Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Exactly CBG...Will post later tonite..fighting a pretty viscous sinus infection..barely getting out of bed today.

Just checked everything and nothing is shooting out at me except later next week. Nothing. Checked quickly but even tomorrow starts out as rain and changes to snow but not much at all.

Will be back later.

Oh..and Maine for Sunday? If this storm is missing us it may gets its act together a bit after passing us so perhaps that could be correct. Will check it later but nothing big on the horizon right now.

Again, need tonites data to confirm and things can change.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Feel better Jay,,,,,maybe all of us who post here can kick in and purchase an I pad for Jay so when he is banged up and in bed WE can still have him give us our much needed updates :beer:

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Snowing here,,,,,,not sure when it began,,,,,deck is white,,,not. Sure about the streets :breakdance:

4. Drew

Drew Active Member

Nothing in Brooklyn but rain tonight.

Get well, jay.

5. jaywayne12

Hey guys...believe it or not, I just woke up. Im all over the place. And I too woke up to a little snow on my car..but wet streets. Quick hit and its gone according to the radar.

Just checked stuff real quickly and Im just not seeing anything big until next weekend...a few 1-3's but nothing big. Not buying in to this weekend storm. The new data should be processed by now. All the models I checked show this missing by about 200-300 miles out to sea..and a really late phase. Didnt check the models that had it but with all the big gun models saying no...I will check the other ones later.

See ya in morning and thanks. Sinus infections suck.

6. jaywayne12

Good thing about being sick is you are up when others sleep and sleep when others are up..soooo...have been doing some reading and came up with the Great blizzards of 1717. Enjoy. 3 blizzards in 3 days...lol..trends trends trends.

Winter of 1716-1717

The winter, even prior to the Great Snow, had been the worst in memory. The temperatures had not been unusually cold, but in December 1716, there had already been snow to the depth of 5 feet (1.5 m). By the end of January, there were drifts 25 feet (7.6 m) high in a few places, overwhelming the people living in New England at the time.[2]
    The Great Snow

The great snow, depending on the source, began on February 27 or March 1. On February 27 a typical New England nor'easter passed through, with snow falling on some areas and other places receiving a mix of snow, sleet, and rain.[3] The first major snowstorm occurred on March 1, with another on the 4th, and a third, the worst among the three, on the 7th. At some points, the snow would lighten and stop, but the sky would remain cloudy, showing no signs of clearing.[4][3]

Some of the oldest Native Americans had said that even their ancestors never spoke of a storm of this magnitude.[5] Boston received around 40 inches (100 cm) of snow, while some places north of the city reached up to 60 inches (150 cm).[3] In Hampton, Massachusetts, the snow was so deep that people could only leave their houses from the second floor on the lee side of the house, implying actual snow depths of as much as 8 feet (2.4 m) or more.[4] Many single-story homes were buried completely, without even the chimney showing. On the larger residences, drifts reached the third-story window on the windward side.[4] Large expanses of snow were 10–15 feet (3.0–4.6 m) deep, with some significant drifts 20 feet (6.1 m) deep.[5]

The post roads were impassible until at least March 15, with the mailmen describing snow drifts 6–14 feet (1.8–4.3 m) from Boston to Portsmouth more than a week after the storm.[6] Travel was also impossible for a time from New York City to Boston.[7]

The geographic scope of the storm is unknown, due to the scarce population and poor record-keeping of the day. Most information is known only from private diaries. The snow was known to be several feet deep around Philadelphia, New York City, New London, Connecticut, Boston and Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
    [3][6][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Snow_of_1717

#3166 jaywayne12, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. jaywayne12

And here is accuweather...still saying there could be a storm this weekend..and talking about how there is a chance of several major storms from now until the end of the month:

Weekend Snowstorm Not Ruled Out for Northeast

A storm has a chance to take a sharp enough left turn up the East Coast this weekend, perhaps affecting the U.S. and neighboring Canada. The storm would be part of a series of potentially major weather events through the end of February.

The East Coast could be digging out from under more snow this weekend, though the storm would need to take an unlikely path. Though days away, the possibility cannot be ruled out.

The seeds for the potential snowstorm is a series of storms moving into British Columbia. These systems will move southward and and eventually force the Jet stream to take a pronounced dip across the central and eastern part of the U.S. by the start of the weekend.

The storm will then form along the eastern edge of the jet off the Carolina coast late Saturday night. The uncertainty lies in what the storm will do next.

There are two scenarios: The storm can move out to sea as it rapidly intensifies, or it could move north, paralleling the East Coast.

If storm does not move out to sea, much of the Northeast will once again feel the fury of a snowstorm. Accumulating snow will fall as far south as coastal Virginia the spread northward into northern New England.

The I-95 corridor, especially from New York City on northward would receive enough snow and wind to produce difficult and perhaps hazardous travel.

New England would once again bear the brunt of this storm with the greatest snow and strongest winds.

Again...they are going by potential and setup...not models. While this makes sense, the models would have to start to grab that idea by tomorrows 1030 and 1pm updates. Will monitor...but I wouldnt hold my breath guys and girls.

#3167 jaywayne12, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  8. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay feel better buddy,,,,,I look forward to your late morning / early afternoon updates,,,,,,but I still am going by the inlaw models ,,,whenever they come it snows ! Maybe it snows next week but maybe just maybe the models results are different today ?

9. jaywayne12

lol...CBG....I will tell you this, if the models continue to trend snow with your inlaws arrival..you may be on to something bud.

And the models took a first step...baby step yes..but a first step so lets see how the models lay this down tonite with the first data coming in thats good stuff. Tonites models will be working with all on land input so if its going to continue to trend, it would do so big time tonite.

10. jaywayne12

and hold on to your horses my friends...wow...amazing how the models showed one thing but the real experts said..dont count this out yet.

The american model just spit out 6-12 for nyc...and british model just spit out 12 and if the euro model spits out something big...then its game on.

Right now..cautious...very cautious...but this might not be dead...Saturday night Sunday.

and I will say this..if this does happen and its a big if...that number should rise a bit more because as we have talked about, the ingredients are there big time..just need a storm. Now there is a storm it looks like.

11. jaywayne12

and IF this happens...southern new england might get clobbered again..more coastal..but clobbered.

12. jaywayne12

Well..Im sure we beat the national media seeing that this may very well be a very big storm after all. Now..was it one run? I doubt it..because the Canadian...the American...the British...the Navy...all showed basically the same runs between 11 am and now. Incredible turn around.

Now if the Euro shows it at 1pm...we have a storm.

Big question is how close to the coast does it come...a huge storm can still only bring 3-6...but how close does it come..and i think we will need a few more runs to iron that out...tonight late.

13. jaywayne12

Just to show how behind the NWS is right now..here is there forecast for the weekend:

A chance of snow after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29. Northwest wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday A chance of snow before noon, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Northwest wind 7 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 31.

And they go on to explain that we would get no more than a dusting to 2"

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Got negative inches last night in NYC, no new snow and some melted :)

15. jaywayne12

Ok...in a nutshell and Im sure later on some will come on here and be surprised...all week long we have talked about the models saying nothing but the setup being perfect. We also said lets wait until Wednesday night/Thursday but still not buying it.
    Setup shmetup.

Now, todays American Model didnt put out an all out blizzard..but it went from a dusting to around 5-10 with a sharp cutoff at the NJ/PA border.

The Euro model showed not even that..it showed nothing at all. Now the Euro is showing 3-6.

The NOGAPS (NAVY MODEL)..not the most reliable model..showed a blizzard from NYC to Boston.

The British model..and ok model...showed a snowstorm from NYC to Boston

The CMC model...ok model...showed a rain/snow storm from phili to albany and east.

The Japanese model...less than ok..but hot recently..showed a snowstorm from Phili to Boston.

You get the point...crappy models showed a storm (which happens all the time..you would be surprised how many times I see storms on those models but never even mention them in here..I would be listing storms 5 times a day if I did)

Dont mean to bore you here but the bottom line is most crappy models did show a storm...which is rare..but the big guys didnt.

The reason thats so important is not even whether there will be a storm or not..but I mentioned the possible inches the good models came up with today. The reason thats so important is they went from showing nothing..to showing something..not huge..but something.

Are they playing catchup? Are those numbers not the final numbers? Have the crappy models been right the whole time? Or do you end up getting a snowstorm out of nowhere. All day Saturday/Saturday night looks to be the timetable.

Hope it doesn't screw up my friend thats getting married in the Virgin Islands on Sunday..he said his guests were leaving Saturday morning I think? Will check the past posts.

Again..this could be just one run but I have to say...kind of weird week following a storm that was never there.

16. jaywayne12

lolololo...nothing GG? we received about an inch. Came down in about 3 hours and it was over...lol. Yes...with the warming now a negative.

Good one.

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Hey Jay

Keep updates coming please :)

During this off season, Bullshit section is the first place I look when I come to TGG Forum.

18. jaywayne12

Will do my friend. I peek into the Jet forum but get too frustrated until free agency/draft.

Some changes are coming model wise for Saturday..just not sure if its a huge change or just a big change.

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Not gonna say I told you so,,,,,BUT " the inlaws" ,,,,,it never fails ! Let us know what the models tell you Jay I am all ears,,,,and get me a time table when u can,,,,inlaws arrive a.m.

20. jaywayne12

lol..and the GFS lost the storm. That is incredible..and Im not totally buying it. Plus the inlaws right CBG?

Its the in between runs..so heres the deal. At 1am tonite everything will be digested..and at 1030 it will start. So we will know by tonite.

Incredible...no storm..storm..no storm..blizzard..no storm. Lets see tonite.

Oh..time frame is overnight Friday..ending Saturday evening...IF IT HAPPENS.