Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Now that is a very very smart idea.

2. jaywayne12

lol..why thanks cbg...but like I have said many times before..i have great sources and know where to piece the puzzles..alone with a model or models? I would say sunny with a high in the 80's. But thanks anyway.

NW NJ and Rockland are hard calls because of one simple factor...this is a tight knit storm and the precip totals drop off a cliff from the core center. With that said the models have trended west..meaning closer to the coast and meaning more snow for the interior.

I really think this storm has been downplayed by the media for many reasons..its election night...Sandy..etc.

Some areas in NJ will end up with much more snow than is being forecasted and I do believe areas in Central and North Jersey can get close to 8 inches if not more. What might keep totals down is when the storm starts. Closer to noon and you have 6 hours of sun and will melt the snow. Where that falls apart is the worst part of the storm will be from sundown till midnight.

The models get worse by the hour for coastal NJ too. Wind gusts will be near 55 along with 30's temps gives you windchill temps that will be very dangerous for those with no heat.

Your spots can be in the 4- 8 area but that depends where the band of heaviest sets up..and I do believe you guys could be in that area.

3. jaywayne12

From a very very smart underground weather guy looking at the latest models.

I'm watching the potential for a deformation band in the NJ/NY area which could put down a heavy burst of snow in a short period of time.

deformation bands setup usually left to right or close to from the eye. Most models show that in central and north jersey and lower NY with there final precip amounts. Interesting.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thanks Jay-----we will see how this plays out,,,,,,keep us updated when possible,,,,I will do the same

5. jaywayne12

Will do..np at all.

6. jaywayne12

winds on most models keep increasing...this is going to be a very windy storm for most in the nyc metro area with gusts over 60....the smell of more power outages.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

this evening windspeeds as per NOAA WAVEWATCH..... close to what jay said for East LI:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

waveheights 7-8 meters off the coast w/ fetch of energy focused towards South Jersey Coast

8. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Jay...is way North NJ (Ringwood area) in the crosshairs for significant snowfall and what time do you forsee this thing kicking up? Everything I have seen seems to be downplaying any snow totals for my neck of the woods but from what I gather from your previous updates you beg to differ.

When I know weather is coming, is it sad that I think jaywayne's weather thread before I think TWC?

#2388 DHarris52, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Snowing here already

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

It's snowing here. Snowing pretty bad too. The roads look like a mess with cars not able to get up a very small hill in front of my office. Very strange.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Its snowing, bitches

12. jaywayne12

heavy bands should start entering those areas in the next hour..lol...very funny about the twc.

Like i mentioned yesterday....tough call where the heavy bands set up but the thing that always bothered me was timing for the snow..and with the sun beginning to lose the heating about the same time the heavy snow comes in...forecasted amounts should be exceeded....our local nws just upped their totals from 2 to 4 to 4-8. Where does it snow and where does it stick? Lets put it this way..unconfirmed report out of lakewood nj is that there is near blizzard conditions down there with heavy snow and wind. Two sources.

NNJ...Central NJ...Get ready...in the next hour its going downhill very very fast.

13. jaywayne12

Oh.and murrell...sorry....CT is going to go over their predictions..that is confirmed. CT is getting much more than they originally forecasted...some areas will get 8 at least.

14. jaywayne12

Stink...great maps..really great maps. Many people have said how the wind has died down and thats true...but that will change for many in the next couple hours...and especially closer to the coast.

As mentioned yesterday..saving grace is the direction of the wind..north east...noreaster..winds from the north east and storm moves north east. Compared to Sandy...East..straight up the you know what.

15. jaywayne12

Where are you located poe?

16. jaywayne12

17. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Snow isn't sticking here in Rutherford, NJ. Hoping it stays that way. Leaves still on the trees.

18. jaywayne12

that is the worst part about it...should start sticking between 4pm and 5pm...maybe a bit earlier by you.

19. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Really? I need to set up the snow blower then. I've never used a snow blower before. I got my project for tonight I guess

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

in Manhattan jay