J. Clayton on 1050..On Titans Pick that will effect Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsTillDeath, Apr 4, 2006.

1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

On that note, with the news about McNair yesterday, perhaps everything is a smokescreen and the Titans aren't even taking a QB. If McNair restructures and they still have Volek, it isn't inconceivable that they try and give McNair one (or two) shot(s) at a title and draft D'Brick to replace Brad Hopkins.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Clayton is so full of himself. I don't care how bad he thinks the Jets want Ferguson...if by some miracle the Titans pass on Leinart, the Jets will take him. End of discussion.

3. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

Yea, I agree. I've said it before, but those who claim to know the true intentions of any team at this point in the draft process would also have reported in 1972 that the break-in at Watergate was an elaborate plot by some burglars to steal paper clips and pencils.

4. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

There is no incentive to smokescreen if they aren't taking a QB though. Noone is moving to #2 to take Ferguson.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I've been saying this could happen. If Leinart falls to the Jets there's no way in hell they pass on him. Well - I suppose if someone could make us an offer we could not refuse we would.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I believe the Jets strategy for the 4th pick will be as follows
    1) If Bush is still there you take Bush (not going to happen)
    2) If Bush is gone but ML is there you take Leinart (could happen)
    3) If both gone and DeBrick is there you take him (very possible)
    4) If all three gone you take Williams or trade down (most likely)

7. FITM

FITM 2006 TGG.com Best Photoshop Artist Award Winner

This would be crazy if he dropped to us. Amazing!

Main reason I didn't want Leinart is because I didn't want to trade up, but if he drops to 4, and if Mario Williams is gone, then it would be stupid to pass on him.

8. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

you would love this wouldn't you! the fetish continues.

(haha, just kidding. kind of.)

cheers

9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that's silly. what you are proposing is trading the 4th pick for a lower 1st round pick, which would be a player not as good, and maybe a second and/or a third, just for the sake of getting extra bodies, but those bodies in combination still don't equal the potential value of Matt Leinart.

Matt Leinart is more valuable than simply a few extra players drafted in the later rounds.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Who wouldn't love this? I really don't have a fetish for Matt Leinart...I have a fetish for getting a good football player.

Either way it isn't going to happen.

11. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

Lol anyone who thinks the Titans will pass on Leinart is just crazy! clayton just likes talking about his "insider-info", but truth of the matter is he's just trying to fill up some air time....no way this happens....

12. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

No way Leinart will fall to #4. The titans will pick him up with the #3 pick. The titans have Norm Chow as an offensive coordinator, Leinarts college coordinator in college, Chow loves this guy and he is comfortable with him. I never believe or trust Clayton, he not only isnt very smart i think but he hates the jets.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

If Leinhart falls to 4, and the Jets don't take him, I will rush the stage...

And HIGH-FIVE Tanny and Mangini. I am wholly convinced that Young and Leinhart are going to be the biggest busts in the draft. Leinhart's pro day wasn't even that good, yet he keeps talking about how he solidified himself. He must have learned from the Keyshawn School of Self Promotion.

If we are dead-set on taking a QB in round 1, I would most like to grab Cutler. Given the choice, I would skip QB in round 1 altogether, and grab Croyle later on Day 1. Even better than that, create a package and trade for someone's first rounder next year, stick with Penny/Ramsey/Bolly, and go after Quinn next year. Who knows, maybe the diamond is already here, and we are sitting on our franchise QB. Why bother grabbing a guy that could possibly be a phenominal bust?

14. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

I agree though I think they may go Williams over D'Brick if both are there. That last "can't miss" LT was Gallery and he's an OK RT right now. D'Brick is Jones with longer wingspan, probably a bit more upside, but less NFL experience so to me Williams is the better fit for us.

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

I dont see the Titans taking Young over Leinart, not with Norm Chow now in Tenn. I wont believe it until I see it.
    Young is not first round material, who wants a QB that is still learning how to throw from under center.

16. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

Honestly, I don't understand why the Titans are even contemplating a QB in round one.

They have so many holes that need to be filled besides QB, it just doesn't make sense. McNair still has a few productive years left in him, and they just locked up Volek, whom they supposedly really like.

I would think that they would want D'Brick, Hawk, or someone else that fills a glaring need on a team that has so many holes.

At this point their starting left tackle is Michael Roos (who?) making the D'Brick pick make all the more sense.

Or, they trade down, get Winston Justice and someone else.

Selecting a QB just doesn't make sense to me.

17. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

Guys, I have been saying this for the past two weeks. DO NOT be surprised if Tennessee takes Young over Leinart. The front office loves him and was very impressed with his workout. My gut has been telling me the Titans take Young for a long time.

And I dispute the idea that Leinart has the best college resume. He was 37-2 vs. Young's 30-2, but Young still could have returned his senior year and would easily have bested Leinart's college record. Plus Young bested Leinart in every category this past season - pass efficiency, total offense, major awards, and of course the Rose Bowl. Add to that the fact that Young showed more improvement from season to season than Leinart and you have a clear indication that Young has the bigger upside.

The only argument for Leinart is that he will make a better transition to the NFL than Young. That is opinion and speculation, not fact. The college resume favors Young.

18. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

You're too hard on Bollinger. I thought he did a creditable job with what he was given last season.

19. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

My opinion is the Jets should not trade up for Leinart, but if he does fall to #4they have to take him. He would be the best value pick for the Jets' needs at #4 if the draft goes Bush, Williams, Young...

20. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Agreed. If we take him we should go for an RT at #29.