JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

With Scott, pace, and Thomas likely gone next season we are going to be drafting line backs somewhere. May as well grab the best of the best if we can. I think Te'o will be gone by the time we are picking.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I love Te'o as a prospect. For an ILB prospect, he's extremely productive, and he'd be a great leader type to have. The Jets could use both of those qualities. I'd just much prefer an outside linebacker or an offensive player. I just worry how important ILB is as a position the way the NFL is going. The Jets already have Harris and Davis as our developmental prospect; can we afford to take an ILB in round one?

It's an interesting debate.

3. Jets are not in a position to go need over player. Above all else they desperately need plus players. If they have a shot at Te'o and he's the best available you move forward under these assumptions..

1. Both Te'o and Davis have some versatility to play OLB if needed be. Additionally Harris' liability in pass coverage is no longer an issue.

1b. You consider trading Harris for more draft ammo & to cut salary

2. Te'o brings a leadership quality the Jets have been lacking. He'll be an instant resurgence into the organization.

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

if we didn't draft manti teo id be pissed. he seems like a nice guy

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

him along with Revis, would be great for our defense leadership wise.

6. Fatman&Robin

Fatman&Robin Member

Can't pass over Te'o. Not only is he more physically gifted than Harris (not slow), but his mentality and leadership would be great in our defense. Harris' contract is terrible and it would allow us to trade him for some cap relief. Te'o may be the first defensive player since Woodson to win the Heisman (is Manziel standing in his way?) and is the type of acquisition that could transform the mentality of this defense.

Regarding Jones, what's the deal with this spinal issue? It seems serious considering it forced guys like Irvin and McNeil to retire, and the eldest Manning boy to quit football entirely. Is he going to drop like a stone?

7. Laszlo Kovacs

Laszlo Kovacs Active Member

It was enough for USC to not allow him to even practice, so teams are probably going to view him as a short term investment like McNeill, which will cause him to drop in the draft. Jets are going to pass on him, if he drops that far, as Woody can't risk having a neck injury time bomb blowing up in the face of Johnson & Johnson.

8. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that Jarvis and Ogletree are leaning towards returning for their final year. no official word of course at this time, but if true it's going to really re-arrange some draft boards.

9. 1968jetsfan

I don't know, I'd be tempted to go with Warmack if both are on the board. Both are special at their position and Warmack would really solidify the O-Line.

10. New England Patriots

New England Patriots Well-Known Member

If true, this may be one of the weakest drafts in a long time.

11. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

I don't think these two will really change the perception of this draft that much. Its already one of the weakest ever. Sure, it would make it even weaker, but its already pretty weak to begin with.

This draft doesn't have a single Top 10 prospect QB, RB or WR. Maybe Geno Smith, but no one is super excited about him like they were with Luck, Griffin or even Tannehill.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It's not one of the weakest drafts, but I agree it's not great.

It's weak at the top and most of Rd 1 and the QB position.

You want be in the top 5 to get players like Te'o, Jones, Star & maybe Milliner.

Most should try to trade out of the Top 10, but you won't find many, if any buyers.

Rd 2 & 3 are going to yield some very good talent.

I'm predicting no QB will go in the top 15.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I asked a friend of mine who has some contacts at UGA. he said he'll ask around.

14. 1968jetsfan

Cool, just some chatter I've picked up, but it's not exactly reliable in terms of sources.. But it wouldn't surprise me in Ogletree's case, I'd be surprised if Jones doesn't declare though, I doubt he'd want to risk substantial injury and drop his draft status anymore.

15. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

If Jones doesn't come out, I'd say revamp the offense and focus on a pass rusher next year

16. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Jones would be foolish to stay, at worst he's a top 5 pick.

17. 1968jetsfan

No argument there, It was just rumor based on comments that they weren't thinking about the NFL draft right now...which is the correct thing to say after you just got beat, and the rumor mill started kicking up. after doing some more reading of what was actually said I don't put much stock in them staying in college.

18. catsigater

catsigater New Member

If you need a safety, Matt Elam's probably coming out.

19. 1968jetsfan

Isn't Elam more of a strong Safety? Seems to me we need more of a free safety type. But then again I've been wrong before.

20. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

What do you fellas think of Dion Jordan?