Jets acquire Percy Harvin!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Damn played Madden yesterday with Vick and Harvin lol wasn't even fair ... I hope this deal works out like when the Vikings acquired Cris Carter

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. The article mostly beats up on Seattle, the reigning SB champs, and only briefly posts how its a "win" for the Jets though. Choosing to mostly talk about how low risk it is and how they can cut him after the season if it doesn't work out. I suppose thats a "win" but that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the trade.

It is true that Seattle didn't use him right in their offense. I hope the Jets do but we'll see.

I'm glad they made the move because I want to see my favorite team get talented players and Harvin is a talented WR. This team hasn't had a player that can spread the defense out based on his playmaking ability in a long, long time. Harvin could be that guy if they use him right and his head is in the right place. This is a move that could end up being a great one, but we will see.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

BN

Percy Harvin is my fantasy WR's. I watched Seattle games very very closely. Believe me they didn't utilize him cleverly. Seattle under utilized Percy severely. One game, they gave him the ball, he scored 3 TD but all of these TD's got cancelled due to penalties that didn't have a direct impact to the TD's Harvin scored.

I know it is a big if but IF he stays healthy this year and we game plan on him, he will light up the opponents.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Saying you got a call from or reached out to SEA is not breaking down anything. Idzik has his right to be tight lipped about it as he is about everything else but that doesn't mean every GM does that. I'm not questioning how handled questions just wondering aloud as a fan why he would not disclose such a small piece of information. I don't really care when talks started to be honest just wanted to point out Idzik's statement didn't definitively say that talks started last week as the poster was trying to suggest.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Marty would have to be an absolute moron to blow it as badly as Seattle did with Harvin. He fits the WCO like a glove and our QB had his best year in college with a guy in Tavon Austin who shares a lot of similar traits with Harvin. Bubble screens, slants, then send him up the seam. He's got the speed to burn his man before or after the catch.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well, we'll get to see the debut on Sunday. Hopefully the OLine won't sleep in and miss the game.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

I'm hoping that no one is putting all their eggs in this Sunday's basket... it's not like you can learn the WCO overnight. I bet he won't even see 75% of the snaps.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He can't do any worse than Nelson or Sudfield can he..?

#1108 Cman68, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  9. BrowningNagle

Did you watch him at all when he played in Minnesota? I only briefly remember and it seems they were more creative than Seattle. Did they ever send him deep or was he most used for his ability after the catch with screens and slants. I am hoping for a deep threat with him but maybe I am hoping wrong.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Bevell is a WCO coordinator that Harvin worked with in Minnesota and Seattle. I think he probably comes into this being able to "speak the language" at the very least.

Every coach has their own playbook and there will be a learning curve but I doubt the WCO is an issue for Harvin.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I did.

He was my fantasy player in Minnesota as well. :)

He would score left and right when healthy hence Hawks gave up 1st 3rd and 7th. He is really something special. Hopefully we will see.

But back to his season at Seahawks. He wasn't their #1 choice. Certain games he only touched the ball 3 or 4 times. Crazy as it sounds but I thought there was a problem there and apparently there was and he ended up with Jets.

12. BrowningNagle

He should've been a Jet all along. In retrospect, Tannenbaum should've stayed put in 2009 and took him with the 17th selection instead of trading up for Sanchez... he might still be employed today. In Rex's book that was the plan the night before the draft if they couldn't get a deal with Cleveland. Funny how things work out... (uh oh I just opened a can of worms)

13. BroadwayAaron

Your wording is better than mine. I should have said the playbook, not the WCO.

On that note:

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Harvin asked if his deployment in Seattle was a source of frustration: "It definitely was. ... I wanted to get downfield a little bit more."

14. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

And even if he handled it the wrong way, it looks like he had a legitimate gripe. From the article you linked a page ago:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-percy-harvin-saga-how-seattle-lost-and-the-jets-won/

15. BrowningNagle

Seattle has a lot of weapons and as such didn't have to force feed Harvin... they had more than an efficient offense already to worry about getting creative with Harvin.

I'm guessing the trade had more to do with money than what they will lead on in Seattle too. They traded for Harvin to get over the top and when they saw they could get over the top just as fine without him, they didn't want his contract after all. They have a lot of core guys they will need to spend big money on in coming years. Trading Harvin will help them do it.

Just my opinion. But I bet the whole "not a right fit" and off-field stuff that is coming out wouldn't be coming out if they didn't have to get out of his contract. He might be a pain in the ass but if they needed him to win and/or didn't have to worry about his contract they would've gotten past that just fine. As is, they would've looked bad if they traded him citing the financials a little over a year after acquiring him. So I don't think it's a coincidence that all this off-field stuff comes out conveniently in the media while they take the high-road, wish him well and vaguely say he wasn't the right fit.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i hope you are correct, as it can be a complex offense to learn.....especially mid season.
    i'm hoping he can make an impact somewhat soon, which will depend on how quickly he can get over that learning curve.

That said, of course we will line him up in the backfield at times, and use him returning kicks (hopefully punts)..
    Where do you guys see him at receiver? Can he play flanker, and line out wide? or more of slot guy? i guess it doesn't matter as long as he can stretch the field vertically and horizontally.
    It would be great if we can get Harvin, Decker, and Kerley all out on the field together. While Kerley can play the flanker, i think he is much more effective in the slot.

17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Harvin hasn't returned a punt in his NFL career, so I think we can be pretty confident that's not happening.

18. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

.....and be on eastern

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Worst case scenario Geno can tell him where to lineup and what route to run. I doubt we're going many route adjustments at the los right now.

20. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i also think this trade shows that john idzik is 100% not getting fired after the season