Jason Taylor seeming likely [edited]

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Apr 12, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm not missing the point. Jason Taylor signing should have nothing to do w/ our draft plans. if there is a pass rusher on the board that we feel is the best player available we should still draft him b/c a)you can never have enough quality pass rushers and b)Taylor will be gone before we blink anyway.

IF the best player available is a corner we should still draft a corner even though we acquired Cromartie. Again, we don't know if he's here more than a year and it's another position where you cannot have enough talent.

If it's QB obviously we aren't drafting a QB no matter if he's the best player or not but most positions are still in play despite what talent might be in front of them.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Would you agree that had we not acquired Cromartie we would have selected a CB in the first round even if he wasn't the best player available? What about before getting Santonio Holmes? I'm sure we would have forgone the BPA strategy and picked up a WR.

If Jason Taylor doesn't become a Jet, then I fully expect us to draft a pass rusher in the first round, or trade up for one. Obtaining Jason Taylor would allow us more flexibility in drafting a CB, RB, or whomever becomes the BPA at our draft position.

3. nyjunc

I have no idea what we would have taken if we didn't acquire Cromartie or Holmes? To me nothing has changed, if we feel the best player left is a corner we take him at 29, if we feel the best player left is a WR at 29 we take him. Maybe it takes away the moving up option but I don't think anything has changed and if the best player is a pass rusher we better punce on him even if we have Taylor.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If we signed Sharper to a 2 year deal on Tuesday, do you think we would draft a safety at 29?

5. newcomer

newcomer New Member

Both Taylor and Sharper are too old to affect anything we do on draft day.

6. nyjunc

I don't know, it depends who is off the board. if, on their draft board they have a S rated in the top 15 that is still on the board I'd assume we'd still take the safety but if the best S on the board wasn't high on their big board then no I wouldn't expect to draft a S. Unless 2 prospects are really close I wouldn't expect any draft decision to be swayed by a stop gap player.

7. mystikol

mystikol New Member

We would, at least, have less need to draft a player at OLB who would make an immediate impact. Instead, we can take more a risk by drafting a project or a guy who is talented but has an injury history.

If we don't sign JT, we are pretty much forced to spend one of our top 2 draft picks on a pass-rushing OLB (instead of straight BPA). So, this does affect our draft strategy, it should affect our draft strategy, and signing JT would be a good thing for the organization (personnel-wise).

8. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

if we get jason taylor i would love us to draft
    1) earl thomas safety
    2) mike iupati guard
    3) jared odrick de

9. Montana

Montana Member

Bingo.

Cromartie and Holmes additions are in no way comparable to the addition of Taylor......and Mike T has pretty much said precisely that.

While he's already stated in the past they felt they were gonna be forced to take a CB, but the addition of Cromartie enabled them to go back to 'best player available'

#229 Montana, Apr 16, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  10. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

I will be one happy camper if he doesn't sign with us. fuck him

11. Montana

Montana Member

Zero chance Thomas is available at 29......slim but highly unlikely Iupati is either.....and from the sounds of things Odricks been climbing draft boards since the combine, with teams like the Patriots and Ravens having interest in front of us.

I love all three players for our team and would be thrilled if we added any of them, but it looks like guys like Jerry Hughes, Terence Cody, Tyson Alualu, are all more likely candidates.

12. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

no they aren't that's the point. if they are signed on to play for this year they are stop gaps. the entire point of a stop gap is to fill a need for the short term which means a long term solution can wait. if the jets don't get taylor they will probably feel very inclined to take the best pass rushing prospect available at #29 no matter what. this means that if a team calls wanting to trade up back into the first round the jets probably decline and make their pick at #29. now if taylor is on the team they no longer feel as inclined to fill the pass rushing hole at the first possible opportunity because no immediate need exists. signing taylor would significantly change the mentality of everyone involved in the decision making process during the draft.

13. Montana

Montana Member

I absolutely loathe Jason Taylor, but if you go back and watch game tape from last year, you'll see why Rex wants him on this team as a situational pass rusher.

He played in over 80% of Miami's defensive snaps last year and as games (and the season) wore on his game suffered....but when he was fresh, Taylor was still doing some great work on the weakside, both against the run, and rushing the passer.

If he comes in here, he'd enter into a platoon with Bryan Thomas.....Thomas playing the majority of 1st and 2nd downs as well as clear running situations (Thomas was one of the best weakside backers in the NFL against the run last year), and a fresh Taylor would come in on third downs and clear passing situations to create havoc and create pressure.

Taylor would directly improve our pass rush himself.....he'd indirectly improve our pass rush by making Pace better (teams couldn't double team him as much), and he'd indirectly help our run defense by helping to keep Bryan Thomas fresh.

It's a no brainer signing.

14. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

your right but that is my wish list.
    1st is a pipe dream
    2nd prayer
    3rd reasonable

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I wouldn't be at all disappointed if we ended up with Cody. I hear Terrance Cody is a 24/7 football guy with his mind on the game. Sorta like the anti-Gholston. I'm sure Rex loves that type of players

16. Montana

Montana Member

Just sayin'

17. Montana

Montana Member

Damn near my dream wish list as well, although mine would have Brandon Graham in there as well.....and a guy I'm falling in love with, if we miss out on all the guys you listed and end up trading down, is Tyson Alualu. Kids gonna be a good one.

18. Montana

Montana Member

Cody at NT, with big Jenk at DE?......that's some serious beef for a O-line to handle. Who do you double team?

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

And Taylor on 3rd down. Can you imagine?

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

I think whether we sign Taylor or not, our biggest need is on the d-line.. the only guy under 30 is DeVito and he's just a backup. We have a hole at starting DE with Douglas still a f/a, Ellis is getting up there in age, so is Jenkins plus he's coming off an injury. I would love to see us draft Odrick or Cody.