Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I hear you C...again ...this setup is a problem if you want snow but it happens. If my memory serves me correctly, the last one was very frustrating..like threading a needle to get the cold and precip on the same page. It just never merged.
    Long bouts of mid 40s to low 50s. For snow-haters..its the ultimate winter. Truly have no idea if thats the case...but EL Nino..strong ones..produce heavy rains and snows for California and mild winters here. Lets see as we get closer.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Ok so I go on the aol home page and I am greeted with "el Nino " blah blah blah,,,,,,lotta rain and snow for Cali and possible record breaking storms for us here in the east,,,all about timing and Yada yada ,,,believe it when I see it

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm wondering about the polar vortex. Is El Nino going to cut it off at the pass and keep all that frigid air trapped up north? All it takes is a week long visit by the vortex and whatever precipitation we have in that timeframe will turn to snow and ice for us.

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

From what I understand the polar vortex is just another way of saying a very southern jet stream. With the El Nino effect this year the jetstream will be north of NYC so no polar vortex to pump arctic air

Br4d likes this.
  5. Br4d

I believe the vortex is primarily related to the northern hemisphere fall and winter temperatures at the arctic circle. It's like it's own little jetstream that stays contained in the arctic in an anti-cyclonic whirl all winter. The question is what happens when we have a leaky polar circulation system with an El Nino? I guess it's possible that polar temperatures will be higher than normal but the temperatures south of them will be higher than normal also and somehow the polar vortex will stay in it's normal playspace even though it's warmer up there than it should be.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Jay, need some historical information. Planning a cruise to Grand Bahama Island next year. I need to know when's the best time to go from a weather perspective. I was looking at June specifically.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The forecast: Hot with PM T-storms......

Burnz likes this.
  8. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Sounds like where i live in florida. Ya in the Tropics I think it rains every afternoon

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

snowflakes this morning. pretty cool

CBG likes this.
  10. Br4d

Hurrican Patricia? Got anything for us Jay? The Weather Channel is hyping it as a superstorm that is scarier than Katrina and Sandy.

Looks like a Mexican affair with few effects for us?

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

It's the biggest storm ever recorded.

Puts Andrew to shame that destroyed us down here in Miami as a category 5

12. Br4d

Is there any precedent for a storm passing over Mexico and maintaining hurricane force winds in the Caribbean? The director of CONAGUA, the Mexican water authority said something about the storm potentially passing through the Sierra Madre and emerging as a Caribbean hurricane.

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Guy I work with is supposed to leave in tha morning for a cruise out of Baltimore headed to Mexico ,,,,,ugh

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Poured last nite and still raining now but at least it's warm out,,,,,,it's in the upper 60 s right now,,,,,,,,,but I will buoy the warm weather while it's here because I know the cold stuff is coming !

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are waiting for the first snow like a kid waiting for Christmas right? :)

CBG likes this.
  16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Brook ,,,,,I am indeed ! ,,that said I am working outside and not looking forward to freezing my ass off !

Brook! likes this.
  17. GordonGecko

18. GordonGecko

This is a really interesting map, we had a sub arctic winter last year and the global warming deniers will point to that, but check it out we were really the exception to the entire planet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Got a note from Epsteins mother,,,car 54 where are you ? Routine 9 if u know what I mean

20. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

You kids do great without me! Hey cbg did you text me? New phone and lost contacts. Area code 845?? Anyway...I'm here checking in. Crazy work schedule although I was told no no. Will be checking in. Gt fjf and the rest. You guys are great.