JARVIS JONES or MANTI TE'O, the only Defensive choices in Rd 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Diddy

Diddy Active Member

I heard something interesting about Jarvis Jones, apparantly while he was at USC he had a neck problem, hasn't poped up at Georgia, but it will be something that will studied and researched at the combine.

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

I think theres a little too much optimism about how bad the Jets will be the rest of the season.

While id absolutely go nuts if any of these elite names landed on our defense, the reality is the Jets have a pretty slim chance at being a top 10 pick this year.

Were 3-5 and through the toughest part of our season. Wouldnt make sense for us to finish 3-5 now going through the easiest part of our season

Now we have a slew of absolutely horrific teams coming up for 6 of our remaining 8 games. The other 2 are winnable as well.

I think much more realistically the Jets are a 7-8 win team with an outside chance at 9. Which means somewhere from 10-18

If the Jets win vs Seattle it pretty much all but guarantees that the Jets wont have a top 10 pick

i dont know if I see us drafting defense unless either the offense talent SUCKS (and we cant trade down) or unless a monster defensive talent is on the board.

If this team finishes with 6~ wins the offense is definitely going to be seeing the biggest changes.

At least the defense can "blame" them being bad on losing Revis for the year

3. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I am so tired of the Jets are done, lets just hope for a top five draft pick. While it might be true that the Jets are done, there is basically no chance that we get a top 5 draft pick, heck there is basically no chance that we get a top 10 draft pick. I see the worst case scenario as us winning 7 games. If we go by the standards of what pick 7 wins would have gotten us last year, it would be the 11th or 12th pick, and seven wins is probably worst case scenario. I would say there is a 90% chance that we draft between 11-20. With about a 9% chance that we make a playoff run, and a 1% chance that we get a top ten draft pick. A top ten draft pick just isn't happening guys. Look at our remaining schedule. This Jets team might not be that good, but look at what we have done this season. With the exception of the Miami game, we have won all the games most would expect us to win and lost all the games people would have expected us to win. This is a pretty average football team, which is why we will be drafting between 10-20.

People really overreact because this is NY. If the Jets were located in Kansas City, people would not be talking about us much. We would just be seen as an average football team. Instead, you have all this basically $hit talk. It is what is is. The Jets are an average team that will be picking between 11-20.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

5. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I agree with WW. I hope we get some offensive reinforcements in this draft, but if Jones or Te'o are there, it would be near impossible for me to pass that up.

I like Star. His motor concerns me a little bit, but with Wilkerson already well on his way to being a stud and Coples showing some signs, the Jets could have a ridiculous defensive line for a long time. Would probably throw Star in that mix, too.

6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Either one would be great but since we have no legit pass rushers getting Jones would be a little better imo. Doubt he's there after pick #3-4 tho.

7. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Can Jones play 3-4 OLB, 6'2 242, he'd need like 8-13 more pounds and muscle

8. laxin

laxin Active Member

He looks like he's 232...

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Rumors of D. Moore of Texas A&M possibly returning to school for senior year...which would be devastating for us. He'd be so perfect for us if we pick in the 8-12 range.

10. laxin

laxin Active Member

It'll be hard to return to school when he hears that his projected stock is around the high first round from the NFL draft advisory board.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

If the Jets are looking for a 3-4 OLB, Moore isn't the best choice. I believe Moore's skill set and size is better suited in a 4-3 defense. Rex uses both fronts, but it's clear he favors a 3-4.

I'm not as much of a Moore fan as some people.

12. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

Star, Jarvis Jones, Manti Te'o, Bjoern Werner, Moore

13. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

True, he's 6'3 241. L.T. was a smaller OLB, he was 6'3 235 and he was pretty f'n good. Not saying Jones will be as good as L.T. but his speed and ferociousness should out weight his size and shouldn't hinder us rafting him if he's there.

14. Petey

Petey Active Member

And there's no reason to believe he's incapable of adding a little weight. James Harrison is listed as 6'0 242. I think if Jones can bulk up to 250 lbs, he should be fine. It's also reasonable to expect that he'll get a little bigger once he gets in an NFL weight room anyway.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think sometimes we all get too concerned about a player's height and weight. As far as Jones, he's an OLB, and he will be fine in either system...4-3 or 3-4.

16. Petey

Petey Active Member

That's probably true. No two people are the same. It's like in the NBA where you could have a guy who's 6'9 but plays like he's 7'0 or vice versa. Generally if a guy's good at what he does and it projects well at the next level, it's really splitting hairs when discussing height and weight.

17. Tommy Gunnz

Tommy Gunnz Member

I think TE'O is going to be a top 5 pick, do we REALLY end up having THAT bad a season?!?!?

18. afternoondelight

if we were to trade harris, what would be the value for him. 3rd round?

19. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

big contract maybe a 4th but then again, I like him and Davis together

20. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I take your word for everything regarding prospects, Jones is #1 on my wish list