Jason Taylor seeming likely [edited]

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Montana

Montana Member

With or without Taylor, people should recognize that we can improve the pass rush without drafting a OLB at 29.

Jared Odrick, Mount Cody, etc......would have just as much of a positive impact on the pass rush in a Rex Ryan defense, as the addition of a pure pass rushing OLB would.

In fact, I believe adding one of those two, in conjunction with a Taylor signing, would do more for our pass rush than signing Taylor and simply drafting the best OLB available at 29 (say Hughes or Sapp) would.

Taylor won't be the deciding factor as to who we draft at 29, whatsoever........if the pass rush is our priority, they'll take whoever improves it the most, regardless of whether Taylors a Jet or not.

2. Montana

Montana Member

Agreed, in that I don't think the Taylor signing will have any effect on their draft plans........but I think they want it over and done with before the draft, because they know it's better for them to get it done now.

If Taylor comes to the Jets two weeks after the draft and says he wants to sign.......you're right, they wouldn't turn him down.

3. skeleton_frames

Probably true, but I think it does make a difference. If Taylor signs, then for this team, who's building to make a run right now, then getting DL depth becomes more important. In a 3-4 D it's not the DE's job to rush the QB. But being better at end makes it easier for everyone else to get to the QB.

Plus with the improved secondary it's going to be easier to rush the QB anyways.

Basically I see the ideal situation being signing Taylor, then drafting Odrick or (even better) trading down and grabbing Joseph.

4. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

If we draft Jared Odrick (especially if we don't trade up to get him) I'll be on cloud nine.

5. Montana

Montana Member

Agree completely........but I think that's the right decision, even if we don't sign Taylor.

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

He'd be the Wayne Chrebet of our D-Line!

7. mystikol

mystikol New Member

Pretty good post. I'm not sure Bryan Thomas can be a real factor in the pass rush though, even if we improve our D-line rotation with Odrick et. al.

But I do agree that signing JT and adding Odrick/Joseph would be a big boost to our pass rush. If we add an OLB, we'd be grooming him to take over in 1 or 2 years when we get rid of JT.

8. flgreen

flgreen New Member

When the Taylor stuff first started I was for it. Figured if he was important to Rex, he was good for the Jets.

I’ve had it with this BS. Offer a 4th for Osi, and move on. If not draft Greg Hardy in the 4th

9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fuck this guy.

10. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Taylor is making the Jets look like chumps. He's almost begging the Phins to give him a contract rather than go to NY. Woody, Rex, and Tanny kissing his ass is pathetic and unnecessary. A deadline should have been placed on this guys decision the day they had him up in NY.

The Jets are plenty good enough without this clown. They are beyond this crap. You either want to get on the jets train or you don't. You think Parcells would ever publicly kiss any players ass like this?

When he takes less money and a one year deal to stay in Miami, it'll eave an even nastier taste in Jets fans mouths than all the crap he's had to say about the Jets in the past.

11. Montana

Montana Member

Going over the tape from last year, it became pretty evident to me that Bryan Thomas' primary responsibility in Rex's defense, was to stuff the run......his responsibilities very rarely actually entailed rushing the QB.

In fact Rex used Thomas very similarly to how he used Jarret Johnson in Baltimore the year before.

In fact ProFootballFocus' metrics, show Bryan Thomas was one of the top 3-4 OLB's in the NFL last year, against the run.

12. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

I think you are getting worked up over absolutely nothing. I don't see it as the Jets kissing anybody's ass. If he signs...fine. If he doesn't, I don't give a shit. I think he'd help sure, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it because our defense is going to be just fine. And, I most certainly am not going develop a nasty taste in my mouth just because he went back to Miami. I'll just say, "OK," and I'll be watching for the Jets to punch him in his fucking mouth come the first game vs. Miami next year.

13. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They wined and dined him for two days! Now they are giving him time to shop their offer around. He's using the Jets as his binky in case he can't go where he really wants to.

He's not that good to allow him to play diva.

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Jets have made him an offer that they view as fair. Him not giving an answer yet has affected absolutely nothing, and whether or not the Jets are his first choice is completely irrelevant. Giving Taylor an ultimatum to answer immediately because they "wined him and dined him" and are "making them look like chumps" would be the height of stupidity, and I'm quite sure your boy BB wouldn't do it either if he thought a player could make his team better.

15. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

this topic is exhausting

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Who cares? The team he hates the most is the only one interested in him and his old team is fucking with him every chance they get. Why wouldn't he take his time deciding?

As for the Jets, this doesn't effect them at all. If he signs then some TC tryout will get cut a few days sooner, that's about the only effect he would have on the roster. A 36 year old, situational pass rusher isn't going to make a difference in how the Jets draft.

17. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

get over yourself man people do this in the real world all the time. if you have a skill set that is worth bidding on it makes sense to shop yourself. i get that its jason taylor and he is an asshole but any sensible person would be doing the same thing.

18. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

If BB were after him, nobody would know about it.

19. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

The only reason he "shopped" himself is to try and get the Phins to move on a new contract. If he were relly interested in being in NY, he'd have taken the deal by now instead of hoping that the Phins will call him back sometime soon.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He's not thinking about going to the Jets right now, he's waiting to see what the Dolphins offer him after the draft, and if they decide to pass, then he will decide if he can stomach coming to the Jets. We offerred him 2 years at the maximun we could, no neogitating, and the Dolphins, said wait and we will let you know. That's all I need to know and the Jets should tell the agent now or never. Its pathetic, are we inthat bad of shape or is there no pass rushers at 29 and below?