Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Nothing big on the horizon CBG...Remember the models called for a snowstorm on superbowl? Well, the models are doing a great job on picking up storms..just a horrible job picking up strength. We will get a little snow on Sat night/Sunday..but not enough to throw the party you are looking to throw..lol.

As far as tonite goes..open up the flood gates baby because there is a monster amount of precip heading our way.

Also, major winds..major winds.

Some will lose power..some will end up with downed trees. Should be a wild night. Probably gets cooking from 10pm until 4 or 5 am.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Jay, climate change might put you out of the forecast business. :)

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay thanks for the headship I did not even know we were getting these crazy winds tonite,,,,,,be safe all

4. Cman68

The front has passed us here in So Central Pa. The winds were ferocious.

5. jaywayne12

lol..really cman. Its killing the seals..and killing me. Ok..yeah..Im a conservative so no conservatives coming in here at starting up with me about the seals.

Whether its climate change...human or not..something is happening. Even the snowstorms we have had are so borderline. How do I know that? CMAN...THINK OF YOUR SNOW BLOWER. Every snow storm lately has been a drag on the snow blower right? Not shooting out that powder stuff but slushy stuff. The last 3 years.

Ok....yep the front has moved through central PA and here is a good radar for North Jersey, NYC and L.I. You can expand your search anywhere but its a true radar.

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/r...7&lightning=0&smooth0&showlabels=1&rainsnow=0

Notice the bright yellows showing up to the west. Those are the ones with the heavy rain and strong winds.

6. jaywayne12

High Wind Warning...from the NWS:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
    839 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013

...STRONG SOUTHERLY WINDS THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY MORNING...

CTZ005>008-NJZ002-004-103-105-107-NYZ067>070-311100-
    /O.CON.KOKX.HW.W.0001.000000T0000Z-130131T1100Z/
    NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-
    NORTHERN NEW LONDON-WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-
    WESTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-ORANGE-PUTNAM-ROCKLAND-
    NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-
    639 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY...INTERIOR PORTIONS OF
    NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARDS...DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.

* WINDS...SOUTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

* TIMING...STRONG WINDS TONIGHT THROUGH EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...STRONG WINDS...IN COMBINATION WITH HEAVY RAIN...COULD
    BRING DOWN WHOLE TREES...LARGE TREE LIMBS...POWER LINES AND
    UNSECURED OUTDOOR OBJECTS. THIS COULD POSE A HAZARD TO ANYONE
    OUT DRIVING OR WALKING WEDNESDAY NIGHT...AND TO HOUSES AND OTHER
    STRUCTURES NEAR LARGER TREES. DRIVING WILL ALSO BE DIFFICULT...
    ESPECIALLY IN HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES AND ON ELEVATED ROADWAYS AND
    BRIDGES.

7. jaywayne12

Flash Flood Watch:

...HEAVY RAIN EXPECTED TONIGHT CAUSING POSSIBLE FLASHY URBAN AND
    SMALL STREAM FLOODING...

NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067-069>075-176-178-311000-
    /O.CON.KOKX.FF.A.0001.130130T2300Z-130131T1100Z/
    /00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
    WESTERN PASSAIC-EASTERN PASSAIC-HUDSON-WESTERN BERGEN-
    EASTERN BERGEN-WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-WESTERN UNION-
    EASTERN UNION-ORANGE-ROCKLAND-NORTHERN WESTCHESTER-
    SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER-NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-BRONX-
    RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)-KINGS (BROOKLYN)-NORTHERN QUEENS-
    SOUTHERN QUEENS-
    757 PM EST WED JAN 30 2013

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...
    INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...
    EASTERN BERGEN...EASTERN ESSEX...EASTERN PASSAIC...EASTERN
    UNION...HUDSON...WESTERN BERGEN...WESTERN ESSEX...WESTERN
    PASSAIC AND WESTERN UNION. IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...BRONX...
    KINGS (BROOKLYN)...NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)...NORTHERN QUEENS...
    NORTHERN WESTCHESTER...ORANGE...RICHMOND (STATEN ISLAND)...
    ROCKLAND...SOUTHERN QUEENS AND SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER.

* THROUGH LATE TONIGHT.

* A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL BE ACCOMPANIED BY BANDS OF HEAVY
    SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THIS EVENING INTO TONIGHT.
    WIDESPREAD RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE EXPECTED...WITH
    MAXIMUM RAINFALL RATES CLOSE TO AN INCH PER HOUR WITH THE
    HEAVIEST BANDS OF SHOWERS.

* THESE RAINFALL AMOUNTS COULD CAUSE FLASHY URBAN AND POOR
    DRAINAGE FLOODING...AND FLOODING OF FAST RESPONDING SMALL
    STREAMS. MAIN STEM RIVERS SHOULD REMAIN WITHIN THEIR BANKS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD
    TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.
    YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION
    SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.

8. jaywayne12

9. Cman68

I could sell my snow blower as brand new. I've only used it once over the last 3 years and like you said, it was slushy more than fluffy. You should see Home Depot and Lowes with all those unsold snowblowers out front. The way things are going, 4 months of winter have for all intent and purposes, been compressed into 3 weeks spread out over the entire season. How ski resorts stay in business must be through snow making machines. Hell, I don't remember the last time I saw a below zero reading here in PA. I did see -14 back in Columbus, OH but that was 7 years ago.

Ever since Sandy, the fishing at Belmar has been off. Only two boats going out this season as several cold water species have simply not been around as usual. Mackerel fishing has been dead and the fall Striped Bass run didn't happen. Only two boats going out now mostly for really deep water species. I'm hoping thing stabilize by spring or else..

Point being, everyone is finally noticing the warm up and it really doesn't matter who or what is causing it but whether we can contain it to the point that there are no more Sandy's coming up the coast. Our future, and our children's, depend on it.

10. jaywayne12

Hey...Im all in. There is something going on and arguments can be made on both sides why. But theres an old theory I live by and tell my boys all the time. What if....live your life with what ifs. If those that say we are going through a transition period and its not man made..if thats true..but what if?

By doing the right thing, we cover the what ifs and at the same time do the right thing. So Im all on board my friend..even if I might lean another way...what if?

LOL...I was at Lowes on Saturday and what did I see? My snow blower which ran me about $200 more than the exact one I saw in front of Lowes. You would figure me of all people might see this coming and waited? But cman...what if? lol.

Just checked the radar and central Jersey is about to get pounded and the cells are actually moving north east..not west to east like a normal cold front..so North jersey is next..then southern Conn...NYC..and then LI and Eastern LI.

11. jaywayne12

If Im looking at the radar correctly..you have a few more bomber downpours to come through cman..not out of the woods yet.

12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Not crazy windy in NW new jersey,,,,,,yet,,,,,its after midnight and not bad,,,yet. Hopefully things stay this way,,,,be safe all

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

3 30 a m and it's the wild west outside ! I have one kd in bed with me now because the wind / freight train sound has ALL of us awake ! Sleep well all

14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jay

How does Orlando look for next week? accuweather and weather.com says it will be just dandy. :)

15. jaywayne12

Brook...I dont think the Gods could come together and give a better weather report for central Florida this time of year..if you closed your eyes you would think you are in San Diego. Perfect:

From the NWS:

Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming northwest after midnight.

Sunday Sunny, with a high near 70. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 48. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. North northwest wind around 5 mph.

Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 49. North wind around 5 mph.

Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 73. North wind around 5 mph.

Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 50. Northeast wind around 5 mph.

Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 75. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 53. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday Sunny, with a high near 74. Northeast wind around 5 mph.

16. jaywayne12

That was pretty amazing last night..holy crapola. Exactly 330 is when my entire house woke and said..what the hell is going on?

Just checked the long term and in the short term was pretty impressed with the model numbers for Sat night/Sunday. Nothing huge but it will be a nice day to hang out and prepare for the Super Bowl.

Light to moderate snow with 1 to as much as 4 with some models.

Then the same bout of snow on Tuesday.

Long term? Models are suggesting a huge storm for Valentines day or around and again..Im not biting. I will say this..the models have been dead on predicting a precip event..strength? suck. So something will happen in that time frame.

17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I just love when I come to this site and mozzy over to this thread and I see a post from JayWayne :up:

Then ,,,,,I read what Jay wrote and it says how it might actually snow on Sunday and Tuesday and I get a warm fuzzy feeling !

18. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Hey Jay, I'm debating a quick trip back to Jersey next week. Anything I should be nervous about weather wise coming up?

19. jaywayne12

Thanks CBG...too bad my schedule has started to slow down and I have time to come here several times a day..but nothing huge to report on. Going to check the models that came out at 930 and 1030 to see if anything has changed for Super Bowl Sunday. The storm coming through is a small one that blows up off the coast. The Euro model showed it closer to the coast redeveloping that would give coast nj and LI the chance for a bit more snow.

Will check it out.

BARRY...here is the forecast for North Jersey next week. Right now, only a small storm for Tuesday but I have not really checked out next weekend..will do so now..but here is the latest forecast that does not inlculde the model updated Im going to check:

Sunday:Light snow likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 24. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Light snow likely, mainly before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Night A chance of light snow before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. Breezy.

Monday Night A chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Tuesday Night A chance of snow. Cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 35.

Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 21.

Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 36.

20. jaywayne12

Hey Bar...just checked it and here is an update.

These storms? coming through Super Bowl Sunday...Tuesday..and now next weekend are called Alberta Clippers.

90 percent of the time they are moisture starved and originate near Alberta Canada....they swoop down over the central USA and head for the coast..fast movers that can dump 1 to 5 usually. SOMETIMES they get to the coast and reform and dump heavy snow in the Northeast.

Only the storm next weekend is showing that as a chance and since the first two do not do that..Im not biting AGAIN.

Bottom line, the weather should be pretty decent other than a light snow event Super Bowl Sunday.... Tuesday...and Saturday.

The only major storm showing up on the models now is around Valentines day...and that is way too far out to bite this year.

Again...Super Bowl Sunday should whiten the ground nicely.

The post above this Barry, I listed the general forecast for next week in North Jersey..hope that helps!