Jets acquire Percy Harvin!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJFan10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

once again, was he even AVAILABLE then?

the only line about his availability out there is that he was silently on the trading block for the last couple of weeks.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

you make the trade when the value of the trade is good for you. you sign FAs to multi years when the value is good, not just when you have gthe money. makes some sense to me. considering I have not even seen this guy play this year.

3. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

Plus he has a concussion history. The move doesn't really effect us cap wise in '14 or '15, but I'm more worried about how we utilize him - hopefully better than his predecessors - and the picks we so desperately need (esp 2-3rds)

4. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

At his best Harvin is more dynamic and more explosive than Sanders, and brings more elements to the offense. The lack of guarantees is huge.

5. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give the Seahawks too much credit. This could benefit us. Their history of drafting WRs, esp drafting unproductive or tiny WRs in the draft (RIchardson and Norwood) is not something to brag about.

6. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Baldwin would be a 1k receiver? ill believe that when I see it

7. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

$6 million rental at worst is just pissing away cap money and a draft pick for next year so that just makes Idzik look like a dope.

He basically forced his own hand and will have to keep him. If he is really good he get Harvin on the cheap with incentives based on his injury history. To spend $10 mill on a guy to catch 30 balls is just a waste.

We didn't pay that much for brad smith or Leon Washington to do the same thing.

Matty Jets likes this.
  8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i'm not shitting on the trade. i actually like it.

just wish Idzik did more up front, as we'd be in a much better position right now.
    fwiw, Sanders has been more consistent throughout his career, and is quite explosive. Even if arguably a slight step down from Harvin, he cost less in compensation and draft picks. Should have been pursued this offseason..

9. mikey

mikey Active Member

Hindsight is 20/20, but we got Harvin. This actually made my weekend.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

A lot is being talked about Harvin himself, but what about how he affects every other piece of the offense. If you put Harvin in motion then run Ivory to the opposite side, there isn't going to be a LB or safety there waiting for him. If you line him up in the slot, you can't double Decker. And then you have Amaro, who can already get open.

No matter how you look at it, this trade is extremely high reward with almost no risk. We can cut him and owe him $0 next year or if he pans out, we can keep him and still have more cap space than almost any other team in the league

Brook! and NYJalltheway like this.
  11. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

It would have made my weekend if we won last night. I don't know what to think anymore.

tiger8mush and mikey like this.
  12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Let's not over analyze this. We just got an impact player. Let's celebrate and next time beat the shit out of Brady. No negativity please. I don't want to hear about cornerbacks or any other complaints.

tiger8mush likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Playmaker?

We'll see...

14. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

little has been discuss there about his impact not he field, your right, he's another big threat for defenses to worry about, and that opens up a lot of options.

I'm curious as to how MM plans on using him. the best thing that could happen is that he's a major contributing piece by years end.

15. mikey

mikey Active Member

True, but we've been competitive most of the season with barely any offensive weapons. Will be an interesting 9 games coming up.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

What's funny is people who are bitching about Harvin's contract are the same people bitching that we should have paid DRC. Are you kidding? At least Harvin can be cut next year with 0 penalty.

tiger8mush likes this.
  17. MaximusD163

With an important draft in the in Idzik's tenure approaching, it didn't really make sense to give a long term deal to Sanders or Djax in my opinion. With long term money to Decker and another WR, what if the best player available for us by far was a WR? He'd be buried on the depth chart, or a big money FA would be. Obviously things didn't work out that way, but I was against getting Sanders even this past offseason. I was all for getting Maclin on a 1 year prove it deal though, he just wanted to be in Philly.

Bellows1 likes this.
  18. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

No doubt, but goddamn we'd be in SUCH a better position with a win last night.

mikey likes this.
  19. MaximusD163

Just don't expect too much right away. He's going to have to learn the playbook, plus develop timing with Geno. That will take some time. The good news is we can put him at KR right away.

20. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

The penalty would be nearly $7 million in the rollover money for next year and draft pick for some headlines .

Plus who thinks Geno can actually get him the ball?