Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

It really depends Drew..first off is that storm totals..are through Thursday..because the back end snows will add to this.

Again, this will not be the typical dump and run...but a long drawn out battle. I do believe when the final numbers are over a bit higher than that...but that might not help with school closings.

What you need is all hell to break lose tonite..and dont count that out.

2. jaywayne12

As the next few days an inverted trough or norlun trough is going to set up..you can google it because it would take 2 pages to explain..basically a rise in warm air from the center of the storm rising northwest off the center. Very important...because you wll be hearing hat word a lot over the next 2 days.

Bottom line is every model that spits out precip totals has half and half..meaning NYC gets 4 inches from the coastal and 4 inches from the trough.

Will explain more but thats whats going to setup thursday and friday in record numbers for some

3. jaywayne12

Well hell..it sure is hell is getting real windy by me. Does that count?

OK...the weather geeks are going crazy down south. What a bust!! weather guys suck!!! LOL...and then you have others rubbing salt in the wound saying...I have 13"!!!

Pretty soon they are all going to break out their pencils and someones going to get hurt.

See, thats why I would never commit to a blog. Who needs that...All I have to do is come on here and say guys...aint happening..and then run and hide the the NY Knick thread.

Still think it will over perform in nj..and cman...keep us updated.

4. jaywayne12

radar shows the precip trying to move north..but except for light stuff, do not expect any real action until tonite....which will mean less rain and more snow and more sticking once the sun goes down.

Again, they are calling for 2-4 in my area of north jersey and by friday..i expect to at least double those numbers. Not your typical strong storm..there will be lapses. There will periods of sleet...heavy snow..wind...and the timing again is wait and see.

5. jaywayne12

Great link here..watch the circle to the left dissappear and then reappear to the coast..a transfer of power.

Wouldnt surprise me if CMAN gets a let up..and then it picks back up big time for a bit.

Also you can see the struggle to get north..real fight..and there lies the key to timing and how much gets by. Great link:http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/archiveviewer.php?sector=16&parm=pmsl

6. jaywayne12

wow..the winds really picking up here.

Great news is this weekend..just checked...mid 50's with sun.

7. jaywayne12

and then there is one model I just saw that changes cman over to rain before it ends this afternoon....hmmm..hope not.

8. jaywayne12

While many will receive more snow tomorrow night with back end snow...I thinks its easy to say right now that this will bust for many.

Its just not able to get through the blocking. I looked at TWC and their prediction for new jersey, conn and mass and I just no longer can see that happening.

Might be jumping the gun and that can change in another 6 hours but its just hits a wall.

With that said, major concerns for the Jersey shore because the winds are serious..real serious. It has to be damaging some areas..it constant and eventually be whipped around with rain..and then late snow.

Not a good situation for the coast...but inland? Much wind...but at some point you have to look at whats in front of you and say nope.

Still think there will be heavy back end snow that will eventually lead to correct forecast numbers...but its misleading over a 48 hour period.

9. wexy

wexy Member

Its so windy in Manhattan that I couldn't get out the door of my gym, i thought that they'd locked it. had to use to my shoulder to get out.

10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

4 pm here and not doing anything yet,,,,,,,,it is windy but no precip,,,,,,,,,,I hope this blocking stuff ends already and hopefully some snow falls,,and hopefully a lot,,,,BUT I just read what the house of weather guy has written and it started off promising but the last post or two has me bummed :sad:
    Cman I hope it is still doing things by you ,,,keep us posted

11. jaywayne12

Its not that the numbers will not hit..they will up here..its just that the spread is so vast time wise..it will be nice to look at but not the downpour of snow..now thats me saying all of this without even looking at a radar..so lets hope Im wrong.

Still think the most impressive snow will be tomorrow evening. Let me check..of course all my clients are beating me up today with my real job..fitting.

#3411 jaywayne12, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  12. jaywayne12

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It was very windy up here today. I was getting blown all over the place on the road!!

14. jaywayne12

Ok...heres the best way to show the problem..and this is good stuff.

Here is a radar from accuweather..nice right? Looks like its starting to come down even in north jersey...wow...so many people are getting heavy rain and snow:
    LINK:http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/pennsylvania/weather-radar?play=1

But most of that isnt hitting the ground....here is the actual stuff hitting the ground:
    LINK: http://www.wunderground.com/radar/r...7&lightning=0&smooth0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

And there is the problem. Let me see what tonite brings.

15. jaywayne12

Yeah M..and the winds will get worse tonite..you have a huge high pressure to the north...blocking..and of course a cranking storm to the south..and in between those two the winds will howl.

16. jaywayne12

and Murrell and drew...this is for you:

BROOKLYN, NY
    URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
    411 PM EST WED MAR 6 2013

...A PROLONGED PERIOD OF ACCUMULATING SNOW EXPECTED...
    ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST FRIDAY...

* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN CENTRAL AND SOUTHWESTERN CONNECTICUT...
    SOUTHERN HUDSON RIVER VALLEY OF NEW YORK...PORTIONS OF NORTHEASTERN
    NEW JERSEY...NYC METRO AREA...WESTERN AND CENTRAL LONG ISLAND.

* HAZARD TYPES...WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE EXPECTED
    LATER TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY. AN ADDITIONAL 2 TO 3 INCHES IS
    POSSIBLE THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO
    6 INCHES IS EXPECTED BY FRIDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...RANGING FROM THE UPPER 20S TO THE MID 30S.

* TIMING...A WINTRY MIX EARLY TONIGHT CHANGES TO ALL SNOW LATER
    TONIGHT. MODERATE SNOW MAY FALL AT TIMES THROUGH THE PERIOD.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOW ON ROADWAYS COULD LEAD TO DIFFICULT
    TRAVELING CONDITIONS TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT AND INTO
    FRIDAY. THE HEAVY...WET SNOW...COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS COULD
    LEAD TO DOWNED TREE BRANCHES...AND POWER LINES AS WELL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
    FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
    SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
    DRIVING.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Thanks Jay!!

I'm just so upset about this stupid storm, because almost all of the snow from the blizzard is gone, I was getting ready for spring, and now I have to clear off my front yard in hopes to avoid a flood in my basement...again.... :(

18. jaywayne12

Bust..bust bust. Really sorry guys...but if a guy like me that doesnt get paid for this cant get it right...I feel better that the pro's are going to get killed with this. Not so much in the metro area..but areas north and south of us..huge busts.

Lets face it..the models were all over the place and nobody wanted to lock on to the few models that said what big snows?

Now its going to snow..and many areas in north jersesy by friday will end up with 2-4 maybe 3-6. Murrell might end up with a bit more? CBG might end up with a bit more with the thursday stuff...but any expert that takes credit for snows over a 48 hour period is desperate...and I surely will not take credit for the numbers hitting over that period of time.

19. jaywayne12

No problem M....Kind of hoping things turn sour too..lol..hey even if you get something..it will be gone by Saturday evening..great weekend ahead..sun and 50's

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Believe it or not, we still got minimal snow cover on the grassy areas out here. Jay, there just wasn't enough cold air to feed this thing. Its all good though. I'm ready to get the fishing gear ready for the Spring spawning season. Stripers should start heading north in a few weeks too.

Nice to get a storm this winter. Better luck next year! :beer: