It's Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Aug 26, 2009.

1. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I'm pretty happy with the idea of Sanchez starting. Kellen really didn't win the job. I don't know if I agree with the notion going on around this board that the only reason for him starting is salary, I'm sure it weighed in.

Given all is equal on the field, I'm sure there were 50 million other reasons to start. I'm not totally sure it was equal on the field either. KC is just not fast paced enough. He and Gholston should be sitting on a porch somewhere like Bartles and James. They both have the tools to succeed, they just don't have that winning drive.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Hmmm.... I may have to rethink my objections to trading Clemens. I don't think Denver would do this, but if they did, I don't think you pass on this one.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If it is truly an owner lockout and not a strike they may be on very shaky ground trying to enforce that. For sure there will be suits.

4. Section 227. Row 5

I don't think Clemens lacks "winning drive." At least, I can't imagine that.

But I've often wondered if Clemens lacks the mentality, the quickness of mind and the ability to make the correct snap decision. None of us are privvy to the real reasons behind the Sanchez decsion, but there have been reasons why the Jets organization has had its doubts about Kellen all along (bringing in Favre, then drafting Sanchez being the two most tell-tale signs). These are not things you do if you're convinced your #2 QB has what it takes and only lacks repetition and/or practice in live games.

The fact that he comes out again this year and proceeds to make the mental errors necessary to throw all the picks he's been spraying around only reinforced the original doubts, and this is why I believe Sanchez is now your starting QB. They were giving Clemens one more chance to prove he has "it," and he demonstrated that he does not, unfortunatly. I'm with Reilly when he says it's too bad about this, but no one will ever be able to say we didn't give KC adequate opportunity to win the starting job.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Yeah, I'd like to see Woody try to 'splain that one. LOL

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

If KC starts and throws Pick Sixes then Ryan can easily replace him w/Sanchez and Ryan can point to the fact that KC was the 2d rd pick 7 the Vet who was given a chance but it didn't work out. But Sanchez is Ryan's 1st rd. pick and if Sanchez comes out and stinks - It will be difficult to bench him for KC. Hopefully Sanchez does a good job and we beat the texans. If not we will have a very legit QB controversy heading into the Pats game.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

When the Jets selected Sanchez, and Ryan mentioned that the best qb would win the starting job in camp and pre-season, I hoped one or the other would go out and win it, show they clearly deserved to be the starter. It didn't matter which did, although I did think there was a scenario where Clemens could improve his trade value, which would have been good for the Jets.

None of that has happened, imo, as Reilly and others have pointed out. Yes, Kellen didn't win the job, but neither did Sanchez grab it with a stellar performance. I'm not saying I expected otherwise, just hoped.

Where this leads us I think is to respect that Ryan had to make a choice, and has made it, so the direction is clear, but I am not necessarily ecstatic with the situation, and the upcoming season, quite frankly, does not look all that much like one that should inspire ecstasy. The longer term view, instead, is the better one.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

There will be no QB controversy headed into the Pats game. There is no way in hell that happens. Now, if Dirty goes out and sucks badly for a number of weeks in a row you might have one, but not after one game.

No matter what decision Ryan made he would be criticized if it didn't work out. That's just the way it goes.

9. Don

Ryan has a news conference scheduled for 2 PM which ESPN will carry live. I am sure this will be brought up.

10. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

As for the winning drive, I totally think he lacks it. While I don't know him personally, he just doesn't project it, if he does. I'm the first one on board with the notion that KC never proved anything other than what he appears to be at this point. And you're right, he doesn't make very good decisions and when he does make the right decision, he often waits too long. Last week I believe Rex said he knew the playbook inside and out. We've seen him make some throws. All I know is, he was given plenty of time to show that he can start.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Sanchez, in his limited time, showed enough potential for me. That's all I need.

12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

we'll see if he's a gamer or not

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Stop playing Madden. It's affecting your ability to think reasonably.

14. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

MY sentiments exactly! The fact that they gave the kid $50mil plus he has all the makings of what can be a great NFL QB, despite his horrible start in Monday nights game, I just saw some things in this kid that let's me know he's gonna be solid for us.

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Neither QB really played well enough to stand out as a clear choice but given Sanchez's draft position, it makes sense to go with the future of the franchise right now.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is the logical vote to take at this point: the Jets have not won more than 6 games in an odd year since 2001 - 6 in 2003, 4 in 2005 and 4 in 2007.

I think they'll do better than that this year but I understand people who think the odds say 4 to 6 wins because they do.

17. ........

........ Trolls

Great post. Yeah, having watched him at Oregon, I've been surprised that he hasn't been able to put it all together, even with the excuses that have been lobbied in his favor. He's had adversity that has affected his mental state, but real winners still step up in the face of that adversity. He hasn't, and now the eggs go right into Sanchez's basket.

18. Don

ha..what a coincidence..Chris Simms has a high ankle sprain and will miss at least 2-4 weeks per ESPN..Denver has no viable 3rd string QB on the roster

19. 1usctrojan

1usctrojan New Member

The fact that Mr. Kellen could not outplay a struggling rookie with only 16 college starts is the story here.....it's not about Mark's performance at this point, but more about what Kellen failed to do - use the huge plus of his years in the system to separate himself from a kid.

I hope the fans stay patient...it's going to be a bumpy ride. Fight On! Mark, play well for the team and your fans.

20. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Many would say they have a bunch of 3rd stringers and no Viable starter :grin: