JDs Tenure Up Until This Point - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dawinner127, Sep 27, 2023.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i really can't repeat myself with this nonsense. if you don't know why he's on the team then go do your research before making things up

2. GasedAndConfused

the idea he is good on his feet is because of a few highlights. the reality is, he isn't. I don't remember the actual number but it was somewhere around 60% of the times he was sacked was because he tried to scramble for no reason when he had open WRs to throw to. he's broken a few big runs but other then that he's just awful in every facet of the game.

barfolomew and TheAustrian like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

carter II is the top Ni back in the NFL and he's also a starter as Ni package is base in the NFL. we start 2 LBers and 3 CBs every game.
    becton isn't a bust talent wise. he had a freak injury and took forever to recover. had GVR not sucked and rolled up on him, we may be talking about how he is a pro bowl LT now. can't blame JD for that

barfolomew likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jets OG fan likes this.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to infer that Carter II was trash like Zach is. Probably should of read as 8 starters - 7 picked in round 1 or 2 + Carter II from the 5th (who's probably JD's best pick) although of those 8, the QB and LT aren't getting extended.

#125 Gremlin, Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    GasedAndConfused likes this.
  6. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Completely disagree, I’m sorry. Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t give a flying shit if we cut Zach immediately. It was the best thing for Zach. He had 2 years on his contract and Rodgers committed for at least 2 years. You don’t develop a guy into Free Agency, ever. Even if Zach’s “practice” looked good for those 2 years you have no idea what you’re gonna see on the field and you’ll be paying him market competitive price to keep him and see. Letting Zach go once Rodgers signed gives Zach the opportunity for a fresh start, which he needed badly, and the Jets an opportunity to find the best possible backup. It was a monumental failure by JD and while I won’t say it should cost JD’s job it sure is close.

Ralebird and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I think he's built a very solid roster. It's a low bar and maybe it's letting him off easy, but this is the best roster this team has had in 10+ years by far in terms of talent and depth. And it's not a flash-in-the-pan like 2015 was where aging stars and free agent signings were the backbone. The team has a lot of young, core talent.

I expected more from the offensive line. It's not for lack of trying and devoting resources though as his been the issue in the past. I feel he's done that and there are some decent starters and solid depth finally. But he had some big misses with Tomlinson and Duane Brown. Mekhi hopefully is on his way to establishing himself as a legitimate OT, but did he make the right choice in that draft? I'm hopeful this OL will continue to perform better as the year goes on. Getting McGovern for 1mil was an absolute steal this offseason and Tippman already looks solid as an OG. AVT was costly but he's a high end starter wherever he plays and that degree of versatility is rare so he's been worth it IMO.
    He's missed on some big picks - all GMs do though so I need to be realistic.

Obviously the biggest problem is the epic whiff at QB. ZW looks like one of the worst top picks at QB ever right now. And that's bad. But swings and misses at QB aren't uncommon. How he was handed the job as a rookie was absurd given his college career - this wasn't Joe Burrow entering the NFL. Should have had a legitimate veteran ahead of him that he needed to earn the job from.

But possibly my biggest gripe with him out of everything is having a win-now team and not insuring the Aaron Rodgers acquisition with a legitimate backup QB. After all that transpired last year and how Zach needed a reset, he was a catastrophic injury away from playing. If they wanted to redshirt the guy, he had to be QB3. He's not even a good backup option. Yet he was handed the backup job. He's barely had to earn anything here. So here we are again with a win-now roster and a QB who should not be playing as the "unquestioned" starter. That's really bad for the team and it's not even good for Zach. It has the potential to derail everything. They made the wrong choice at QB and then they've continued to handle the situation poorly. Some bad luck for sure (i.e. Gregg Knapp dying and the Rodgers injury), but worse planning. JD and Saleh are like the anti-Belichick, holding on to players and hope way too long. I sure hope they can finally cut bait and draft another QB, learning from the lessons of the past this time.

8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Didn't he also let Teddy Bridgewater go and kept McCown? Teddy would be exciting to have on this team right now.

papapump and Cman68 like this.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Think that was Mac as he traded Teddy and a 6th for the Saints 3rd Rounder in the 2019 (Q Williams) draft.

Pick ended up being #93 which we then traded up to #92 at the cost of our 7th Rounder.

We ended up with Chuma Edoga for 3 seasons before JD waived him.

barfolomew and James Hasty like this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It's a results business, so the verdict on his tenure would have to be that he has done a bad job. It's all well and good pointing to the good players he has brought in, and there are many, but he has struck out spectacularly at the two most important parts of the team - quarterback and offensive line. He has tried to improve both areas, with draft picks, free agents and trades etc, but they are both still weak areas of the team after four drafts and three free-agency periods. That is a fail.

Now, if you want to be generous and look at the promising players he has brought in, then his grade could be elevated to average. Maybe. He will probably get another season to see how this team does with Rodgers, but he is unbelievably lucky to still be in his job after the results his teams have produced.

Ralebird, Losmeister and papapump like this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

you can't disagree with facts. it doesn't work like that lol. and yes teams do that all the time. it's called a "prove it contract"

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If the Jets wanted to try to insert Wilson into the lineup as the starting quarterback two years later then the organization is even more delusional than I thought.

The Jets were paying Wilson whether he was on/off the roster hence why they kept him. Rodgers dictated a bunch of stuff as far as the organization and the roster.

I don’t really care what he said I can’t imagine he gave two shits if Wilson was on the roster or not. Research boy will say otherwise but I agree with you.

#132 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 29, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    Ralebird likes this.
  13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

14. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

I really didn’t like the fact that JD got schooled in the AR deal. However he had brought in some top notch talent through the draft.

Sadly he has really failed in regards to the offensive line. The biggest issue that I have with JD is he had absolutely no plan B in case of AR getting injured. He basically threw away the season with his failure to do his job.

Borat likes this.
  15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Every GM misses on draft picks and even free agent signings, but generally i think JD has done a fine job. There's one exception and that is not getting a true backup QB during this offseason and relying on ZW as the backup. That was a huge mistake.

16. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

A prove it contract consists of actually having time to prove it. Zach would not have any time to prove it unless Aaron got hurt. They knew going into this season that Zach was not capable of starting. They saw him all last year and got Rodgers to replace him. The only way Zach would ever have a chance to prove anything is to be thrust back into what he wasn’t ready for, and here we are. The correct move once you’ve given up on Zach as a starter and signed a replacement to be here for the entirety of Zach’s tenure here is to cut him and replace him with a guy you know can step in immediate if Rodgers gets hurt. Rodgers is 39 and our OL was at best questionable coming into the season. Any dolt with half a brain would know there’s a good likelihood that we’ll need our backup at least for a couple games. There is zero good football reasons to have kept Zach. Zero. What would you do in 2 years if you thought his practicing looks good? You gonna sign him to a contract for 3 years and sign a veteran the caliber of Trubisky in case he’s a disaster again? Seriously this is stupid talk. Cutting Zach was the only solution the day we signed Rodgers. Rodgers wasn’t mandating we keep Zach, come on with that nonsense. The only reason Zach is on this team is because JD is either too incompetent to have encountered the common sense thought in his brain that your backup very likely will need to play at some point during the season, or he stubbornly refuses to admit his god awful mistake of drafting him.

SackRecord99, dmw and papapump like this.
  17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

At the end of the day... there's only one thing that matters... and that's the W/L record.

Everything else is "what ifs" & excuses.

Ralebird, REVISion and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

listen, i'm not saying you are wrong as far as the idea being dumb in a sense. I'm just saying we all know why zach is still here. a combination of what rodgers wanted plus his contract meaning we are paying him regardless. The reality is if any team with a top QB lost their starter for the year, they would also be screwed. thats life in the NFL. very few teams can survive losing their elite QB. we were enticing rodgers to come here. we wanted him to be happy. we went out and got his OC for him he liked. we went and got his WR buddies in lazard and cobb. we signed his golf buddy to be our 3rd string QB. he wanted to work with zach. they are friends. he wanted to mentor him. why not give that in? the guy left like 25 million on the table for us over the next 2 years so we can add talent. he's gearing up for a SB run. even with zach sucking, we aren't winning a SB without rodgers period. even if we had a decent backup. even a top tier backup like winston or minshew or dalton isn't taking us to a SB so whats the difference. all it means is a worse pick in the next draft. maybe maybe sneak into the playoffs and be 1 and done. yes this season will suck once again and yes the offense is awful but having a better backup then zach isn't changing the fact we aren't really contenders anyway.

as far as proving it, it doesn't have to be in game. the coaches see these players pretty much every day on the field and in the film room and meetings etc. all year round. we see them for 1 hour of game time once a week for 17 weeks.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Please show me where Rodgers said he wants Zach to be here as part of his agreement to sign here. You are the only one making that assumption. If we told Rodgers we are explicitly cutting Zach to sign a competent QB as a backup and letting Zach get a fresh start elsewhere since he’s not playing again here for 2 years unless Rodgers got hurt, there zero chance Rodgers suddenly doesn’t sign. The reason, the only reason, that Zach is still on this roster is JD’s unwillingness to let go of his awful mistake.

JohnnyJet and SackRecord99 like this.
  20. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Good call that was mac.