It's The Coaching, Stupid

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wahoo, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I've rarely seen a Parcells coached team show sloppy tackling. On the other hand, Herm's team repeatedly showed what sloppy tackling is (or was) with Jets. Does that ring a bell to you? Or are you still deluded?

2. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I think its obvious to everyone that the team is just not playing for this guy. He has lost them. No influence. All you see are players walking around with heads down, hands on their hips. This season was lost when they came out unprepared for Denver. It showed the coaching staff was in over their heads. Time for them to go.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

*Pro* football. Professional football. These guys are paid to know the rules, the playbook, and to make plays.

Why should anyone be coaching football fundamentals on a professional level? MAYBE to a rookie, but come on...veterans? Guys like Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Law, Smith, and so on?

Also, we have NO IDEA what is done to prep the team over the course of the week. What do you guys even know about the gameplan you keep talking about? And what exactly makes a play a "bad playcall?" It either works or it doesn't work, and guess who makes it work?

Even if you already have us not in the playoffs. Even if you have us not doing a single thing in the playoffs. What exactly is so special about this years Super Bowl? Is this years Super Bowl worth so much to the franchise that if we don't win it everyone should lose their jobs? And whats fair in hiring a new guy to take over an upgraded version of another guys team, after that guy took 2 years to acquire significant long term pieces to HIS team? He gets two years to put together enough talent that he can compete for a while, and that "while" turns into "one year?"

Think small, and you'll stay small. What do you expect to get done by firing them? The new coach would be taking over an upgraded version of this team, and theres already alot of talent on this team. Why can't Mangini just play with his team and see where it goes?

From what it seems, the Jets as an organization seemed to have realized this. I mean fuckin hi...they let Parcells build a team to compete for the long run, and then had their hands pinned into hiring a bunch of coaches at once trying to replace him while his team aged.

It'd be a mistake to fire Mangini and Schott at least. Shit, it wouldn't surprise me to see Schott leave by his own choice. I remember for a while there was alot of positive talk about Brian Daboll's future. Sutton is going to be out like nasty smell like vapours once Mangini purchases the good shit. I don't know who that is, but I like Mike Nolan or even Crennel.

Passing the blame around has gotten this organization nowhere in 40 years, maybe they should try something new.

#43 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  4. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

I disagree. I think Westhoff is the only coach who should remain on this team. I honestly think he's a brilliant ST coach. The evidence is how many Pro Bowl-caliber or nearly Pro Bowl-caliber KR's the Jets have had since he's been the ST's coach. Several different people have excelled at kickoff returns on the Lets and it all comes back to Westhoff's schemes. Plus, he's the only coach on the team with any fire at all. I love seeing him swinging his cane around and screaming at players.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

I can generalize too.

Football can't be looked at in a vacuum. That just does the game no justice.

Herm's D just never got itself a good DT combo going. As soon as they did, they let him go. Remember '04?

6. JetsLookingforDWare

Let's not go crazy here, cause I'm willing to bet Patrick Willis knows how to tackle a RB. I'm not saying it wasn't nice of Singletary to give an All-Pro LB some in-game coaching because he missed a tackle. I'm saying he has more important shit to do.

To a point, but just like with good playcalling/bad playcalling...guess who's job it is to make sure the penalties don't get done in the end?

I remember people used to praise Mangini for making players run laps in practice for committing penalties. Now because a team with like a million new guys and young players is committing more penalties than ever before under Mangini, he can't keep a team disciplined?

I mean you can complain about these things, but when you really think about it theres nothing going on. On Sunday it's all about execution, and the Jets aren't doing that as a whole. Coaches are just the easier to blame.

I agree, but I also think that that is more a result of inexperience rather than incompetence. It's a judgment call, but that's where I seem to differ with many here.

#46 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

Well, my point was that even all-world LBs like Willis suffer lapses like "missing tackles" sometimes. we know he has the ability, but it still happens. again, he has the ability, but it even happens to the best of em. knowing this, a coach needs to set that shit straight when he sees it, because again, it can happen to the best of players despite the fact that these players have the ability to carry out such simple fundamentals as tackling.

and how come shit like that wouldn't be seen as important to a coach??? yeah, he may have some other important shit to do, but that shouldn't mean he should take any of the other coaching shit that he has to do any more lightly. i'd hope that coaches take shit like coaching up their players like singletary did a little seriously, because last time i checked, thats just some of the kinda shit coaches are supposed to do.

and if you're referring to mangini in that "he has more important shit to do", i mean, yeah, it's really shown lately. mangini's too busy with other important shit to deal with some light shit like that. he's gotta worry about all that other important coaching shit, like actually making smart in-game decisions, making in-game adjustments, and implementing schemes that seem effective against the opposition, whether their is a lack of execution or not.......and other shit like that. i mean, it's obvious he's been focusing on all this other important shit.....rightt????

even with a buncha new guys, and a buncha young guys........we've had the entire season to work shit out like this and it still hasn't been figured out??? What the hell kinda other important shit has mangini been focusing on this entire season??

also, reports stated that mangini's been a lot lighter on actual conditioning this year. i'd be interested in finding out whether those penalties still exist or not. just wonderin, and jus sayin would be nice to know, but w/e, who knows.

8. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

We have a winner.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

great post jmiller, however you are not going to convince dware of anything. he will continue to say the same shit over and over. its quite tiring after a year or so.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The coaches haven't been great but we were 8-3 w/ 2 great back to back road wins, was it the coaching then? all of a sudden our coaches go from being great to sucking overnight?

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If anybody thinks Mangini has any chance of escaping his well earned fate then just think of how many PSLs Johnson lost today.

12. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Well, according to you, Herm is better than Mangini anyway, so why are you now defending Mangini? Your husband is about to get canned out in KC, so you're picking a new husband? What does Herm think?

13. Russ Reign

Russ Reign New Member

Assinign calls throughout the season = bad coaching!!!

For instance, on the road in Seattle against a team that is pumped up for Holmgren's last home game... 4th and goal at the 2... WHY KICK THE FG??? If you try to punch it in and miss, you still have the Seahawks (far from an offensive juggernaut) pinnned at their own two IN THE SNOW... HOW DO YOU HAPPILY TAKE THE FG HERE???

This is just one in a littany of ridiculous "I know better than EVERYONE ELSE IN THE LEAGUE BECAUSE IM SOOO SMART" calls that Mangini has gone against the grain with this season... including...

Pulling Feely off the field and punting... and NOT PUNTING on 4th down in 4th 1/4... even Boomer said on TV - these things cost coaches their jobs - he was basically calling for this idiot to be axed...

In any of our regular jobs, if we were crushing the competition on market share, and then wound up giving it all back at year end to SUB PAR compeitors, we would be FIRED. So should MANGINI. Bring on Cowher. Or ANYONE for that matter.

14. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We have no game pplan.

Our coaching sucks on all sides of the ball.

I say clean house and have Cowher come in.

Look what a good coach can do in Miami.

We have more on the field but can win.

15. JetsLookingforDWare

Mangini did the exact same thing his first year.

Does legit football analysis really only run this deep? People not only have pathetically short term memories, but any choice they make is on the extreme end of the spectrum.

So, what would the new coaches job be? Win with Mangini's team?

See if this whole "Fire everyone" campaign was even somewhat well thought out by whoever is posting it...I might buy into it. But theres no thought that goes into this stuff but "ZOMG WE LOST OR ALMOST LOST EVERYONE MUST GO!!!" It's crap, hack analysis.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I disagree. That was the same exact team that had been to the playoffs two years before he arrived. From that day forward he proceeded to tear it apart by insisting on his 3-4 defense when we had nobody who could play it.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Herm is better than Mangini but I still see positives from Mangini and it's not good to get a new coach every few years.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Disagree all you want, no one was saying this shit when it happened.

BTW: Who'd we have that could play the 4-3 back then? Robertson and Vilma...woooo. Man that D coulda/woulda/shoulda been dominant...:rolleyes:...I say we harp on it in hindsight together somewhere.

Mangini took a 4-12 team and made them a 10-6 playoff team. How's that different from whats going on in Miami? Miami was just good a couple years ago...so should that coaching staff right now be knocked?

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yesterday was our worst game under this coaching staff. I vote - clean house. I have seen enough. To come out and play so incredibly poorly against Seattle is just inexcusable at all levels.

We couldn't get a pass rush on a practice squad makeshift offensive line when we have like $70 million in salaries on the other side; pathetic; disgraceful; unforgivable. Plus we let their mediocre runner get over 100 yards on us by the middle of the third quarter; just hideous.

If I were Woody, I wouldn't even wait until the last game of the year; I would can them now and I wouldn't even hesitate.

If anyone thinks we are going to win next weekend and NE is miraculously going to lose to Buffalo; dream on. It aint happening. First, we are going to mail it in next week. Penny is going to beat us in our house - count on it.

#59 GreenHornet, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

In all honesty, they should've lost the last 4 games. If they don't get a 'gift' from Jauron, this team is 8-7 and done. Not that they already aren't...