrate on putting a winning team on the field, the locker room should take care of itself.

FJF likes this.