Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

typically a homeowners policy insures up to the replacement value, not the appraised value or purchase price. But check your policy.

2. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Got my power back last night... 241 hours, 14 minutes with no power. What a nightmare. I really can't afford a cell phone given all my other bills, so it was candles and sitting alone with a radio for 10 days. Lost a few (maybe 25) roof shingles, but never thought I'd be without power for ten days.

So, like I had said, wasn't too worried about my property, but it was all about the power. The nor'easter caused much more propery damage than Sandy did. I lost every small tree and all the shrubs on my property in that snowstorm. I've propped a few back up, they were knocked down at ground level. The rest were just crushed, broken. We'll see if they survive.

My move to PA can't happen too soon. I've had enough of LI, LIPA and the taxes.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Glad u are ok TBJ,,,,,,,,,welcome back :beer:

The more I see mayor Bloomberg on tv the more I want to throw my tv out a window,,,,,can someone make a new thread and or post the video of mayor Bloombergs press conference the day before sandy hit ? What an A hole ,, he actually said " this storm will in no way be as bad as Irene and the winds will ONLY hit around 50 miles per hour " and " we are here to help others that might be in need of our help " as if to say NY was not in any danger and he fucking kept down playing it,,,,,,,please someone post that video of his press conference!

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Yeah well since you're in the market - you should probably know how insurance works. When they make a payment for a claim, you don't just get the money. The check is written out jointly to you and the bank holding the mortgage. The bank holds you by the balls and can jerk you around as much as they want. Some people who got wiped out by Sandy are still waiting for their bank to release insurance payments from Irene last year, so they're probably not going to be seeing any money any time soon

5. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

My mother also got her power back last night.

6. ThunderbirdJet

Is she in Hicksville? LOL.... the guy I tracked down in a near blizzard Wednesday night to show him where the lines were down told me all these 20 houses had me to thank for getting power back. I've been knocking on doors demanding thanks and free beer ever since, with little success. :eek:hmy:

People are so ungrateful.

7. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

South Merrick.

8. ThunderbirdJet

OK, tell her she doesn't owe me any beer.

\Kidding aside... glad to hear she got power back. It's FAR more stressful than I thought it would be.

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If you look back in this thread...I remember people screaming after his press conference 2 days before...downplaying the whole thing. It was soooo obvious that this storm was going to be a huge hit..huge hit. Was it going to do this or do that was the question.

There are always people that down play future things that might happen because in all honesty..its USUALLY safe to say a storm will never do this or do that. Like the Jet posters..champ for one..always screaming how its been this amount of years since the Jets won a superbowl. When you are competing with over 30 teams, its easy to be a naysayer and predict doom and gloom because your chances are pretty good.

Same with the weather. Bloom tried to be mr cool and calm so after it was over everyone would be saying how level headed the mayor was.

Problelm is that when the storm does what it was supposed to..you look like an asshole. I for one love the fact, now, he won his 3rd term because while some will remember him as the mayor that told you you couldnt smoke here..and you couldnt drink that big soda there...I will remember him as the bozo that put people in incredible danger...and was not prepared for the aftermath.

Saving grace.

#2449 jaywayne12, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

u sir are correct - i found that little nugget of info last night on one of the final pages of the 24 page policy handbook.....

would u happen to know how u can prevent or diminish a jerk around by the mortgagee?

thanks

11. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Jay...I'm starting to hear rumblings about a possible storm right around Thanksgiving.

Do you have your eye on anything?

12. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Damn... You should start a LIPA thread because what is going on in the News with them is an absolute tragedy!

13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

some records set during Sandy...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
    437 PM EST TUE NOV 13 2012

...RECORD SETTING WAVE HEIGHTS AT BUOY 44065 EAST OF SANDY HOOK AND
    BUOY 44025 LOCATED 30 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTH OF ISLIP LONG ISLAND
    DURING THE EVENING OF OCTOBER 29 2012...

THE 32.5 FT WAVE HEIGHT REPORTED AT 850 PM EDT
    MONDAY EVENING OCTOBER 29 2012 AT BUOY 44065 LOCATED NEAR THE
    ENTRANCE TO NY HARBOR - 15 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTHEAST OF BREEZY POINT
    NY...EXCEEDED THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 26 FEET SET AT ABOUT 9 AM
    AUGUST 28TH 2011, ASSOCIATED WITH IRENE.

AT BUOY 44025...30 NAUTICAL MILES SOUTH OF ISLIP NY...THE RECORD 31
    FOOT WAVE HEIGHT
    AT ABOUT 8 PM EDT MONDAY EVENING OCTOBER 29 2012,
    EXCEEDED THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 30 FEET SET ON DECEMBER 11 1992. THE
    PERIOD OF RECORD AT BUOY 44025 BEGAN IN 1975.

14. jaywayne12

The one around Thanksgiving looks to go out to sea...now there is one the week after that looks interesting but has been hit or miss on the models..usually not a good sign for a storm.

I really do not believe the patter will pick up until the middle of December when I think things should get very VERY interesting for about a month..then possible a quite mid winter before things get interesting the end of January.

Thats all long model stuff and take it with a grain of salt.

15. CervezaVerde

CervezaVerde Member

Do the models say anything about raining fire on December 21, 2012?

16. jaywayne12

;artly cloudy...chance of light snow at night..does that count?

17. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]Za46Rmc5hxI[/YOUTUBE]

waterspout off eastcoast australia

18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just hauled the Ariens out from the back of the garage. I'm going to start him up probably this weekend or next just to get it primed for service. Don't jinx me this year Jay..

19. jaywayne12

lol...no you are good Cman. Nothing going on this week or the weekend. The next possible storm would be a week from Thanksgiving. Still a major question mark but will keep an eye out.

This weeks weather starts out chilly and actually warms a bit towards thanksgiving...Jet game should be a pretty nice night!

No Grankowski either...doesnt get better than that.

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jay,,,,,,,might be a good idea ( if you have the time ) to put at least one update on here daily because many people like myself are so fed up with the football team and it's operation that we will not go on the other threads but instead will be coming to " the house of weather " thread more often,,,,,,,just sayin :beer: